Skunkworks (was Kinetic) F-16xl 1/48

The dragonborn

In regards to the ROG F-16, Yes there are only a few kit releases that will be compatible for the single seater and the 2 seat XL.

The main advantage of the Tamiya F-16, is it's vastly superior surface detail; in regards to fit and accuracy. It also has a more accurate basic F-16 shape to work with. Of course it doesn't have the proper tail, intake, or cockpit for any of the XLs.

More to come on this.

Looking good, but I already see a problem. Why did they leave the donut panel on the fuselage? The lower curve contours are missing from the trailing edge. Interesting. Can't wait to get my sample and check the shape and contours against my refs.

Any word on the decal options ?
I hope that decals for the NASA livery are included.

I doubt it, Even if so, the kit will need to be upgraded with the spin chute bracketing to be correct. Ship 1 received the Spin Chute mod in mid 83.

xl.jpg

Edited by Mike V
  • Like 1

Looking good, but I already see a problem. Why did they leave the donut panel on the fuselage? The lower curve contours are missing from the trailing edge. Interesting. Can't wait to get my sample and check the shape and contours against my refs.

I doubt it, Even if so, the kit will need to be upgraded with the spin chute bracketing to be correct. Ship 1 received the Spin Chute mod in mid 83.

Hi Mike,

What is the donut panel and where is it located ?

The spin chute bracketing can be made from strips of plasticard. Will require some trial and error but it will make it an interesting and original project.

Would you be so kind and do a tweaks list on what needs to be changed to convert the kit into an early and a late single seat F-16XL ?

As for the decals : an excellent decal designer did a wonderful NASA decal sheet that has lots of meatballs, logos and swooshes some (was it 20 ?) years ago. Jennings, can you help us ?

Donut panel installed without the engine. This is not the norm when the Engine is out of an F-16. However since the XL was stored outside, the donut and bathtub panels were installed fully. The XL's donut panel is the same as the Pratt F-16A/C donut panel.

XLAftfairings2_zps7607eda8.jpg

XLAftfairings1_zpsf6cbc1c7.jpg

The spin chute bracketing can be made from sheet strip stock, but you need to note the layout and the angles of the main mount brackets. The brackets angles just need to be close, unless you plan to make and install a spin chute assembly; then the proper angling is crucial. As per:

SPINCHUTEF16CG.jpg

I'll be making a list of tings to correct and add to make either the early non-spin chute/non Heavy Weight Gear F-16XL Ship 1 and the Post 83 Mod, with the Spin Chute and Heavy Weight Gear mods. Still need to see the kit though.

NASA XL Decals would be great, but need to be done correctly. CE did a nice job on their 32nd decal sheet; one of the few ares they did well in on their 32nd XL conversion.

Mike V

• 2 weeks later...

Way to go Mike! That side profile shot of the model immediately shows the missing curvature of the real wing leading edge. That was what I got 'backwards' on my scratchbuild and so it sits wing-less awaiting it's day in "court".

So it goes - still, if I think I can fix the HB YF-23, then this should be a 'doable' kit as well...

R/ Robert

Edited by rbeach84

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Single Seater never had the 110 engine. Nor was it common to see anything but short stores on the stubs (CBU-58, CBU-87 or 'TMD' equivalent mockup, as well as Mk.82, don't know about Snakes), mixed loads and PGM were very rare, I recall there being a tendency to blank pylons behind the leading edge stubs when fit with LAU-117/Maverick and large Mk.83/.84 having their own, dedicated, pylons, mid-chord. Gun muzzle was experimental, to allow single shots of a modified M39 firing 30X173 AT ammo.

The two seater was neat with the Grape Stripe camouflage. The standard F-16 scheme on the single seater, not so much.

There was an excellent Aviation Week PIREP on this airframe and specifically the flight control modes and how they changed behaviors of the airframe relative to gust and weapons loads.

Hope they get the hunched back, the stinger tail and _the nose_ correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting alternative "fictional" markings; though the Nellis jet would have been more practical with "OT" tail codes. The IAF version was suppose to have the spine, more ECM, and extra CHAFF/Flare modules. Can't wait to see this first hand.

• Like 1

Interesting alternative "fictional" markings; though the Nellis jet would have been more practical with "OT" tail codes. The IAF version was suppose to have the spine, more ECM, and extra CHAFF/Flare modules. Can't wait to see this first hand.

discussing about fiction..... ;)

IAF single seaters are without the exptra spine, no? actually all the single seaters!

are there drawings, plans ideas, whatsoever that would suggest otherwise?

You're thinking standard IAF F-16 single seaters. The IAF proposal F-16XL had both a single and two seat spine arrangement.

cool, never new that!

ut looking for photos of the rea, and existing ones:

found this:

that is a weird and interesting mod! I fear, this will also not be possible to do oob ;)

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/multimedia/imagegallery/F-16XL2/EC96-43831-5.html#.VUsQ_pP9bbM

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/multimedia/imagegallery/F-16XL2/EC96-43811-2.html#.VUsRcZP9bbM

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/multimedia/imagegallery/F-16XL2/EC95-43297-2.html#.VUsRx5P9bbN

:)

Very cool indeed!

I'd think that modification to the two seater would be possible using a F-16B/D front fuselage. Possibly one of the Kinetic boxings would give the least fit issues?

I'm very happy to see the NASA decal option included. Thank You Kinetic!

We're already on that. I'm hoping they implemented that relief cut to the inside of the forward upper fuselage I requested. If so, it will make the 2 seat conversion that much practical. The cockpit and intake will be the other obstacles to contend with.

That would be the laminar flow wing; quite an extensive mod. It looks quite ugly on the jet and it's only been partially de-modded and is currently dry rotting at NASA'S bone yard.

Mike V

• Like 1