Rather a belated start to this GB but here goes. I shall be making the Wingnut Wings Se5a, it may not be the most colourful or famous but for some reason it's my favourite fighter from the Great War.

I have made a start on the wooden internal areas using a base coat of Tamiya dark yellow XF-60 followed by a coat of Johnsons Klear and Burnt Sienna and Yellow Ochre oil paint. I shall put these to one side now to dry for a week or so while I try and finish off my D-Day GB entry.

Andrew

Se5a01_zps47e541c6.jpg

Se5a02_zps7fbbf4b0.jpg

Se5a03_zpsdccb723a.jpg

Se5a04_zps333caa88.jpg

• Like 1

Nice start Andrew.

Just make sure any excess paint is removed as these superbly engineered WNW kits don't take prisoners with fit tolerance on join areas!

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Gary

• Like 1

Have you ever tried liquin instead to thin the oils? You can achieve a very smooth finish. Uschi Van Rosten has released a thinner for oil paints which reduces the drying time to just a few hours.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

How's it going?

Slowly - no progress since I posted the pics other than applying some Klear on the prop. I am trying to finish off my D-Day group build at the moment but once that is complete there will be nothing else on the bench and I can concentrate on the Se5a. It should be finished by the deadline but it may be close.

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress at last. Other than rigging this will be straight out of the box.

Se5a05_zps5040acf6.jpg

Se5a06_zps72be0275.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a quick update on the Se5a.

In order to avoid having to mask off the fuselage mounted gun I decided to remove the barrel which can then be inserted into the cowling after the painting is finished. Very little detail can be seen within the fuselage once it is all closed up anyway.

Se5a07_zpse0a73098.jpg

The last picture showing the engine. With the cowling on very little of the engine will be able to be seen but it is fully painted anyway although no extra detail was added. Incidently for anyone else building this kit with the cowling on you need to put the main piece of the cowling in place over the engine before attaching the pieces that cover the end of the cylinder blocks. The instruction book does not make it very clear but if the cowling is assembled before fitting on the model than it will not fit over the engine and it will need to be cut apart for fitting.

Se5a08_zpsac47f725.jpg

I spent most of yesterday afternoon masking off the ribs for some pre-shading work today. Vary busy schedule between now ant the end of the GB so it may or may not be finished in time. Just depends on how long the rigging takes.

Se5a09_zps138a868f.jpg

Pre-shading done and the underside sprayed with Tamiya XF55 as per the kit instructions. All surfaces due to have PC10 on have been preshaded with black. Clear doped linen areas have been preshaded with olive drab so as not to be too dark. I am aiming for an effect where the ribs are a bright clear doped linen and inbetween is a fairly uniform darker version as per the colour pics in the instructions.

Se5a10_zps34a93e84.jpg

Se5a11_zps6efe8d05.jpg

Se5a12_zps9faa7afc.jpg

Wow the cockpit, and a good technique for the wings !! :thumbsup:

Ettore

Edited by Ettore
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...