Modelling mistakes on real aircraft

Robin-42

Somewhere I have a cutting from an old copy of the late-lamented Aircraft Illustrated showing a US Hawaii ANG F-4D in the light grey scheme that had recently come out of the paintshop. It had two sets of stars and bars applied on the rear fuselage and the air intakes.

• Like 1

I've got your big stick right here! Ah, did I write "out loud"?

Perhaps they put the S&B on that way because the last "flight" was backwards (onto the 'stick'.)

Regards, Robert

• 3 months later...

Always proof read the stencil decals, especially from those from kit manufacturers whose first language is not English:

panel_zpsm67ntkee.jpg

At Bruntingthorpe on Sunday, I was having a close look at their Tristar engine and spotted it.

Cheers,

Dean

• Like 5

So I got this DVD for Christmas.

I finally got some time to watch it yesterday.

Spitfire and Hurricane. Spitfire first I thought.

Well, we start with a nice shot of Typhoons in formation.

Then go on to explain how the Spitfire evolved from old

floatplanes by showing pictures of Sopwith floatplanes.

Eventually getting to the Schneider trophy aircraft.

Later we hear about the eight guns & see a shot from a

gun camera of, a Spitfire being shot down.

Then we move onto the battle of Britain, and the Luftwaffe.

A caption comes up, Helmut Goering. the narrator also says Helmut.

Move to the Hurricane. Nice shot of Typhoons.... I gave up.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Pete, I have a few of "those" DVD's lurking about; funnily came in the XMas stocking. Probably from the 'cheap disks' bin at Wally-world, perhaps originally from History Channel's 'fluffy stuff' hour! Continuity is some of those things is attrocious... like certain 'Pearl Harbor' movies...

Bentwaters, that is classic! "Who would know?" Perhaps the target audience, eh?

'^P

Sometimes, I just want to weep for the future of mankind...

R/ Robert

Edited by rbeach84
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...

How about Chipmunk WK520 (civil reg G-BARS), long Google images link below... 

https://www.google.com/search?q=chipmunk+g+bars&client=ms-android-huawei-rev1&prmd=isvxn&sxsrf=AOaemvLglxyiFeXjekx8AKzU7PZQUIMHYQ:1638052993793&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjBr8X2zrn0AhUIQkEAHSi0D5cQ_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=360&bih=657&dpr=3

I've never seen any genuine Portuguese Chipmunk in those colours (happy to be proved wrong of course), however it makes a very interesting airframe to model :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a picture but the NELSAM's Vulcan XL319 has mismatched fuselage and wing roundels. Late ones on the wings, early ones on the fuselage. I think someone just painted over what was there before

Hmm - impressive Paul. What happened to that one I wonder.

(Especially apposite for us because after weeks of unsuitable weather we finally got a chance to test fly (Permit renewal) our Champ today. From a slightly soggy but acceptable grass strip. Oh boy, the mud splashes on landing, all over the tail and under the wings! Needed several buckets of water.) 

Here's a few from my collection.

Not enough nose weight added.....

vulcan17.jpg

This shot doesn't show it, but it was from the "Memphis Belle" filming in 1989. Which ever studio artist did the weathering on four of the five B-17's ( one was meant to be a new replacement ), had been looking at too many Airfix models as reference and painted four dirty great streaks behind each of the four sets of wing vents behind each engine. Watch the film and you'll see.

b17a5.jpg

Sometimes the fullsize builders loose interest part way through a project and it goes to the hangar of doom, never to be completed.

beaufighter3.jpg

Even at 1/1 scale, they often try to put too much into a diorama.

lancaster66.jpg

There's always some overdone weathering!

martlet2.jpg

Accidentally forgetting to mask the canopy before painting.

amarc2.jpg

Some builders get stuck in a rut and want to build only one type in every marking used.

amarc1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/20/2021 at 9:07 PM, Robin-42 said:

I know I started this thread 7! years ago, but I couldn’t resist. Photo-RCAF.

0D936AE5-9F1D-4FF5-9BBD-2A1B39C0A760

This is quite common in young ladies, fortunately the left one will eventually catch up.

13 hours ago, wellsprop said:

How about this Chipmunk?

158459_800.jpg

The insignia are non-standard sizes, the serials are of varying types and I can't find any Chipmunk in Portuguese service that was painted light blue. Makes for a good model though :)

Ah yes the modelling of a real aircraft in a fictional livery that it really carried... A great way to confuse the rivet counters at shows 😁

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...