Italeri 1:72 eh-101 Merlin has.1

DSC_0381_zpsb4d901e8.jpg

Hi,

Fist time trying to do a work in progress post. Finally managed to work out how to post photos ... don't use IE, for some reason it didn't work and after reading the help forums I tried Chrome ... worked straight away.

Anyway .. this build may take some time as I want to spend time working on my weathering and detailing skills. I am happy with dry brushing using enamel and acrylic paints and currently use a weathering wash using some soft pastels dissolved in water.

I would like to try clay based weathering washes and am thinking about buying some "Flory" weathering wash ... however anybody got any other suggestions.

Also looking for some advice or indeed links to photos for the Merlin interior/exterior as I have never been up close to these aircraft. If anyone has built this model, any hints tips and advice would be appreciated.

The rest of the kit is in the box ... it's just that I couldn't fit it all in the photo :)

Thanks again

• Like 3

Interesting subject! I am reliably advised that the fuselage inserts can sit a little too low on this kit, you may need to add a little packing to bring them level with the rest of the fuselage.

Martin

• Like 1

:ditto:

I can attest to that, mine needed it. Take your time with test, fit, test, fit etc and you'll end up with a good 'un

IIRC, the exhaust seams can be a bit tricky to clean up

As for references/info, look no further than BM:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/71805-agustawestland-merlin-mh1-navy-version/

Edited by neilscrim
  • Like 1

:ditto:

I can attest to that, mine needed it. Take your time with test, fit, test, fit etc and you'll end up with a good 'un

IIRC, the exhaust seams can be a bit tricky to clean up

As for references/info, look no further than BM:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/71805-agustawestland-merlin-mh1-navy-version/

Thank you so much for this link .. stunning pictures with so much detail .. will definitely take my time and test fit and also cheers for the tip Martin Hale. Will make a start on the interior this week. Thanks folks

Not sure. Check this to see the winch I had in the kit:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234922456-italeri-172-rn-merlin

I did have a winch but whether it's the rescue winch I don't know.

And there's more than one version of the kit, later releases had different decals than mine.

Edited by neilscrim
  • Like 1

Just picked up a similar kit on Saturday at Bruntingthorpe. Mine is kit No.1248 and it has a winch (wood coloured pencil) it's essentially the same sprue as yours. I think you may also be missing the rear undercarriage legs (blue pencil).

DSCN0509.jpg

Mine has an extra sprue providing the torpedo stores and wing mirrors (blue pencil). Check you have the radome (wood coloured pencil).

DSCN0510.jpg

DSCN0507.jpg

DSCN0511.jpg

DSCN0508.jpg

Reading the reference material and the other build thread, I also think the decals are way off in terms of accuracy. Are there any aftermarket decals to be recommended?

• Like 1

Neil/HP,

Thanks for your posts .. I definitely have the rear undercarriage struts ( phew) but no winch and I have the radome as well, they were all loose in the box. It would appear that my kit is an early one and there are no weapons or weapons stanchions on the sprue's. Never mind .. I will just pretend that the winch has been taken off for servicing :)

DSC_0127_zps4aee4535.jpg

Well, made a start and dry fitted most of the cockpit and rear cabin fixtures, much as they are. I tend to look at it as a blank canvas and so happy, as I enjoy the painting phase which adds a touch of detail. I will add as much detail as my skill level and somewhat basic paint pallet will allow. I do tend to think that the cyclic controls are a bit chunky however at 1:72 scale, I suppose you do need to see them.

Tomorrow the plan is to apply a base coat and some different colours using the reference pics. I will try to pick out some detail and then apply the decals to the cockpit areas. I also ordered some "flory" dark dirt wash today so will have to await that arriving. Hopefully I will finish of the area with some dry brushing as well.

This may take a few days but hopefully the next pictures will show the finished cabin/cockpit. I have heeded the test fit advice from others, as the instructions tell you to drill out the holes for the rear cabin seats, I found this was not required as the seats do not have the protruding plastic to "click" into any holes you may drill. They just fit flush. Thanks for advice... appreciated as always

• Like 1

Not sure. Check this to see the winch I had in the kit:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234922456-italeri-172-rn-merlin

I did have a winch but whether it's the rescue winch I don't know.

And there's more than one version of the kit, later releases had different decals than mine.

Just thinking ahead Neil .. what did you use to paint the tinting on the cockpit rood panels ???.. My Seaking's were easy(ish) as I sprayed clear green on the inside but I read on another link that they should be a smoked grey on the Merlin. I have some clear satin acrylic and was going to experiment with adding just a minute touch of dark grey or black. I will obviously try it on a spare piece of clear plastic to see if it gives a reasonable effect.

Are you planning to model it spread or folded? I ask because I took some pics of the tail fold at CU Air Day which I can let you have.

The really are monsters, these aircraft; the tail rotor is just HUGE!

The Flory washes are very good, BTW.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

Are you planning to model it spread or folded? I ask because I took some pics of the tail fold at CU Air Day which I can let you have.

