Another 1/144 Revell A319 - British Airways

My first ever civil airliner build. I have read a lot and done a fair bit of research. I am surprised at how different they are to military jets. To be honest to see only two sprues and limited parts kind of felt like a nice change.

Kit...

p1_zpsbeca16bd.png

After sanding some of the flash (there was a lot on this kit) I started with putting some Milliput through the windows to fill them. I used the method of rolling a thin sausage and sticking it through the windows from the inside. I will sand the outside smooth once dry. I want to keep some sort of outline of the windows visble to help with the decal placement.

p2_zps71a4d2e7.png

p3_zps590487e6.png

I then glued the wings together. Again after having to sand off and remove a ton of flash on the sides.

p4_zps3de6f9b5.png

• Like 1

Hi Richie.

Don't forget to remove some of the flap track fairings from the wing lower surfaces.

If you need a drawing let me know and I'll send it over via e-mail.

Chris.

And fill the corresponding lines on the flaps, top and bottom.

All of which are identified on the drawing mentioned above.

Didn't know that as I'm not psychic.

Just trying to help the OP and anyone else using this kit.

Edited by buzz

I cut the flap track fairings off, thanks for the heads up. Also I did not mix the Milliput well enough so it did not harden. So I had to strip and re-apply. Also added my usual 1/2 oz fishing weight to the nose. Once I glue the fuselage together and sand I will be on hold until my paints arrive from Europe.

p5_zpsfeb0f350.png

What do you mean by "And fill the corresponding lines on the flaps, top and bottom."?

Also I am thinking of using the clear windscreen, painting it Tamiya "smoke" and then applying the frame decals over the top. Rather than covering it with putty and using a windscreen decal only.

Edited by richie894

I don't have my own photos to hand but the A319 kit has the design of the A321 (although a different wingbox moulding). The A319 has single slotted flaps whereas the A321 flaps are double slotted.

Have a look at "aircraft window view" photos on airliners.net and you'll see the differences. In your photo of the kit wings, the lines are the ones within the main flap areas. Hope that makes sense!

Edited by buzz

What do you mean by "And fill the corresponding lines on the flaps, top and bottom."?

Also I am thinking of using the clear windscreen, painting it Tamiya "smoke" and then applying the frame decals over the top. Rather than covering it with putty and using a windscreen decal only.

Buzz means this :):

SAwingcorrection1.jpg

That's an unusual idea for the flight deck windows, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Be aware that Revell moulded the frames on to the clear part so making the clear areas too small. If you sand off the frames and repolish it'll end up the right size. The frame decal should then go around the cut-out.

HTH

Jonathan

Thanks, Jonathan. :thumbsup2:

I just found my own photo that I posted on Airlinercafe some years ago (when Revell got it wrong on their A320 kit as well). Yours is clearer than mine anyway as it shows those pesky flaptrack fairings as well.

Roy

Be aware that Revell moulded the frames on to the clear part so making the clear areas too small. If you sand off the frames and repolish it'll end up the right size. The frame decal should then go around the cut-out.

HTH

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan.

I'm sure that was a problem that applied to the A320 only.

The A319 seems to have got this area sorted correctly and has a much better shape to the nose area as well.

Chris.

Update...

The Tamiya x15 (smoke) worked great for a tint on the windscreen, so that you could not quite see in. However when installing it snapped so I just filled over it.

p6_zpsd52733ef.png

It took forever to putty, sand and prime the top to eradicate the seam. I am now primed and awaiting paint. I was contemplating painting the wings before attaching to fuselage. But figured after seeing other threads it was best to just attach, fill, sand, and prime the whole thing.

p7_zps0f5df4e2.png

* the camera flash took away all of the panel lines and detail, they are still there!

Do I need to mask over the bottom where the blue will go - or am I good to just spray the white coat and paint over it? Using Tamiya laquer spray for the white and Xtracolor enamel BA blue.

Hi there - great to see another civil kit on the forum - I have a soft spot for the type. I made this kit a few years back and have continued to roll out a number of BA liveries since. To answer your question above, I start with a white primed fuselage and then mask off like so below

DSCF5008_zpsd2da24ac.jpg

I then mask off the blue belly and go over the top half of the fuselage with a final coat of white - but this is only my method

DSCF5046_zps33477ded.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your A319 wearing her British colours soon - John

• Like 1

John, if all goes well with this, I am planning a BA fleet also. With a Virgin airbus thrown in.

SNAP - I have an A340-600 conv kit ready for a Virgin long bird and loads of un-built 737s, 757s, 747s, 767s and 787s in the stash with their BA decals and Botox Braz bits already purchased - I must have spent about £500 with 26, Nazca and F-DCAL and Hannants over the last months and Mrs Management when mental at me when she found my paypal account - it cost me a new Kitchen Aid mixer for her :yikes: to recover from it...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Painted the blue belly, then the wings. Used xtracolor airbus grey, revell aluminium for the leading edges and model master dark anodonic grey metalizer for the corogard. Some touch ups needed and then onto the first decals.

Unfortunately some of the blue (small part) seaped under the masking tape. I dont think the white will cover it, So I may have to sand that part and re-paint.

p2_zpsdad3eaf7.png

If you still have the chance, you should raise the demarcation line of the blue/white behind the wing (I can't see the line in front of the wing). The box art shows the proper location well.

The demarcation on BA aircraft is level, unlike for example the LH scheme where the demarcation is at the wing leading/trailing edge level (I.e. higher at the front than the back).

The landing gear is attached and started adding some decals. There have been several occasions along the way where I was about to throw it in the bin. But stuck with it and generally happy for a first attempt at a civil airliner. I am painting and finishing engines, clear coat and then calling it done and moving on.

plane1_zps5d6a0dce.png

• 2 weeks later...

Painted the blue belly, then the wings. Used xtracolor airbus grey, revell aluminium for the leading edges and model master dark anodonic grey metalizer for the corogard.

p2_zpsdad3eaf7.png

Hi,

just catching up with this great build, it's looking brilliant! I'm about to start my first civil jet (Airfix 737) and will also be using xtracolor for the first time. Just a quick query, did you have any problems using acrylic and Model Master Metalizer over xtracolor enamels? Did you do anything special, or just make sure the xtracolor was totally dry?

Thanks for your help,

Val