Avro York C Mk I, 1/72 CMR resin and Airfix parts

Hi,

Another big WWII "Britt" - Avro York C MkI . This is Czech Master Resin conversion set (fuselage, cabin, wheels, wertical stabilizars, propellers) and a bit shaped other parts from previous 8 series Airfix Lancaster (I did it before release of Revell but after Hasegawa). CMR suggets to use Hasegawa, as I remember, but I did other way - I had one Airfix in my storage...I made some small improvments mainly on the shape or rather just details of egines and on the the surface. The wings have to be cut, each about 3 mm, near fuselage, due to wider fuselage.

The model shows MW140 used in Far East just after the war for evacuation of prisons of war from camps in Philipinis or Malaya. I think it came to the service in last weeks of war. The markings are RAF, not RAAF - the light part of the roundels at photos seems to me white, not light blue even if it is a SEAC airplane. If anybody can give me some proove that it must be light blue I will change it...

My second doubt - on one photo (and the only one where it is visible) I found, that York have dinghy on left wing, not right one, as Lancaster have. I am not sure if this is not just mirror mistake of the photo - there are no any charactes visible - this is a direct backward shot... So again - any comments from York expert welcomed!

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

york DSC01466york DSC01467york DSC01468york DSC01470york DSC01469york DSC01471york DSC01472york DSC01473york cMk1 -1york c mk 1 - 5

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 19

Thank you :) - I enjoy Yorks very much! I was egger to have it in collection!

The colours are (or should be :) ) Extra Dark Sea Grey/Dark Slate Grey with Azur undersurfaces. It took me a while to convert from idea, that camuflaged ones were DG/DE/Night - such was only the personal Churchill machine. I have some colour photos from net as well as written testimonies like "...grey Yorks were..." Even camo BOAC Yorks were in such colours likely. The all around white one of Lord Mountbatten was another my option which was under consideration, but finally I was not sure, if she was not painted white already after the war.

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Love it, and as an aside i'm doing some research into my late fathers RAF career and come across this old photo that might be of interest.

I'm trying to identify there history although one looks a bit sad.

Excellent York...

14831438789_1c6ff2b47a_b.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for all comments :) -

Nice and unknown photo, Bri-48!

Some more info from my side. Here, for example, is a color photo of such camouflage colours on York

http://www.aer.ita.br/~bmattos/mundo/airliner/york_dir.htm

It seems that I was perhaps wrong, telling that this is a SEAC machne, not RAAF. Here is photo (now available) in Internet of exactly "my" MW140:

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Avro-York/Avro_York_MW140

likely during evacuation of POW in Sept or October 45. This is still in comouflage but later she bacame the only one York in RAAF, the A74-1 and all paint was removed. So perhaps it alredy belong to RAAF, still bearing RAF serial.

Cheers

J-W

Great job and interesting aircraft!

Well done.

I don't know much about the York but I think I will start looking it up now!

for the roundels I always thought that SEAC aircraft had a really obvious "double blue" appearance (Light blue inside, darker blue outside) but I don't know anything about the York specifically and fading of paint in the Far East also adds to the interpretation.

Great build though...cheers!

• Like 1

Very nicely done - attractive beasts weren't they?

My top ten fantasy list includes a York ( in 1/144 ) in South African Airways post war service, but with what is available commercially, that is still quite a bit beyond my skill level.

Enjoyed seeing this.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

You`ve done a great job on this one and I love the scheme! Wasn`t this the personal aircraft of the Governor General of Australia? I know that he released it for use repatriating POW`s and that it switched from wearing an RAF serial to wearing an RAAF seral during its career but I cannot gain access to my books etc at the moment to confirm the serial. If it is this aircraft then I have also seen a colour photo of it in overall silver too,....still with blue and white roundels.

I would stick with the white centre to the roundels personally.

SEAC didn`t start off with two toned blue roundel,..it was a progressive thing,...they first removed the red from standard RAF roundels leaving blue and white but the large area of white was found to be too conspicuous (unlike the RAAF!) so the roundels were make smaller and at the same time the white was dulled down by adding blue, although there was still lots of leeway and there were still large blue and light blue roundels or small blue and white roundels around.

Well done again on a lovely looking model wearing a great scheme,...what more could we ask for!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Many thanks for support! :)

Tonyot - thank you confirming and explanations - yes, at least on some sources I also found that MW140 was personal aircraft of Governor General of Australia (but I found also somewher, that it was rather MW104). Thank you Work in Progress for confirming dinghy position!

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

The RAAF's Avro York was definitely MW140 and the scheme in the CMR kit of its later "Royal" incarnation is definitely correct.

Pictures here

http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-an23529725

http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-an23529727

https://www.flickr.com/photos/87490663@N08/11164065175/

The CMR kit is very good and contains several alternative schemes.

• Like 1

I removed this post since it was jus a duplicate of the next one - the computer told me that there was an error while posting so I post again and suddenly both apeared. Sorry :)

Cheers
Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM

Dear Ed,

I fully agree with you, that MW140 was in NMF as it is in many links. However, I am also convinced, that it was not silver from the beginning wearing some time camo, like that one which I tried to show on model. In link:

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Avro-York/Avro_York_MW140 there are 9 photos of only one RAAF York - 8 are with a silver one, and photo No 2 shows one in camouflage. There is also cmouflaged York described as Duke of Gloucesters machine:

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/flight/159927-wwii-airpower-morotai-1945-a.html

The interesting question is since when it become silver? I think it was at end of 1945, rather not earlier...

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Great to see a built-up York - good job! That's one I need to add to my Lancaster collection, and I would if the conversion set from CMK weren't so expensive. Nice to see it builds up so well.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1