Bombardier CRJ-100 - 1:144 BPK

Viking

Bombardier CRJ-100
1:144 BPK (Big Planes Kits)

boxtop.jpg

The Bombardier CRJ (Canadair Regional Jet) is a a highly successful small airliner which started life as a development of the Canadair Challenger, and has been developed and stretched from the -100 series to the -1000 series. Entering service in 1992 the 50 seat CRJ-100 was soon developed into the CRJ-200 with more efficient engines, and sold widely to many airlines around the world, with a total of 1,021 of both models being delivered. The stretched CRJ-700/900/1000 series is still in production, with over 600 having been delivered. CRJ's can be seen at virtually any major airport around the world, and are likely to be in service for many more years.

The Kit

BPK from Ukraine is a relatively new manufacturer who started off producing a lovely 1:72 Boeing 737. They have now branched into 1:144 scale and chosen the CRJ-100 as their first model. This is a good choice as it is such widely used aeroplane, and no doubt the aftermarket decal manufacturers will be along soon with many of the liveries worn by this aircraft. (The CRJ-100 is due to be released in 1:72 scale soon, as noted on the side of the box).

The kit comes in a neat top opening box, with a side profile drawing of one of the 3 options contained within. Inside there are 3 grey plastic sprues of components, 1 clear, 1 photo etch fret, resin engine parts, a sheet of window masks, and a decal sheet. A pretty comprehensive kit of parts.

pe.jpg

The first thing to notice is that model has a complete flight deck, with pilots seats, instrument panel, centre console, and rear bulkhead. Decals are supplied for the panel and console, and even for the rear bulkhead. This assembly fits into a separate nose moulding, which itself is in clear plastic, which is then fitted to the main fuselage sections. This is a great idea, as it should create an excellent blended in windscreen with minimum effort, particularly as pre-cut windscreen masks are supplied.

SprueB-det.jpg

Also unusual is the treatment of the cabin windows. The fuselage has recess running along it, into which you fit a clear plastic strip each side. Window masks are the placed over these, and removed after painting to reveal the cabin windows.

mask.jpg

You could either cut out part of the recess leaving a lip around its edge for the clear strip, or paint it black before fitting the clear part. Either way, it should create nice flush windows and I am keen to get on with the build and see how it goes.

sprueB.jpg

SprueA.jpg

The engines are made from injection moulded upper and lower halves and pylon, with resin exhaust cones and intakes. Having the intake and fan detail as a single piece like this is by far the best way of doing it, as there is no awkward join inside to clean up.

resin1.jpg

resin2.jpg

The rest of the construction is conventional, with a 1 piece lower wing with 2 uppers, and a main gear bay. The 'T' tail and undercarriage complete the model. Apparentlt there is a flaw on the injection moulded fin, so a resin replacement is provided.

sprueC.jpg

resin3.jpg

All the mouldings are nicely done, with fine detail and minimum flash. Panel lines are very lightly engraved, and the trailing edges of the wings and tailplanes are lovely and thin.

SprueD.jpg

sprueD-det.jpg

Decals are provided for 3 liveries. 1) is the early 'Delta Connection' Comair cheatline scheme, 2) is the later plain white Delta Connection scheme with a blue underside, and 3) is the overall white Air France scheme.

options.jpg

The decal sheet is silk screen printed with good colours and in perfect register. All the edges and lettering are crisp and sharp. A large range of tiny little stencils are supplied, along with a choice of several registrations for all 3 options.

decals.jpg

Conclusion.

This is an impressive new release for BPK's first entry into 1/144 scale. The attention to detail is excellent, with the use of photo etch and resin where appropriate, and the decal sheet covers every last detail that will be found on the external airframe. I really like the innovative way of doing the cockpit and cabin glazing, it should give a very good result. It is a very well thought out, high quality, complete package (do you know of any other injection moulded airliner kit that comes with etched windscreen wipers!). So impressed am I, that this kit is going straight on to my workbench today and will shortly feature in the 'Work in Progress' section.
[Edit] WIP thread is now here. [/Edit]

[Edit] Finished model is here [/Edit]

Finally, I hope that BPK consider doing some more 1:144 airliners, top of my personal wish list would be a Q400 (in FlyBe colours please!) which would make the perfect companion to this one.

Highly recommended

Review sample courtesy of logo.png

• Like 4

Great review as always John :) It's a nice wee kit, and I'm wondering if you liked my work in assembling the box for you before I handed it over ;)

In other photos of the kit parts, there's a separate tail piece in white (presumably resin) that appears to be the same as the one on the sprues. Is it the same?

Buzz,

Well spotted! corrected now.

Cheers

John

• 2 years later...

Just bought the new 1/144 CC-144/CE-144 Challenger in RCAF marks. Very nice plastic with some flash but VERY disappointed in the colour diagrams for decal placement. I am finding it VERY very hard to see the locations for the tiny decals because it is printed so dark! And not only that, the item numbers on the decal sheet (item 8 for example)  all the different serials but which one goes to which option is nigh impossible to determine!!! Also there are a couple items that don't appear on the instructions so no knowing where they go too... if at all applicable to this issue. There are a couple other issues like the total lack of painting guides for interior areas for example and only some paint numbers for the main camo but no reference to paint maker or anything.  The captions for each of the options are vague in as much they don't give a serial for any of them which makes it even harder to determine which decal goes with which option.

Then there are the masks!  Apart from the obvious how is one supposed to apply the fuselage cabin windows! The fuselage is moulded in clear plastic on this new issue of the kit and there are no outlines for them to help line up the masks for accurate application.