Monogram 1/48 Grumman F9F-5 Panther

Hi All

My latest addition to the US Navy Cold War jet collection. Bought from an exhibitor at the brill IPMS Gloucester show earlier this year.

11729f333f9341be1748ddd9679bbcfd.jpg

This 1990 kit went together well and I had fun building it, it's simplicity added to my enjoyment.....tho once again I made a rookie mistake. Having spent a long time getting the fuse internals right and thinking several times about putting the nose weight in I glued the fuse halves together and.....Oh Yes, forgot the nose weights! However the models design rescued me. Folowing advice from the net I'd left the nosegear off and it comes complete with the nosegear bay front bullhead. So I drilled a large hole and sloshed Contacta Clear (all it's good for) in there and dropped my Copperhead 1500 weights in the hole and sloshed in more glue....eventually just glued in the nose gear to cover it all up and hey presto!

2ce9a93c24cc222af9986b1b1b3f2ff8.jpg

A first here, after rejecting Tamiya Sea Blue as what appeared to me to be dirty grey I tried my first pot of Revell Aqua Color, 350 Lufthansa Blue. What lovely paint, hand brushed easily and covered well, sprayed beautifully tho it's very gloopy so I thinned it with 60% Tamiya thinners and it went on superbly., I'll certainly be buying more of that.

19728af69d256d041c3fc70922742f65.jpg

Also tried another new product, "Microscale Micro Crystal Clear" used as a canopy adhesive. At Last! A canopy glue that sticks and as a bonus does dry crystal clear......result!

562def241ab900f9e221ee9b43c85371.jpg

Also tried a new technique for me, dry brushing.....I like it! Did the cockpit and instrument panel details and it worked well, another tool in the armoury thank you everyone.

c982da2e23f9fbb7ca1a1c87880b5f5a.jpg

I knew the twenty five year old decals would be rubbish and they were. I bought some Eagle Strike decals for US Marines VMA-223. These decals were great but very thin and VERY fragile as I quickly found. Also, they were VERY tightly packed onto the A5 sheet. Once I learnt how to treat them they went on beautifully and have produced a most colourful aircraft, tho I painted the leading edges as I could not get the decals to form around them, TBH I think it was expecting a lot.

03d334a70c361cd8ca40874fd02af4a5.jpg

Apologies again to all you weathering fans.....I'm afraid this ones straight out of the paintshop too......

f4fb5b67200058a518704e832ea99b91.jpg

So, a most pleasurable build and I'm well pleased with the end result. I think I'm getting a bit of a thing for these simpler historic kits :-)

Next up, right up to date, much more detail and something to test newly developing skills, the HobbyBoss A-7E Corsair II, VA-85 "Sidewinders", definitely one of my all time fave aircraft BAR NONE.

Happy Modelling and comments and more advice are most welcome.

TonyS

Edited by dhdove
  • Like 6

Very nice Job. Building one too at the moment and it's fun :)

Hi Phil

Just joined? Welcome to you!

Good luck with your Panther, I really hope you enjoy making it as much as I did.

Whilst these old kits aren't as sophisticated as the newer ones and are lacking in some detail I love their simplicity and ease of construction (assuming that they actually fit together that is!). I had little trouble with this one, it went together pretty well.

I'm not a Panther expert but it looks good to me. I would advise that you get some aftermarket decals tho. The originals in my kit had decayed and the adhesive turned to milky mush when put in water......

I'm happy to give you the other decal option from my aftermarket set tho it would mean a different colour scheme for your aeroplane.

Good Luck

TonyS

Hi Tony,

just joined this nice community :) Yes the Panther looks quite good and I liked the cockpit details. After all it's a very

old kit.

I got myself one from Revell, the photo recce version. But it's the old Monogram one, it's written on the molds :)

used some wire for the ejection seat handles, but no aftermarket parts. I wanted to build it oob, just relaxing...

But the Revell decals are from Cartograf and seem to be excellent. Let's wait and see :)

What aftermarket version are you decal leftovers?

I will post some pictures soon

Great build of a classic kit

Is it a classic kit? I'm sorry..........I didn't realise!

I very much enjoyed building it in any event!

TonyS

Edited by dhdove

Hi Tony,

just joined this nice community :) Yes the Panther looks quite good and I liked the cockpit details. After all it's a very

old kit.

I got myself one from Revell, the photo recce version. But it's the old Monogram one, it's written on the molds :)

used some wire for the ejection seat handles, but no aftermarket parts. I wanted to build it oob, just relaxing...

But the Revell decals are from Cartograf and seem to be excellent. Let's wait and see :)

What aftermarket version are you decal leftovers?

I will post some pictures soon

PM sent re decals.

TS