Miles Master/Martinet

I should like to go on with presentation of some my models. Let stay with British airplanes. Now the Miles Master/Martinet family. First the family photos:

master DSC01403master DSC01402master Dsc01401

Master I cames from Pavla. It has just few additions/correction and the decals are not just out of the box.

master 1 DSC01381master 1 DSC01380master 1 DSC01379master1 DSC01382

Miles Master III  is basicly the very old Frog kit, however it was deeply re-shaped regarding drawings. BTW I should like to acknowledge my brother (KRK4m on this forum) for large help in research in completing documentation in this particular case and in general - as he deals professional on history of aviation. Going back to the Master III. The fuselage was cut - it is lower by about 2 mm now, the whole engin/cowling is new and the canopy cames from Pavla spare one (for late Mk I). There are other minor modifications as well - have a look please (I edided this paragraph on 20 August when I realized that I mixed Master Mk II and Mk III - my model is Mk III, with 14 cyliders US engine...):

master ii DSC01373master ii DSC01374master ii DSC01375master ii DSC01376master ii DSC01377master ii DSC01378

The Martinet comes not from Pavla kit, as one could think. This is a free scratch conversion from Frog Master II kit... This happend, because I started work on this just before a Martnet kit from Pavla apeared, but I finished it alredy knowing, that kit exists. Sometimes life if bitter, isn't? :)

It has a longer wingspan of course, again lower fuselage etc...

martinet DSC01386mmartinet DSC01385martinet DSC01384martinet DSC01383

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 22

That is the windmill that powers the winch to wind the trailing target back in (or what remains of it) after all the baby fighter pilots have finished trying to kill it.

JWM, those are fine models. There's a lot of work there even though they are small and apparently simple aircraft. I must get some Master kits at some stage.

I am interested in the drawings you used to re-shape your Master II. Are they available to the public?

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

Lovely work and a subject you seldom see! In mad moments I've toyed with the idea of trying to do a Miles Master "Emergency Fighter" - your work is making it harder and harder to avoid having a go! Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Great job on some interesting aircraft. We desperately need some injection moulded versions of all three of these in 1/48 as they have been so overlooked. Especially the Masters, over 3000 of them were built.

I have a vacuform mk3 to make at some point but right now it looks pretty grim.

• Like 1

Wow,they're superb,s'peshly the Master II and Martinet(and a Fleet one to boot!!!).

I too started to convert a Frog Master III into a Martinet and then the Pavla showed up.

I have a conversion article on how to do it out of Airfix magazine from a galaxy far,far away.

I'll get it scanned ASAP and pop up the link.

I'd love a gander at the Master II info you have.

That side number on the Martinet is familiar,is it one of 772's running out of Twatt

up in the Orkneys?

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

I too started to convert a Frog Master III into a Martinet and then the Pavla showed up.

I have a conversion article on how to do it out of Airfix magazine from a galaxy far,far away.

I'll get it scanned ASAP and pop up the link.

I'd love a gander at the Master II info you have.

That side number on the Martinet is familiar,is it one of 772's running out of Twatt

up in the Orkneys?

Hi,

I apologize, I am sorry - this is not Master II but III - I have just made a correction in original post about it. I did this models in 2003, so I am not now so much familiar with topic as when I was doing the models in 2003... This is 14 cylinder engine, not Bristol Mercury, 9 cylinders one - still it is not original Frog cowling nor engine since the original one are rather wrong

Martinet is that one you mentioned - from Orkneys.

Master Mk I is from Flying School in Sealand. Here is a photo:

http://www.forgottenairfields.com/united-kingdom/wales/clwyd/sealand-s945.html

and colour profile was in one Czech page:

http://airwar.valka.cz/britanie/master/index.php

The 3D views I used, came from a book about Miles company, from a library of Krakow Museum of Aviation (thanks Mike! [he uses nick name Krk4m here]) - i think this was that one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miles-Aircraft-Since-Lambert-Brown/dp/0370001273

I have not seen those plans in Internet...

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM

Hi,

I apologize, I am sorry - this is not Master II but III - I have just made a correction in original post about it. I did this models in 2003, so I am not now so much familiar with topic as when I was doing the models in 2003... This is 14 cylinder engine, not Bristol Mercury, 9 cylinders one - still it is not original Frog cowling nor engine since the original one are rather wrong

Martinet is that one you mentioned - from Orkneys.

Master Mk I is from Flying School in Sealand. Here is a photo:

http://www.forgottenairfields.com/united-kingdom/wales/clwyd/sealand-s945.html

and colour profile was in one Czech page:

http://airwar.valka.cz/britanie/master/index.php

The 3D views I used, came from a book about Miles company, from a library of Krakow Museum of Aviation (thanks Mike! [he uses nick name Krk4m here]) - i think this was that one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miles-Aircraft-Since-Lambert-Brown/dp/0370001273

I have not seen those plans in Internet...

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Cheers Jerzy.

• Like 1

Martian and Meatbox8 - many thanks for comments, apologize that after a long time...

Hi All - I am continuing rescue of old threads :). Again, one fourth or one fifth I am returning to cuurent RFI, sorry if you have seen it already...

Cheers

J-W

Hi Jerzy,

Again a lovely collection of some British aircraft you don't see very often built up on here.  To me I like the dark earth / dark green and yellow colors, something quite appealing.

More please, regards Colin :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

• 5 years later...

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting.

I'm an old Japanese modeler and I'm not good at English.

So please forgive me if I use strange English.

I am working on Master III now.

I will combine Frog's main wings and cowling with Pavla's fuselage.

Then I have a question.

What are the details of the underside of the nose of the Master III?

Please tell me if you know.

・I imagine some would be two exhaust pipes and a carburetor air intake.

・Is the starboard air intake for ventilation or for oil cooler?

・Especially I have no idea what is the looks like exhaust at the port side.