Hobbycraft Hurricane IIc 1/48

Working on the theory of better a bad photo than no photo. Here it is. Almost straight out of the box. I added the exhaust glare-shields by eyeball, and replaced the solid tip lights with clear ones. Aftermarket decals because there were none in the kit. I didn't look at any drawings, check dimensions or detail. Quite relaxing. Fit was very good.

I once put 38 parts into a 1/72 Hurricane. This has four....

Robin

53BFA4F3-20D9-4615-9B76-F2AC966F5FC1

E2EAF478-4880-4D96-88F8-FE8B286C3738

Edited by Robin-42
  • Like 4

Hobby craft vary wildly, from quite nice, accurate in outline CF100 (mainly because they appeared to steal from the excellent Astra vacuform) to unbuildable garbage copies like their Tracker and Foxbat. I can't speak to the accuracy of the Huricsne as I like to build some models without trying to detail or make them more accurate, besides my son gave it to me. I had to build, and finish it this century!

Really nice :) Good to see one built

I had one of these in the stash once. From what I could gather, it is a copy of the 1/48 Airfix Mk.1 Hurricane with recessed panel lines and updated to Mk.II standard. The parts of the Hobbycraft and the Airfix are very similar apart from the obvious Mk.1 to Mk.II differences

Chris

• 2 months later...

Hi Robin

Neat little build.

Now for the Hurricane anorak bit...

And the good news is...The Hobbycraft Hurricane is based on the Airfix Hurricane, but as a MK IIC, [ has longer II nose and right wing panels for IIC] EDIT - as already helpfully mentioned by Chris

It has the same faults as the Airfix kit, which is a bit slim in fuselage round cockpit and wing not thick enough are the main faults. Kits has engraved panel lines, but they are a bit heavy, and it's light on fine detail.

But, as it is pretty good shapewise, it builds up to as good a shelf model as the Airfix.

The kit also comes with what on casual inspection are decent 40mm Vickers S guns and drop tanks.

It also has the best shaped Rotol 'bullet' spinner of any of the 1/48th kits ;)

cheers

T

• 2 weeks later...