Lancasters and a Vulcan at Waddo

geedubelyer

Hi gang,

I was very lucky last week to get the opportunity to see the two Lancasters with their younger sister at the RAF Waddington event. originally I had been slated for work but managed to persuade my boss that I could go in later and still complete everything. :whistle:

Fortunately I live quite close to the base so got dropped off on the A15 and walked in. There was a long queue of cars parked on the verge as I walked past.

Once in I headed for the barrier and staked a claim. It was perishingly cold and the skies were leaden and threatening. Slowly the perimeter began to fill with expectant folk who had travelled from far and near. The atmosphere was so friendly. I conversed with complete strangers as we all waited in eager anticipation. After what seemed like an age a fellow I was stood next to spotted two tiny silhouettes loitering on the horizon.

Two Hawk trainers flew over before the Lancasters finally made their way over from Coningsby.

In line astern formation the two beautiful bombers made a single pass before breaking for landing.

TheLancsarrive_zpsd5da8c8a.jpg

TheLancsarrive1_zps7f3be8ef.jpg

What a sound! I'd have taken more snaps but a, I did n't have a long enough lens and b, I wanted to savour the moment.... :P

The aircraft were landing into quite a strong headwind so the BBMF landed with a chirp of rubber, a puff of blue tyre smoke and an uncharacteristic bounce. The Canadian touch down was a lesson in aeronautics, beautifully judged and gentle.

The pair then taxiied back past the tower and waiting dignitaries to park up on the perimeter track.

Taxiingin_zps1d9323fc.jpg

Taxiingin1_zps47c56fd2.jpg

By luck more than judgement I had picked a great spot to stand and "Thumper" stopped right in front of me.

tn_LancastersandVulcan014_zpsfd21f755.jp

Taxiingin2_zps1b5b2964.jpg

tn_LancastersandVulcan075bw_zps7c071dfe.

Waving the Union flag and Canadian Maple leaf, the other Lanc parked and switched off.

CanadianLancparked_zps020ac7b0.jpg

The Canadian skipper spent a few minutes walking the crowd line and chatting with appreciative fans. Class act!

CanadianSkipper_zpsb2114248.jpg

To complete the scene, XH558 was towed from her parking spot to join the cast. Three AVRO bombers together at RAF Waddington. A very fitting venue for a unique opportunity.

XH558_zps64219f0c.jpg

tn_LancastersandVulcan091d_zpsc04f78bd.j

I had to leave at that point to go to work but it's a sight I will remember for a long time. I hope this brief description allows those folk who were unable to attend just the slightest taste of what it was like and for those who were lucky enough to enjoy the spectacle, perhaps this will help you re-live it.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 5