Revell 1/72 T5 Gannet

Another kit I finished recently but haven't got round to taking photos of until now.

The 1/72 Revell T5 Gannet, a very nice kit to build. Rather annoyingly I somehow lost the front windshield so had to make a new one from clear plastic from a carton or something.

It was painted in Tamiya Black, Revell Flourescent Red and Citadel Mythril Silver. Panel line weathering was done with a lead pencil as I wanted to keep it clean and subtle.

I added some cockpit wiring behind the IPs but it can't really be seen on the kit. You can see the big wad of lead plate added to stop her tail sitting.

IMG_3708_zpsa3bb3cf8.jpg

IMG_4196_zps418000f4.jpg

IMG_4198_zpsfe4a76c0.jpg

IMG_4212_zps1a8b08c6.jpg

IMG_4213_zps51075a74.jpg

Hope you like it.

Edited by Murdo
  • Like 9

Very nice model indeed. Strange aircraft the Gannet. Did the job though i guess. Tempted to get one now

I'm impressed...I tried to build this bird, but could NOT get the front of the canopy to fit. It now resides in a trash dump in northern Pennsylvania. Yours looks great. Care to share the secret of getting it to fit?? Well done. Model on!

Thanks all, chuffed you like it. I would recommend this kit to anyone, the fit is excellent... Um apart from the windscreen apparently?

I'm impressed...I tried to build this bird, but could NOT get the front of the canopy to fit. It now resides in a trash dump in northern Pennsylvania. Yours looks great. Care to share the secret of getting it to fit?? Well done. Model on!

Hi Les, Dunno about the screen, I lost mine before I got around to fitting it. :blush:

For a replacement I shaped a bit of paper to the correct size and shape then traced the shape on some clear plastic which came from a Chinese takeaway or something similar. It might have been one of those plastic pieces you get in the collar of new shirts. Most types of thin clear plastic will do. Once the plastic was cut and gently folded to shape I used a silver Sharpie marker to make the framing and "Formula 560" canopy glue to hold it in place.

You can get Sharpie markers in several metallic colours such as silver, gold, bronze etc.

It's actually quite easy to make a replacement screen for the Gannet, the other bulged canopies would be different matter altogether. :blink:

Hope this works for you... Or did you bin the entire Gannet as well as the ill fitting screen? :unsure:

Thanks very much...Looks like I'll be building another one and simply replacing the front section. I appreciate the info. I binned the entire lot...the box, model, decals, instructions and lousy fitting wind screen. Now I get to start over. I've got all the metallic markers and the proper glue....the rest is up to me.

Just go for it "out of the box" (OOB).

I found it a well engineered and therefore tight fitting kit so be careful where you get glue and paint, it can stop parts fitting together.

Oh, don't lose the windscreen but if you do, the fix is posted above.

Once you've had a go at the kit, post the pics onsite. We'll help if we can.

:popcorn:

Murdo...I had the kit 99%built...I just could NOT get the front canopy section to fit. So I binned the entire kit. I can always get another and try again. The rest of the kit was a no-brainer to build...its just that the most important piece of the kit did not fit.

Yours looks nice. I am building the same kit, and had many problems with fitting. Maybe it's from another production run...

Alex

love this FAA training scheme on their aircraft, you have done it proud on this Gannet T5