Modelling mistakes on real aircraft

Robin-42

Watching an old Top Gear episode where Richard Hammond was in Cyprus racing a Red Devil parachutist. They used the Cypriot Police Bell 412 CP-4. It was only marked 'CP' on the starboard side.

Trevor

The forward gear strut should be Dark Earth, the rest Trainer Yellow. The cockpit padding is all wrong, the handholds are the wrong colour and don't get me started on what your idea of Dark Green is! Finally, the fairings at the bottom of the V strut are missing.

TexasTigerMoth_zps2b699e1c.jpg

• 1 month later...

OC 29sqn to Airman - "Airman ! I want 2 X's in front of the roundel and IX behind it"

150px-RAF_29_Sqn.svg.png

That's the story an I'm sticking to it !

Not quite... AFAIA...

"Airmen, paint 29 in Roman numerals on the tail of each aircraft."

"Err... How do I do it in Roman numerals Flight Sergeant?"

Rolls eyes...

"Two XXs, one, X"

And the rest, as they say, is history.....

Nice cartoon in Scale Models a good few years back, was a Wren cartoon. Two modelling anoraks at an air display and the Red Arrows were performing. One says to the other, "I think that's the wrong shade of red"...

Colin

A few years ago I was at Elvington airshow with Swordfish LS326 and there was this guy who came over to talk after our display, this is how it went..........

Him....Is that a real Swordfish?........Me......... Yes it's a MkII...........

Him......It's a replica isn't it?.............Me...........No it's a real Swordfish MkII with a proven combat history.

Him.......Are you sure?....................Me ...........Of course I am, it is over 60 years old, why do you ask?

Him......It doesn't look the same as my Airfix model.(and that was the old kit too).....

Me....... :shutup::shutup::shutup:

Smudge

• Like 5

(not sure if this link will work, as it's from facebook, but in case it does)

https://www.facebook.com/184975664988910/photos/a.373487706137704.1073741886.184975664988910/377584402394701/?type=1&theater

1. That pre-shading is way over the top. Subtlety is the key!

2. Aircraft just don't get that dirty!

3. I've never seen rust and chipping like that on real aircraft!!

4. Why are the pilot figures inside? No one is going to fly that aircraft!!

Still a beautiful aircraft though :):wub:

Val

• Like 1

Val

That's not rust on the nose cone, that's the natural colour of the dialectric material.

Val

That's not rust on the nose cone, that's the natural colour of the dialectric material.

Well, you learn something new every day :) Thanks

I guess I should have used more decal softener on the V. It's just as well you can't see the underside registration. Not only is it the wrong way round, it's not straight and the decal film is obvious. In my defence it was getting dark and it was the first time we decalled a full size aircraft!

8805906157_539134c986.jpg

Edit: found a photo of the underside. Can't see the decal film but that's the least of it. Not only are they facing the wrong way but they're on the wrong wing! DOH!

5.jpg

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

Memory is a little hazy now but there was the pink Harrier in the 70's, I seem to remember it was on det to a French squadron and the Harrier guys zapped some French stuff so the French painted one of their Harriers pink...

When I was on the Toom OCU in the early 70's we had a staff pilot who was a very dark gentleman. It was at the time of the big hit 'Oh, We're Going To Barbados' which refers to Coconut Airways, so of course the jet with his name on the side was appended with Coconut Airways. For a short while...

• Like 1

And sometimes it's best not to put too much weight in the nose.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/URG/images/b25-WRG-0000740.jpg

It sort of has a logic to it as the angle of the fairing is closer to horizontal than vertical.

You do wonder, however, how many times the obvious question has been asked by members of the public at airshows over the years to long suffering Seasprite crews.

• Like 1

And sometimes it's best not to put too much weight in the nose.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/URG/images/b25-WRG-0000740.jpg

You do wonder, however, how many times the obvious question has been asked by members of the public at airshows over the years to long suffering Seasprite crews.

Fat NAV-Bombardier?

From experience, I can say the public generally doesn't notice such things. Another thing, the Hookie-tooke has many asymmetric features: the search radar is offset (see my avatar), the rotor mast has a slight tilt, the tail rotor shaft fairing is at an angle to centerline, side windows and doors are different, MAD gear is mounted on the starboard side, etc. I suspect all aircraft suffer at least some items of asymmetry... just perhaps not so obvious ones.

R/ Robert