1/32 Flying Tiger P-40

Mr B

Hi guys

I am currently in the process of building the trumpeter 1/32 KittyHawk into a AVG -Flying Tigers bird. Mainly OOB only the Eduard P.E for the cockpit and after market decals.

image_zps0d70191d.jpg

image_zps6bffb64d.jpg

image_zps08c7fae6.jpg

image_zpsef52f2ea.jpg

image_zpsd28e61cd.jpg

Managed to finish the engine today. Just needs a satin coat and then onto the cockpit

Happy Modeling

Rgds

mr b

• Like 3

Got an update .....

image_zps6cd77664.jpg

firewall all done up

image_zpsa04c2eec.jpg

image_zps445956fd.jpg

side walls also done. I lost one part on the top .....just waiting for a coat of matt

image_zpsd7e58a24.jpg

image_zps8ba925bb.jpg

Engine mounted on the firewall and hoping for a good fit.....

Moving onto to the floor and panel and seat soon......then I think not much more to go.....

Nice kit enjoying it thus far

rgds and happy modeling

mr b

• Like 2

Thanks a bunch Fritag and winenut for the nice words.

Took off the cockpit parts from the runners and cleaning them up now.......hope to button it up by end of the week

rgds and happy modeling

mr b

• Like 1

Managed to get some work done on the cockpit.....and now a I can see that gaping design error......on the cockpit floor.....ohhh well......I guess would and can live with that....

image_zps747bd4c9.jpg

image_zps703c6435.jpg

image_zps710c0b77.jpg

All completed sections still need a coat of Matt...will be tackling the seat and belts next and then hopefully look at buttoning up the fuselage sides.....

happy modeling guys....I really am enjoying this build but it seems to be taken forever .....looks simple enough but labor intensive with them PE parts.....

rgds

mr b

• Like 1

I'm still trying to work out what the gaping error is! :shrug:

Hi mate

if you look at the instrumental panel, it's almost at the floor of the cockpit obscuring the rudder paddles. The kit has a poor design of having a shallow cockpit floor.....could be tackled with an after market set or some own modification.....both of which I elected not to do....just being lazy on the second option....and could not find a resin one in time.....anyways chugging along.....onto the belts and seat...

hope it clarifies .....

rgds and happy modeling

mr b

• Like 1

Hi Guys

Thanks for the nice words....I'll try and explain it here......start by a preshade ......of black.....the build up the base color in layers ....following that mist with very dilute brown.....and after that a mist of white.....on selected areas of preference and finally a bit of the base color to highlight a bit and breakthrough the grime created..then dry brush silver to acent the detail a bit.....then chalk pastel wash then.....done....u can play around a little bit more after that if you like.....to further bring up details you like....then finally matt coat the whole thing.....I use brown pastels as opposed to black as black is to stark....hope this helps guys....

progressing

almost at the point to close the sides.....lacking behind abit on my schedule

image_zps10ff1356.jpg

image_zps9dd83fdb.jpg

image_zps51a29eb1.jpg

image_zps1a396317.jpg

image_zps3fa39b1b.jpg

Thanks guys moving onto the wings soon....

rgds

mr b

• Like 3

Weekend progress

image_zps6004f86d.jpg

image_zpsd56ab873.jpg

image_zpsa5cde251.jpg

It's a single unit now....just need to clean up the seams and smooth over for painting. I also need to remember to put back the last exhaust stack.....Not an expert on the P-40 but I plan to leave the top engine cover off....

Also since I got a figure ......a mate passed me his Jeep....it's the SAS boxing but I am improvising it for a small display with the figure and P-40......got started on that tooo

image_zps1250ee27.jpg

image_zpsf61415e9.jpg

image_zps72baeabc.jpg

Hope to get some paint on soon....happy modeling guys

rgds

mr b

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the encouragement Val much appreciated.........

Anyways ...moving along ....

image_zps7bf917b3.jpg

Just before masking

image_zps9fd729d5.jpg

Masked, primed and preshaded.....hope to start the camo soon.....

happy modeling folks and best regards

mr b

• Like 2

Nice to see someone being just as good on the interior finish as the exterior, very well made!

Also good to hear you like the kit since I'm looking for a P-40 to get. Looking forward to the finishing touches!

/Erik

Thanks a lot guys much appreciated.....need to complete it by weekends so it's all free time .....on the bench.....next week onwards I will be tied up....

Got some progress

image_zpsf6d8597f.jpg

image_zps3482b20a.jpg

image_zps01615e82.jpg

All flat coated and ready as the final composition just odds and ends now

Also started on the figure and accompanying pet ...primed up

image_zpsf6d8597f.jpg

thanks guys and happy modeling to one and all

rgds

mr b

• Like 1

Fabulous paint work! Nice to see that you are doing a figure with it as well, they always loog good against a finished model and lend a sense of scale.

Cheers

john

Just found this and..........wow, look at that cool work. I love your pant job and weathering inside and out on this bird. It looks very realistic to my eye. To bad, I don't have this kit any longer, but I still have couple off AM decals and funny enough, same Legend Pilot/leopard set ;) I wasn't sure what to do with it and from what I can remember your the first guy to use it with this kit. Totally cool my friend :)

Mike