Airfix C-47 Skytrain "Lily Bell II"-Op Market Garden

Airfix is still hitting slapshots into the net! Gem of a kit! OOB with Xtradecals, as it flew in Operation Market Garden. This Gooney Bird was lost on 25 October, 1944. It was suspected the load inside shifted way past aft CG, and crashed on takeoff near Guilford. All four crew aboard were lost.

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

Edited by Habu12
  • Like 33

What a superb Dak, even more so as it is a Market Garden aircraft too. As with the others I`m impressed by the way you have faded the upper surface D-Day stripes and the Olive Drab which you`ve used looks just right,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

For those asking about the invasion stripes, they were painted over for the same reason they were painted on in the first place-identification. They kept the bottom stripes but the topside wasn't required.

I painted them as they would have painted them at the time. I painted the stripes first, then over painted with OD. I just used lighter coats and varied the direction of my airbrush to give it a splotchy, uneven look.

What a beauty. Could almost be real. Well done

Thought that myself,it really does look that good.

I have one in it's box,it's a cracking looking kit and by what I'm seeing here on BM,builds up

oh-so-well too.

Stimpy,you dropped a minor whatsit,the Italeri/Esci is nice,but the shiney noo one from the 'Fix

is streets ahead.

• Like 1