GAL ST25 Monospar, Spanish Civil War Ambulance, Azur, 1/72

Another civilian Brit used during Spanish Civil War - GAL ST 25 Monospar. Kit was from Azur, 1.72 This was a reletively small conversion to an ambulance which was home made work by me :)

Monospars in different variants were used by both sides of the war. The choice was really difficult. Finally I did this model which present airplane with factory serial number 80. Originaly she was registered as G-AEGX, having individual name "Florence Nightingale" and was donated to Republicans by Dennis Corrigan in Feb. 1937 after conversion to ambulance. During service it was captured by Nationalists. The model presents markings while she was belonging to Nationalists airforces in the end of Spanish Civil War -in the begining of 1939. As source I have used the same book, which I quoted in post about DH 89 M - "Aviones en la Guerra Civil Espanola 1938/1939 Ingleses/Checos/Polacos (English, Czech and Polish)" by J.Miranda and P.Mercado.

GAL Dsc01479GAL Dsc01474GAL Dsc01475GAL Dsc01477GAL Dsc01478GALDsc01476GAl Dsc01483

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 11

Thank you :)

"How did it go together?"

Well, certainly this is not a brand new Tamiya-like kit. One have to have body putty and at least two kinds of glue. The technology is rather typical for short runs - lovely small radial engines (90 or 95 HP) are from resin - I drilled them throught to make propellers go rotation. Canopy is vacu formed - so is very transparent but also to much flexible so you need some effort to glue it properly. Wings/fuselage joint is just a contact, without any positioning. So all together this is rather lobur-needed. However it is very small so it helps. My conversion was mainly just adding the side door for patient transport and I add two beds iside and few other small parts...

Regards

Jerzy - Wojtek

This was one of my very early topics, I did not expressed my gratitude for comments. Many thanks :):sorry:

No I am rescueing by switching to Flickr. I apologize, this will be probably the only one returned to Forum for the "G" (other are Japan Grace, Gekko, Ginga-Frances and Gamma (Northrop) 2D which temptating me to return...)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Many thanks Gents!

15 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

I must say I do like aircraft that look a bit like a garden shed. 

A bit indeed. It is made of similar materials, anyway... 

15 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I have a fondness for the Azur kits...plain as they are they build up into nice birds!  

Yes - but sometimes they required some massive corrections if you recall Polikarpov R-Z lower wing and tail issue or Lockheeds Hudson/Ventura/Harpoon fuselages differencies...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

I remember this from back when, a nice model of an interesting aircraft. There was one of these in New Zealand years ago, sadly now defunct, but I recall seeing it at an airshow years back, it looked like a sweet little aircraft with a weird engine note from the twin Pobjoys.

Steve.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I remember this from back when, a nice model of an interesting aircraft. There was one of these in New Zealand years ago, sadly now defunct, but I recall seeing it at an airshow years back, it looked like a sweet little aircraft with a weird engine note from the twin Pobjoys.

I wish to see her once in air...

Thanks Gents for comments

Regards

J-W

Sadly Jerzy, that won't happen, she was destroyed in a hanger fire. Some more info here. I saw her at an Airshow at Nelson in early 1971, I recall a flight along the crowd line, quite low & slow with a degree of "waggling" going on with ailerons & rudders.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

Steve, I have found in net that in Australia there is some restoration work on Monospar VH-UHT (though with Gypsy engines ST 12)

VH-UTH General Aircraft GAL Monospar ST.12

BTW - sometimes I am thinking on buying another Azur kit and convert it into St 12 in some RAAF or RAF scheme.

I found poor quality photo:

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania gal st12

It is in a interesting set of photos:

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/operator/Royal Air Force/60/?f=&sort=date_taken_formatted&order=asc

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1