Italian Stallion - SVA 10 ++ Finished ++

May I enter the GB please, with one of the fastest aircraft of WW1, the SVA 10.

I'll be using the Choroszy 1/72 Resin kit.

SVA10_zps2a99dfd9.jpg

Lots of nicely detailed pieces (not all of which are necessarily shown on the instructions!), and a crisp decal sheet.

P1090024_zps87714500.jpg

Unfortunately, both options (Italian and Polish), are for post-war machines.

If things go to plan, this should end up on the IPMS WW1 display at Telford this year.

Cheers

Cliff

So long as there is a kit inside that pule of resin then welcome aboard what ww1 example are you going to do?

Let's hope there is, dazdot!

I'll be doing an Italian machine. I have the Windsock Datafile 122, which show a number of WW1 era SVA10s (delivery started in July 1918).

Unfortunately, the WW1 machines are much less colourful that the post war ones, with little to distinguish them apart from a serial number. I'll be making 12988.

Cliff

Some progress over the weekend.

I've started by tidying up the two fuselage halves. Generally OK, but I had some trouble with the engine cooling slots.

P1090025_zps5fdf649a.jpg

The slots on the kit (right-hand part), are roughly formed and my efforts to improve them (left-hand part), just made things worse! The openings are very small in 1/72 and I found the hard, brittle resin difficult to work with.

So I decided to fill the slots and will represent them with home-made decals when the model is finished. Should be much neater.

P1090026_zpsa42a5a09.jpg

I've also made a start on the cockpit interior. Credit to Choroszy, the major parts fit really well into the fuselage halves - no fiddling required.

P1090027_zps474c9e13.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thank you Jonners and Old Man :)

The clock is ticking and I've done nothing on the Ansaldo for almost a month.

So over the weekend I decided to kick start the kit again and finished off the interior

P1090028_zps53cbb2fc.jpg

Please ignore all the gunk where the seat belts attach - none is visible when the fuselage is closed up.

Here is the fuselage assembled, showing the distinctive taper of the tail. Area rules do not apply .....

P1090029_zps04b4d477.jpg

Behind the Ansaldo is the more portly fuselage of a contemporary Italian two-seater - an SAML 2. Some of you may remember that I started this earlier in the year as part of the Trainers GB (but obviously never finished). I'll be building this in parallel with the Ansaldo in order to stand a fighting chance of getting both finished in time for SMW.

I have a day off from work tomorrow, with no-one else in the house, so I'm hoping for some serious progress ....... ;)

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

A good day today - got all parts prepared, and as much assembly done as possible, before painting.

First assembly job was to fix on the lower wings. Strangely, Choroszy provides protruding stubs on both the fuselage and on the wings.

P1090030_zps123f38d5.jpg

The instructions imply that there is a gap between the wings and the fuselage. Sure enough, close examination of photos show that there is indeed a gap - something that I hadn't noticed before.

The gap is nowhere near as big the kit would give though (you could lose an ankle in that gap), so I shaved the lugs off the wings and just kept the ones on the fuselage. I also added in some brass rod to strengthen the join.

P1090031_zps977147be.jpg

P1090032_zps8c0c8e0c.jpg

After that it was on with the tail surface and the undercarriage.

I used the Choroszy resin struts provided for the undercarriage. Pretty sturdy, but noticeably over-scale - not sure whether to replace them........ :unsure:

P1090033_zps4bb2cceb.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

Thanks Christian and Steve :)

Some progress today - all priming finished. I don't know about you, but I always feel that the end is sight once the primer is on.

P1090035_zpsad6068eb.jpg

Just a couple of coats needed, with a rub down in between. No nasty air holes in the resin, so well done Choroszy.

Only nasty shock was that the priming revealed some less than perfect moulding on the radiator.

P1090036_zpsbec1fba9.jpg

To be fair, from top to bottom its only 12mm, so the wire grille is actually a pretty good effort. Overall though, it looks a bit tatty, so I'm hoping that the tried and tested combo of matt black paint and a judiciously placed prop should make it passable. ;)

Hopefully some colour on tomorrow - once I've finished helping to paint my step-son's new house (new baby coming too, in six weeks) :)

Cheers

Cliff

Thanks Darren :)

The Ansaldo is getting slightly more colourful now..

P1090037_zps6d285322.jpg

Next job is to mask all this up and start on the wooden fuselage (probably the best bit - I think!).

Cheers

Cliff

A little more progress today - the wooden fuselage is finished!

P1090040_zps7df541a0.jpg

Some tidying up and picking out of details to be done, then it will be into the Aeroclub jig for wing assembly.

Other things to do tomorrow unfortunately, but hopefully might get this one finished next week....

Cheers

Cliff

A quick update.

P1090046_zpsf187b76b.jpg

Almost ready to assemble the upper wing, but have the windscreen to do first.

Choroszy provide a small piece of flat acetate sheet and a small drawing that shows what shape that you need to cut out. That's the easy bit.

The hard bit is getting the necessary curve that you need. I anticipate an evening with a hair dryer and burnt fingers tonight......

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I'm really enjoying this build (my first for several months). It's going together much better than my previous Choroszy kit did (which is a good thing)!

The cabane struts provide a good base, so I'm now thinking that I probably won't use the Aeroclub jig for this one.

The resin struts are all too thick, so I will use alternatives for the inter-planes. The cabanes are not that visible with the upper wing on, so I'll probably leave them as they are....

Cheers

Cliff