My sons first build - Airfix Curtiss Tomahawk 1/72

Went to the Imperial War Museum with the family on Sunday and we let the boys choose something from the shop at the end.

My 5 year old chose an Airfix Curtiss Tomahawk.

So this WIP is going to show his build. I thought it needed marked for posterity.

It's a case of getting it built in one sitting (like me when I was younger).

6C8C8A51-5D02-4109-8EA8-70C2379EDB9F_zps

F09E93E7-97EB-4631-88FF-A83862459617_zps

J

• Like 10

It's the shark teeth IMO.

J

Absolutely. I find that while Spitfires are usually the first choice, the Tomahawk -or, occasionally, the Mustang- always comes into the mix because of 'the teeth'.

It's looking good so far, and the enthusiasm shows in the way the box has been ripped open. :thumbsup2:

Great stuff!

My lad and I just started making kits about a year or so ago.

He got an Airfix Bae Hawk for his 5th birthday which we built together...... and now Dad is completely addicted again after a 30+ year absence from the hobby!!

Love seeing your photos. Have fun and enjoy the family time

Cheers

Bruce

Aaahhhh, nostalgia. When I was about seven or eight, my Dad bought me my first model. Coincidentally:

DSCN2760_zps8a8a2170.jpg

The old fashioned blister pack, which I hunted down and bought recently as a reminder.

The instructions were printed on the back of the card in those days:

DSCN2762_zps4088e1da.jpg

We built it together in one sitting, as you and your son did, and I still have it, about forty years later:

DSCN2763_zpsdb492164.jpg

It'll never leave me, the memories are too precious.

One day, in about forty years, maybe your son will also look back fondly on that first model he built with his Dad...

Thanks for bringing back nice memories,

Dean

• Like 7

Aaahhhh, nostalgia. When I was about seven or eight, my Dad bought me my first model. Coincidentally:

DSCN2760_zps8a8a2170.jpg

The old fashioned blister pack, which I hunted down and bought recently as a reminder.

The instructions were printed on the back of the card in those days:

DSCN2762_zps4088e1da.jpg

We built it together in one sitting, as you and your son did, and I still have it, about forty years later:

DSCN2763_zpsdb492164.jpg

It'll never leave me, the memories are too precious.

One day, in about forty years, maybe your son will also look back fondly on that first model he built with his Dad...

Thanks for bringing back nice memories,

Dean

That's awesome Dean.

Well done.

Why is it that we can't help but go back and find those kits from our youth and build them again?

Even though there's probably better versions now with crisper lines and better detail and decals that work and and and......?

It's an interesting thing but I guess it's just wanting to connect back to something that had lot's of happy memories as a kid

Also think that's why the dads among us often have a go again with our kids when they get to a suitable age.

I just hunted down an old Matchbox kit I had to make again! LOL :clown:

Great stuff.

You can sense your sons eagerness by the way he has ripped open the box - now that's excitement for you.

I wish my son had the same desire, although he did hint at building a 109 a while back, - only to loose interest and go back to the computer to blast his way through another battle!!

I wish you both the best of modelling experiences, keep the encouragement up and shield him away from those young frilly looking things (i.e. - girls).

Cheers .. Dave

Cheers guys,

We have put a first coat on the underside.

16A5850C-4D55-48B7-A498-A234F0C110B3_zps

Incidentally, I picked up one of my first models at Telford last year, it was £3 so I couldn't resist. Did the same scheme I did when I was 9.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961127-airfix-hawker-hunter-fga-57-export-version-of-the-fga-9/?fromsearch=1

J

• Like 1

I used to love building model kits with my Grandad, I built a 1/144 A380 with my Dad.

I have just started my younger brother on kits and he has built a Fokker 100 and an AN-124 in 2 days!

My god children are fast builders haha!

Great progress mate.

Nice to see new comers to the hobby.

• Like 1

Good work for young fingers.

Will be watching to the finish.

I think it's all down to the generation gaps, and in the olden days there wasn't any computers or interweb ( unless you were lucky ennough to own a video pong game).

Matt.

• Like 1

That.s coming together really nicely. Impressive work for a 5 year old and I hope his success encourages him to do more. Side by side father and son modelling must be a great feeling.

David

• Like 1

Well, as it might have it, my first kit was an Airfix Kittyhawk aswell :3

I built it a few years ago when I was 7, my dad bought me it.

It wasn't the best model ever made, but the shark teeth were the thing that definitely did it for me :)

Dylan

Edited by CymroPenguin

• 2 months later...