Skunkworks (was Kinetic) F-16xl 1/48

The dragonborn

Has Kinetic ever downscaled one of their kits to 1:72?

They did scale down some F-16s but they stopped after that. It wasn't the best subject to start downscaling: many existing 1/72 F-16 kits already. Perhaps they'll try again.

• Like 1

Has Kinetic ever downscaled one of their kits to 1:72? I wish they start with this one...

Only the F-16I, but I doubt we'll see any more since this was their only ever attempt

It would sure be good to have a proper 1/72 XL, the Monogram kit is very inaccurate

• Like 2

Good to know, although I'm not a huge fan of kinetik's F-16s. Their later kits are IMHO much better, not surprisingly since the F-16 was probably their very first (or one of the first)

Read the comments of the Kinetic FB F-16XL post. They're considering retooling the F-16.

I fancy doing a Lizard Viper using the Caracal decal sheet, although I prefer the 2 seater. Hopefully both version will come in the same box.

Robert

• Like 2

I really hope they scale it down to 1:72. As it stands, I'm sorely tempted to buy one even though I'm trying to stick to 1:72 as much as I can...

I fancy doing a Lizard Viper using the Caracal decal sheet, although I prefer the 2 seater. Hopefully both version will come in the same box.

Robert

I was thinking the same thing...having grown up in the 80s, the combination of the F-16XL and the Lizard scheme is hard to resist.

Also can't help wondering how it would look in the JASDF F-2 scheme or IDF/AF desert camo...

Edited by Sabre_days
  • Like 1

So how likely are we going to get a two-seater??... I have some what-ifs in mind...

Should be possible to graft an existing two seater F-16 cockpit on to it? Like you, I have several "what ifs " in mind - including at least one two seater

Allan

• Like 3

Couple of notes: there were definitely 2 airframes (seen 'em flying side by side); design was in pursuit of greater load carrying and greater range - which it has in spades. That is why it went up against the F-15 Eagle as the next bomb truck. Of course, I have a conversion 65% complete using the wings from a "spare" Combat Models B-58, but suppose this kit will put paid to that project! Perhaps not - if the kit has two or more decal options, I could use the extras on my conversion build... hmmm.

BTW, the "1:32 scale" Revell kit is a rebox of the predecessor Kangnam (or was it also 'Ace'?) which was an inaccurate Chinese knockoff of the Hasegawa F-16A kit where they simply made (undersized) 'XL wings to fit the unaltered 'A fuselage, which just looks strange. The real XL had two approx. 1 ft fuselage plugs applied that gives it a sleek, long look...

R/ Robert

Note that the Revell (CejI) 32nd F-16XL was the first release of this kit. Later, a So. Korean company got the molds and repopped the XL under ACE, then later Kangman acquired the molds. All these kits are the same, just lesser in injection quality was the molds were handed off. They are share the same gross inaccuracies. All these 32nd F-16XL renditions have the standard F-16 fuselage length with most inaccurate F-16XL Delta wings.

The fuselage was lengthened by 56" in two specific areas: a 30" plug aft of the rear canopy transparency and a 26" section just aft of the 341 bulkhead; where the MLG mounts. The intake duct was also extended 26" to cover the false Engine bay space of the 26" aft plug

I can see a bit of whiffing in those test shots: the XL never carried the JDAM bombs....

Never was a fan "What-ifs"....but I do like "Concept" aircraft. The F-16XL had a few proposals that were based on real concepts"; not fictional squadrons or configurations. There was a LANTIRN XL (Similar to the Block 40 Configuration), 6 HARM Platform Wild Weasel/SEAD variant with spine, a Recce version, and an Enhanced Interceptor concept.

So how likely are we going to get a two-seater??... I have some what-ifs in mind...

I am not sure if there will be the 2 seat Kinetic F-16XL. As it is, there are some missing details from the current Single seat version such as the spin chute bracketing. This is a good thing if looking to covert it to the 2 seat Ship II XL, as it did not have this configuration. Also note that Ship 1 did not have the spin chute bracketing until mid 83.

Mike V

• Like 1

If Mike says a new F-16 kit is pretty good accuracy wise, then it's good for me ! :)

Wonder if I should continue the work on the old Monogram kit or ditch it and buy this one now. True that the Monogram one is 1/72 and I'm not sure we'll see any 1/72 kit soon

I appreciate the vote of confidence. I can't wait to get a one of these in hand and get a more detailed look at it.

As for 72nd; if this kit doesn't get scaled down, we have the means to make the conversion. We are still undecided in what kit will be used for the conversion; the Revell /ROG F-16 or the much more accurate and better Tamiya F-16CJ.

• Like 1

(...)

As for 72nd; if this kit doesn't get scaled down, we have the means to make the conversion. We are still undecided in what kit will be used for the conversion; the Revell /ROG F-16 or the much more accurate and better Tamiya F-16CJ.

A very good question. Living in Germany my answer is ROG as it seems a very nice kit (I have it, but did not build it yet), is quite easy to get and very cheap. The Tamiya kit sells for about twice the price here and is more difficult to get. I guess this is true for the most part of Europe.

Something I am not sure about is the needed parts: There are some boxings of the ROG F-16 which have a sprue or so less. So maybe not all ROG boxings will have the needed parts for the F-16XL conversion.