de Havilland DH.88 Comet 1/72

Hi,

That was finished last year, never got around taking pictures of it.

First got the kit for practicing a bit, but I think I got crazy trying to get a smooth finish with the brush...

I'm quite happy with the finish :)

Gallery

14982911962_01bbebf271_c.jpgIMG_7587.jpg by scorder666, on Flickr

14796594619_292b1fd847_c.jpgIMG_7595.jpg by scorder666, on Flickr

14982913222_92990e0796_c.jpgIMG_7591.jpg by scorder666, on Flickr

14796666538_b02304390c_c.jpgIMG_7592.jpg by scorder666, on Flickr

scorder

Edited by scorder
  • Like 19

Stunning finish for a gloss paint and a paint brush... Did you paint it matt and applied a gloss varnish on top? Or did you take the plunge with gloss enamel? Whichever, it worked!!!

Great job!

JR

Thanks everyone,

Regarding the paint, I have done something like 20 very very thin layers of Revell Aqua Color Emerald Green, which is gloss, with a flat brush. It was hard to get the intense green color.

I did some light and fine sanding at some point as well, in order to get a smooth surface. That killed the "gloss" pat.

Then a few thin layers of Future, then some more sanding because it looked slightly milky, then some Future again. Fortunately, that brought this nice shiny finish :)

I was just trying things, and it feels like a significant amount of luck was involved... I was close to the limit of my patience!

Stephane

• Like 1

"Quite happy with the finish" indeed!

Thanks for posting the explanation of how you achieved it, Stephane; very interesting. I'm not sure that I'd want to commit to 20 coats of paint, but that really is a superb smooth finish.

Also great to see a classic old kit done straight from the box, but made special without a host of aftermarket extras.

Jon

That is indeed the classic road to a lustrous high gloss - endless thinned coats of paint, carefully rubbed down at frequent intervals with the finest papers, followed by endless coats of thinned varnish rubbed down ditto, and the last few coats without rubbing down. Have to say, I don't have the patience.

• 1 month later...

Hello Stephane, I apologise for missing this the first time round but you have done a fine job of this ancient kit.

I'm in the middle of building one at the moment so I have an insight into just how much work went into achieving such a smooth finish.

Bravo.

10 out of 10 for patience in building a bit of a rough kit, which I recall building in about 1965-6 and it looked a bit basic to my 11/12 year old eyes then. You then applied all those coats of paint to get a great finish . I have to agree with you about the revell paints. There are some useful colours, but I have found it has to be thinned as it seems quite thick in the pot. Once you have it at a usable consistency it then appears to have the covering power of semi-skimmed milk.