Blackburn Shark Mk III - Frog

Encouraged by warm reception (Thanks for All !) of my Wallace, Wapiti and Wellingtons I would like to share with next old Frog/Novo kit - Blackburn Shark. I converted it to Mk III. This is No 546 RCAF, operated by Sq. 7, RCAF Station Prince Rupert BC Dec. 41 to 1943. It was use for anti submarine patrols.Conversion was also scratch ("free hand").

Best regards

Jerzy- Wojtek

shark Dsc01364mshark Dsc01365mshark Dsc01366mshark Dsc01367m

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 33

Thank you, Steve for support :)

The propeller was for sure from Vickers Wellesley, there are two in Matchbox kit. The cowling was deeply sanded and formed with body putty. I think that it was taken from Wallace converted to Wapiti - since Wapiti has no cowling at all. Engine is likely from Heller PZL P 23 Karas (once I did conversion for Bulgarian PZL P 43 - modification of Karas with 14 cyl. Gnome-Rhome engine, so I had spare Bristol engine), as a basis.With some additions. That is how I remember this. It was alredy a couple of years ago (but not so many of them!)... However it is also possible, that finally I made a resin copy of Italeri Hudson engine. I am not sure at the moment how it was at the end.

The canopy was glued from several parts, sanded with sand paper 600/1000/2000, then cover with gloss varnish and the frames are from decals cuted into narrow belts.

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 2

a correction to my last post - I apologize - it is likely, that cowling was "sculptured" from the second from Wellesley (I have't found it in my spare parts boxes) - but for sure it was not just taken as it is from any kit. Surely it was not from Wallace, it is completely other shape. However I was wrong with ideas about the engine - I do not know where it came from, now. I check that model I finished in October 2009, so not so many years ago, but I am sorry - simpy I do not remember it now :)

But now I will copy this from Airfix Swordfish

Regards

J-W

P.S. (Added in 20 August) - the 3D plans for Mk III were from Russian journal Modelsit Konstruktor. I have used also other plans as well, but they were for earlier versions.

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

Very nice, great to see the old Shark, and an interesting version as well. Looks good in the camouflage finish and with the underwing depth charges.

Nice work on the scratch building, good to see some 'old school' modelling.

• Like 1

On 24.08.2014 at 1:01 PM, Martian Hale said:

Nice one!

Martin

On 24.08.2014 at 8:38 PM, Viking said:

Nice to see these 'oldies' being built.

Got a Frog one in the stash somewher, might have to get it out now.

Cheers

John

John and Martin - I forgot to thank you for comments... Better later than never, I hope...

Anyway - this will give opportunity to see this model by some new collegues on forum ;)

I am glad to inform that I reconstructed photos (converting to Flickr) in all my threads from RFI!

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

Darby, many thanks.

7 minutes ago, Darby said:

what did you use for the canopy?

This is not a single piece canopy. If you remember my WIP threads (or just look at this - I reconstructed them recently from photobucket crisis) of DH 90 Dragonfly, Percival Gull or  in Potez 29 which I am building now. I did it in a similar way.. It means I glued this canopy from individual windows, here they were: three for windscreen, six for sides, three for rounded top and one from a spare box for gunner. So 13 pieces. This is a very delicate work. I  glued with CA glue. Now I am glueing with clear, it is strong enough for this purpose and gives more time for small corrections

Cheers

J-W

You've worked more of your magic on this veteran kit. The mere thought of assembling a canopy out of a dozen plus panes of clear plastic is enough to send me into hiding, gibbering with terror! Super job J-W!

I always wondered why the Swordfish was chosen to replace the Shark. They seem so close in performance that there is little to choose and the Pegasus powered Sharks certainly had none of the engine reliability issues of the earlier A-W powered versions. Swordfish must have been considerably cheaper to build, or much easier to maintain or vastly more pleasant to fly or something...

• Like 1

I am glad that this has been pulled from the past. That is a super conversion of a very old and somewhat clunky kit (as shown on the wings and struts). It is a pity that these old Frog kits are no longer available and rarely seen either - they were very good for their time and covered subjects which are still rather neglected.

P

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

You've worked more of your magic on this veteran kit. The mere thought of assembling a canopy out of a dozen plus panes of clear plastic is enough to send me into hiding, gibbering with terror! Super job J-W!

Many,many thanks!

8 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

I always wondered why the Swordfish was chosen to replace the Shark. They seem so close in performance that there is little to choose and the Pegasus powered Sharks certainly had none of the engine reliability issues of the earlier A-W powered versions. Swordfish must have been considerably cheaper to build, or much easier to maintain or vastly more pleasant to fly or something...

If it would be in other then UK country the most probably would be this "something" ;) - what not exactly could be a matter of any merrit...Just connections and money. Here must be some merrit matter, I belive.

4 hours ago, pheonix said:

It is a pity that these old Frog kits are no longer available and rarely seen either - they were very good for their time and covered subjects which are still rather neglected.

Many thanks for commet. Anyway- the Shark is still available mostly in east-European reboxes:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/178468-hasegawa-frog-js-041-blackburn-shark

Be carefull - there is a box named MkIII but inside is just Mk II...No canopy, two blade prop and Tiger cowling...

Interesting, that Hasegawa was involve here at the very begining!

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek