RNZAF P-51D, Airfix 1/72 ++FINISHED++

mumbles

The RNZAF operated the Mustang postwar after ordering them to replace the Corsair from 1945. The end of the war saw most of the order cancelled and those received to be placed in storage, before being activated in 1950 to fly with the Territorial (reserve) arm of the RNZAF. The Airfix F-51 boxing is basically perfect for doing an RNZAF machine, as it includes all the parts necessary, namely the uncuffed prop and rocket rails. With that in mind I'm using up the remaining decals on my Ventura RNZAF Mustang sheet, and doing the first option, which is a Mustang fresh out of the shipping crate and still with the US serial on the fin. I also decided to customise this one a little bit by adding an exposed engine from the Verlinden P-51D Update set. The rest of the set I'll use on other builds.

Colour scheme is the first option here:
IMG_7046s_zps1595c7a0.jpg

First thing to do is start carefully cutting up the fuselage:

IMG_7047s_zps85f88f3f.jpg

Considering it was intended for the Hasegawa kit the Verlinden engine fits pretty well. That's a good start so far:
IMG_7048s_zps6e9e0dac.jpg

Edited by mumbles
  • Like 2

Is that engine a single resin casting ? Looks like an easy way to add a lot of detail ! May not be the easiest to paint though

Yes the unit in the picture is a single casting, which I'm genuinely looking forward to painting as the detail shold come up nicely. There are more engine bearers and mounts for the cowlings to add. Verlinden also supplied a bunch of wire presumably to use as pipework but the most obvious piping is already moulded in. I'm curious as to where it is supposed to go as the instructions are less than forthcoming.

I'm also suspecting the casting might be slightly warped, although I haven't finished fettling it yet. Here is the moulding from above and lining up on the firewall it may be hooking to the right:

5b34600a-449e-4704-b813-429444541446_zps

Here is the first how goes it to see how the main parts are going to go together. I had big fit problems with the wing to fuselage on my previous Airfix Mustangs but it doesn't seem to be an issue with this one.

IMG_7054s_zps06fe9a1b.jpg

• Like 1

I like the subject!

The engine looks interesting, lots of work to paint but it should look awesome once done.

I'm looking forward to painting it, the tricky part is figuring out what if any detail needs adding - I expect this will become clearer once it is primered.

Right next update. Not much to see here other than to illustrate how I have cut away bits of the wing root that are superfluous in order to get a better fit and actually have a Mustang with a semblance of dihedral, and cutting away the parts of the engine moulding that won't be visible for a better fit. This also shows the wing puttying to lessen/remove the panel lines for a relatively factory fresh machine.
IMG_7059s_zps699f3943.jpg

Next I thought I'd get clever and saw the control column gates off the main sprue to make it easier to remove without breaking it.
IMG_7060s_zpsf760281c.jpg

I then promptly broke it anyway when the part sprung/rebounded off the cutting mat rebounded when I cut the first gate.

Here is the cockpit (sans upper control column) ready to go in. Maybe we could institute an "Honorary Order of the Broken Column" to bestow on Airfix Mustang builders :). I've also removed the foremost part of the cockpit insert so as to not foul the engine when it's attached.
IMG_7066s_zpsd2d0f407.jpg

And the fuselage interior - not going nuts with this as it's 1/72 and the canopy will be closed.
IMG_7061s_zps10d1e33c.jpg

Cockpit fitted with column restored.

IMG_7067s_zpsfbc9e6e3.jpg

And the fuselage assembled with the wing test fitted ready for the real fettling (namely an engine that fits better on one side than the other) to begin. It's compatriots eagerly watch in the background :)
IMG_7068s_zps96252be4.jpg

Edited by mumbles
  • Like 2

Thats looking nice so far, good job :)

One tip, as an experienced Airfix P-51D pilot sticks breaker... :D i m using my modellers saw (that one which looks like razor blade) and slowly cut off the stick with it. Yea, i know i m always comming with tips when you dont need them anymore... :/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back with an update after a break in proceedings.

"Fits pretty well"

What loon said that?

The engine was warped in more than one way, and fit pretty well on either side, but not both at the same time. Cue lots and lots, and a few more lots of sanding and shimming. Still at the end the engine is now attached and after all that the alignment is very slightly off, but I won't tell if you won't - when the prop is mounted it will mask it. I don't normally do that, but it's either do that or abandon it, because positioning the engine was sucking the joy right out of things.

All it needs now is a bit of a tidy up and it's ready for paint. In the interim the fuselage and wings have been filled and sanded, and only needs the radiator lip and pylons attached.

