New Tamiya 1/48 Grumman F-14 (A, Late A, D) Tomcat

Robert

Sorry, been offline for some time, hence the rather late reply.

On 6/4/2018 at 5:13 PM, Giorgio N said:

Sorry, but no, the people who generally start a hype whenever Tamiya announces anything are not the ones that want everything down to the final rivet. .... Regarding some modellers being not what manufactuters aim fot this is wrong again.  ...

Well, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree as our opinions on this clearly are very, very different. I won't go into the "rivet counters" remarks, as I did not say anything about rivet counters. In fact, I consider myself to be a bit of a rivet counter.

Back to the Tamiya Tomcat itself, my F-14A has now arrived and I am slowly but surely building it. Approaching the stage where (light) weathering comes into play, I am wondering which tone to use for washing the panel lines on the white undersides: a light grey, or perhaps a more red/brownish tint? Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Robert 

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

for those that think detail can still be improved, here you go!

A.M.U.R. Reaver come to the rescue! :wall:

not sure, but I do not think they are working  ;)

http://amurreaver.ru/?p=1384

PE4830-1.jpg

just wow!

Here to be found... you beed 2 sets fir one jet! 

https://the48ers.com/f-14d-f-16c-f110-engine-nozzle-enhancement-set.html

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

Quinta Studio cockpit detailing set - ref. QD48048 - Grumman F-14A Tomcat

Source: https://www.facebook.com/AlexLavka/posts/2847156272237474

Order here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quinta-QD48048-1-48-F-14A-3D-Printed-coloured-interior-for-Tamiya-kit/164361899958

118667084-2847156242237477-7823503859820

118716046-2848310105455424-1148765120187

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

'Features fixed depiction of variable sweep wing supported by a single-piece part'

Now that sounds interesting, a one piece moulding for the wing ? If anyone can design a part like that Tamiya can.

Regards

Robert

7 minutes ago, Robert said:

'Features fixed depiction of variable sweep wing supported by a single-piece part'

Now that sounds interesting, a one piece moulding for the wing ? If anyone can design a part like that Tamiya can.

Regards

Robert

I'd read it a bit differently - to me, the phrase 'variable sweep wing supported by a single-piece part' would imply that there's some sort of one-piece spar that supports both wings, not that the two wings are moulded as a single part?

Edited by hopkp
Sense

On 7/9/2021 at 7:12 PM, hopkp said:

I'd read it a bit differently - to me, the phrase 'variable sweep wing supported by a single-piece part' would imply that there's some sort of one-piece spar that supports both wings, not that the two wings are moulded as a single part?

I'd agree with this. Sounds as if Tamiya have replaced the spars that the wings slide onto that allow them to swing with a single spar that locks the wings in the forward position.

On 7/14/2021 at 6:17 PM, Web99 said:

This looks really interesting, It’ll make the AMK version completely obsolete in 1 swoop if they do a D version with the extended flaps. 

Assuming I'm reading this correct, the one thing the AMK would still have is open speedbrakes and spoilers.  It sounds like this is only flaps/slats.  I suspect it's getting to a relatively small number of people that really need the speedbrakes/spoilers of the AMK, but there will be some.

EDIT: I'm also hoping for a kneeling nose gear.  I think there's been a bit of an assumption it's in there, but I don't see it clearly stated.  To me flaps/slats is primarily useful for a catapult diorama.  It could be coming off the arresting wires too, but a true landing "in action" would need the speedbrakes and DLC inboard spoilers. 

Edited by ESzczesniak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ESzczesniak said:

EDIT: I'm also hoping for a kneeling nose gear.  I think there's been a bit of an assumption it's in there, but I don't see it clearly stated.  To me flaps/slats is primarily useful for a catapult diorama.  It could be coming off the arresting wires too, but a true landing "in action" would need the speedbrakes and DLC inboard spoilers. 

It says about the landing gear in the 4th point with the arrestor hooks, I can’t wait 😎

17 minutes ago, Web99 said:

It says about the landing gear in the 4th point with the arrestor hooks, I can’t wait 😎

I see that now from the product web page. I’ll admit I didn’t read that real closely having already read the “confidential” new product flyer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well deff' have to get one to go with their first release kit I have, but still haven't built, I just can't help it, but you know when you come to build them there are no hidden horrors to worry about.

I know people say but that's modelling to overcome some kits problems, but now it's all about enjoying the hobby and less stress for me, lifes to short to be spending way to much time correcting faults that shouldn't be there in the first place imho

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr.T said:

...and then replace the outdated 1/32 kit?

That's something I'd truly like to see. Their 1/32 Tomcat needs a new tool and I'm confident it would be very well received.

• Like 2