The really are monsters, these aircraft; the tail rotor is just HUGE!

The Flory washes are very good, BTW.

Definitely keeping the cab spread as I think that it will sit better with the "Kings" on my display. I prefer seeing a cab sitting spread and ready to go anyway, however I think I will have the front door open and may even fashion some blade tie downs. Looking at some reference pictures, the Merlin does not appear to use tip socks. Hopefully one day, I will get to see one up close :)

The kit I have would appear to be basic, but more than happy with it. Going to try some pre shading...which is the main reason for building it.

If you are happy to email or post some phots, that would be much appreciated

Edited by MarkdipXV711

There are plenty of good pics in the walkround section if you haven't seen them alreay. Re the blade tiedowns, there is a socket under the tip to take the cord/rope for this purpose. If you use thread make sure you run it through/across a piece of beeswax to get all the threads laying down, nothing worse than hairy tie down ropes. My Merlin sits amongst some other choppers of the same size with it's rotors off. The all get stored in pizza box. I then have more numbers in the display, yes it looks a bit odd but that's my sollution.

Colin

• Like 1

Just thinking ahead Neil .. what did you use to paint the tinting on the cockpit rood panels ???..

I think it was Tamiya smoke, which I painted on the inside with a hairy stick, that way brush strokes don't really show up. If you haven't got tamiya smoke (or similar), it's worth opening a tin of unstirred enamel paint, the transparent gunk that usually sits on the surface can be used as a tint. I do that when I need greens and blues.

Ex-FAAWAFU is right though, this helicopter is huge, it sits beside my chinook in the cabinet and it makes a chinook look small.

Neil

• Like 1

Hi Neil, I painted my eyebrow/overhead windows Tamiya Clear Blue and they do look too light,. I think the correct colour should be a mix of blue and smoke. Tony Lynx7 has then on his Lynx builds has hit right colour. He has used a marker pen to good effect.

Colin

• Like 1

Regarding the tint .. thanks folks , appreciated. Popping out to get some plasticard for filling out the cabin sides. Cheers

Which kit are you building the first box you showed was the old kit lacking many parts ( including the rescue winch ) the other box you show has the Revel update kit in it but poor out sized decals. Revel have listed it for reissue this year. Model Art Decals are to release a second sheet for the FAA HM1. Will watch your build with interrest. Regards Len

• Like 1

Which kit are you building the first box you showed was the old kit lacking many parts ( including the rescue winch ) the other box you show has the Revel update kit in it but poor out sized decals. Revel have listed it for reissue this year. Model Art Decals are to release a second sheet for the FAA HM1. Will watch your build with interrest. Regards Len

Cheers Len,

Also realised that there is a window missing from the port side, just aft of the crew door. Might have to look through my list of spare windows to see if one is suitable and hopefully will be able to cut one into the side. I will see how easy it will be and if I have a suitable window. Cheers

0b68bcca-0622-45d7-a808-0fd4a7d09585_zps

Managed to find time to apply a base primer and some base colours along with a little bit of dry brushing, just to try and make the seats and various consoles look a bit more metallic. Just waiting on the "Flory" weathering wash to arrive so this should give the enamel paint use on some parts or the interior, plenty of time to dry. Applied the instrument decals which went on just fine using sol/set. As stated by others, the decals are not brilliant, however good enough for me :)

Still not finished with this but don't want to go overboard as most, if not all, will not be seen.

DSC_0132_zps7823affa.jpg

Happy so far, feels like I've properly started now that some paint is on. Cheers

• Like 2

Those extra seats in the back look a bit spurious; isn't that area full of sonobuoy dispensers and that kind of malarkey?

This version looks like an ASW cab as far as the Observer / Crewman's console, and then some sort of hell-liner abaft that.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

Those extra seats in the back look a bit spurious; isn't that area full of sonobuoy dispensers and that kind of malarkey?

This version looks like an ASW cab as far as the Observer / Crewman's console, and then some sort of hell-liner abaft that.

Not really, I have pics of one fitted with the seats and the two sonobouy launchers plus the dinghy pack, dual role you might say.

Colin

• Like 1

No, those seats in the back are fine. Equipment can be removed and installed as required. The belts are black though and the aircrew seats are black too with black cushions for the backrest. Belts are black too. And the rear cockpit bulkhead is black...and the cockpit floor is...wait for it...black. A bit like the Ford Model T.

Jeff

• Like 2

Looks like this is a very versatile aircraft ... but looking at the pictures, there doesn't seem to be that much room left over for cargo etc. when the racks and seats are fitted. Rear seats look much more capable than the troop seats that I knew :)... I have read various threads which state that they offer very good crash protection.

Anyway, going to have a rummage for some spares from other kits and see if I can scratch build some racks, life raft and possibly what looks like in the pictures as a dunking sonar winch ? This make take some time and slow down the build.

Excuse my ignorance .. but does the dunking sonar enter/exit through a closable hatch or something ??, unlike the Seaking ( Sea King )