Modelling mistakes on real aircraft

Robin-42

When I was on the Toom OCU in the early 70's we had a staff pilot who was a very dark gentleman. It was at the time of the big hit 'Oh, We're Going To Barbados' which refers to Coconut Airways, so of course the jet with his name on the side was appended with Coconut Airways. For a short while...

The original 'brown bomber' Nimrod in dark earth (rather than hemp) briefly carried 'Coconut Airways' titling as well

Fat NAV-Bombardier?

From experience, I can say the public generally doesn't notice such things. Another thing, the Hookie-tooke has many asymmetric features: the search radar is offset (see my avatar), the rotor mast has a slight tilt, the tail rotor shaft fairing is at an angle to centerline, side windows and doors are different, MAD gear is mounted on the starboard side, etc. I suspect all aircraft suffer at least some items of asymmetry... just perhaps not so obvious ones.

R/ Robert

Most single engine prop driven aircrafts are asymmetric in a way or the other to counter engine torque. Most resort to hardly visible changes in the wing profile but some had angled tails (Skyraider, Fulmar) and Macchi WW2 types even had one wing shorter than the other. Kits don't always reproduce these features and I wonder how many modellers would find these as errors in a properly executed kit :lol:

Edited by Giorgio N

Most single engine prop driven aircrafts are asymmetric in a way or the other to counter engine torque. Most resort to hardly visible changes in the wing profile but some had angled tails (Skyraider, Fulmar) and Macchi WW2 types even had one wing shorter than the other. Kits don't always reproduce these features and I wonder how many modellers would find these as errors in a properly executed kit :lol:

I did read a review of a new tool Hurricane where the authors said there was a error in the model because the fin was off centre.

Most airliners aerial are not on the centreline possibly to aid linking up inside by sitting to the side of the keelbeam

Edited by garryrussell

We use some of Halfords finest for touch ups. Sometimes the decals get chipped and the get left until scheduled maintenance is called for. We had one engineer apply the "ARMY" decal on os side parallel with the top of the boom, the other side he fitted it parallel with the bottom of the boom so sloping downwards!.

Edited by speedy

Two Superfreighters G-ANWM, G-ANWN Leased to CAT as F-BPIM,F-BPIN. Both in over painted BAF livery and fllpped French flags on the starboard side

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shanair/5364632733/sizes/l/

Actually that's not necessarily wrong. Aer Lingus have displayed their flags the same way for years. The modern tendency is to paint the flags flying as it were, front to rear but the protocol for displaying flags on a surface is left to right as seen on those Freighters.

Actually that's not necessarily wrong. Aer Lingus have displayed their flags the same way for years. The modern tendency is to paint the flags flying as it were, front to rear but the protocol for displaying flags on a surface is left to right as seen on those Freighters.

Seen on HMX-1 helos amongst others

HMX1%20Helicopter.jpg

Nope..the Freighters are wrong. The protocol is for handed flags and the CIE fleet were not like that shown above. These were the only two and the flags are back to front and show retreat.

Aer Lingus may well are kept the flags the same both ways...but that doesn't make it right. it was often done by people who don't realise the way it should be and k#just put as it appears on paper/ Most Americans don't seem to notice the Stars should always be at the front and realise when it's pointed out.

It is suipposed to be important which way a flag orientsates and it's not left and right but front and back. Wrong direction is a common mistake especially in the case of the UK flag which is not easy to spot for many.

Anyway..the mentioned freighters were painted wrong, that is, different to the rest of the fleet.

Edited by garryrussell

I wish I had a picture, but I think you can visualize. Fokker F28 needs a new radome. Corporate colours are Canadian Airlines, lt grey top, dark blue bottom, red cheat line. Our dutiful engineer obtains a new unprinted radome and proceeds to paint it with a light grey. Masks it and paints the dark blue. Next the cheat line, but no time the aircraft needs to go back on line. They go to mount it on the airplane and the paint is upside down. He masked it, then sprayed on the wrong side! Flew like that for months! Again wish I had a photo.

• Like 1

'"To err is (oh so) human"'!!

One of the most common modeling errors is attaching the Bloch MB. 15X fighters' engines on 'square'... prop modelers should appreciate the power of the slipstream (and airflow in general)...

R/ Robert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Come on, we have all done it!

IMGP1121.jpg

I've never put US star and bars backwards. It just slaps you in the face immediately to see its wrong! No I'm not bragging, just pointing out something that is so obviously not right! Sorry, but IMHO.

• Like 1