Spot the shim:
IMG_7284s_zps0cb28012.jpg

Engine mounted (more shims) and with a bit of primer on the detail really starts to show up. I still don't know where the extra wiring/tubing supplied by Verlinden is supposed to go, as every time I find a pipe on references I find it on the piece, apart from the stuff you won't really see in 1/72:

IMG_7285s_zps3941b05c.jpg

Edited by mumbles
  • Like 1

ooo thats lovely!!!

it's coming along very nicely.

I bet Airfix was really worried that the control column was going to come loose somehow!!!

Or the moulds were designed by people who wouldn't have to build it. I know Wingnut Wings had issues in the beginning with that kind of thing - people awesome at CAD but not too familiar with how the end product functioned.

Anyway, thanks all

Further progress - all the underside bits have now been added (yes I did cut all the little pylons from the rockets and add them separately) and it's ready for priming. I'm not building it with the gear up, it's just that the fit is so good they can mask the bays while being undercoated themselves. I'm also leaving the tailplanes off as it makes painting the tail easier, and the fit of those is good enough that they won't need any filler.

IMG_7300s_zpsda8cdb07.jpg

It was at about this point I realised that not only have I not consulted the instructions once so far on this build, I haven't even taken them out of the box!

First coat of primer is on and only a few bits need fixing, so painting will be underway in the next couple of days.

• Like 1

Painting in progress. Results after the first bout of primer:

IMG_7301s_zps6d822a17.jpg

Engine detail really starting to appear under primer as expected. Hope I do it justice :)
IMG_7306s_zpsd2482f86.jpg

Undercoated with gloss black to give the aluminium and panel lines a bit of depth, then sanded back to make the surface smoother. I've wrapped up the engine because I didn't want various layers of spray interfering with the texture on it when it comes to painting:
IMG_7308s_zpsdb315efa.jpg

And the first coats of gloss aluminium going down:
IMG_7310s_zps37c9c544.jpg

With only a few more panel line fill flaws to correct. . .
IMG_7311s_zpsc83d61eb.jpg

Edited by mumbles
  • Like 2

Okay, sorry for the slow progress here but lately I've not been getting a lot of time to work on things.

Gloss aluminium basecoat all done and polished, and anti-glare panel added:

IMG_7391s_zps18405489.jpg

Masking out the areas that are going to be natural metal via rub n buff:
IMG_7392s_zps768e4976.jpg

You can see the difference with the ailerons and underwing panel here:
IMG_7393s_zpsa8c0a747.jpg

And finally started work on painting the engine components:
IMG_7397s_zps62f46efe.jpg

• Like 1

Thats going very nice, lovely work so far :) But do not wait too long, you have like 10 days! ;)

Noted, but I'm only planning to need a couple of them - all going to plan this will be finished tomorrow night or the next day.

Thanks for the compliments all.

Test fitting the etched brass cowling frame to go on top:

IMG_7398s_zps16a74a6e.jpg

Empennage (fancy term, but I like using it :) ) and flaps given the rub n buff treatment, while the engine painting is nearly complete. The model is resting on a paper towel to protect the finish until the undercarriage is installed. You can see where airfix got the elevator hinge wrong, but since I didn't fix it on the other four of these I've built I'm not fixing it on this one.

IMG_7402s_zps1c7fff8e.jpg

Engine painting basically done bar touch ups and a wash. There are still a couple of engine bearer pieces to fit and paint and that end will be done. It's also more obvious from this angle that the engine piece wasn't designed for this kit, as the gap at the bottom shouldn't be there, but there isn't much that can be done about that beyond trying to make it look like it is supposed to be there as I have - either Airfix got it wrong, Hasegawa got it wrong, or Verlinden got it wrong :):shrug:

IMG_7404s_zps20daa05b.jpg

And tailplanes attached and test fitting the flaps:

IMG_7408s_zps3f4112b6.jpg

Edited by mumbles
  • Like 2

Next update :)

One bearer installed, and the other ready to go. I've also just noticed Verlinden made an error here, as the bearer should run behind the cowling frame rather than in front of it. Too late and too much effort to try and change it now. There is also a cowling frame that runs from behind the exhaust stack to the firewall that Verlinden didn't include, but this is often seen removed on the real thing I have found.

IMG_7412s_zps5bd985b4.jpg

An airframe is no good without accessories:
IMG_7414s_zps0287f767.jpg

And on it's feet looking a bit like a warbird restoration:

IMG_7417s_zps1deb4481.jpg

The undercarriage legs are even straight-ish. The bendy one is the one on the right. They look straighter in real life and the model sits perfectly level in any case:

IMG_7420s_zps6e6a4b3f.jpg

Decalling underway and briefly evoking a Royal Navy Mustang:
IMG_7421s_zpsfcf34d1e.jpg

Decalling done:
IMG_7423s_zpsce68da52.jpg

I've also fabricated a new aerial mast. Do I need to explain why? :)
IMG_7424s_zps7a92e964.jpg

Edited by mumbles
  • Like 3