1:72 Airfix Scottish Aviation Bulldog

Hi Everyone,

Before I post this I should point out that this is my first model for around 10 years and although I'm quite proud of it, I wouldn't say it was up to the standard of the other models usually seen on here. So with that in mind, I'm quite nervous!

However, my interest in this hobby is to create a 'living museum' where the models I create are either part of a static exhibit or diorama or could be an actual flying aircraft, a bit like Duxford where the exhibits are half and half. In time, I will create and airfield scene to display these models on. Other models may be a reflection of my memories past from air shows I have gone to.

I have created through my imagination an aircraft restoration company called 'Heritage Aviation Museum' and their first ever restoration to flying condition is this Scottish Aviation Bulldog in RAF markings.

The model itself is an Airfix 1:72 scale model and is built straight forwardly from the box.

So, now it's placed on this piece of card to pose for some shots whilst my imagination takes a rest. Please excuse the bus depot in the background as this is another one of my hobbies, a fictional bus company using 1:72 diecast models that I've repainted.

I think it's time the airfield diorama began.

Thanks for looking and be nice, I'm only little (actually I'm 32 but hey ho, I said my imagination was good)

IMG_0867.JPG

IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

• Like 5

Welcome back to the fold! Your Bulldog is certainly nothing to be nervous about – she looks really spiffy in that livery!

And your idea about 'Heritage Aviation Museum' sounds interesting, to say the least. Looking forward to the continuation, now that the first stone has been laid.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks for your kind words Joachim.

It's the first time I've ever publicly shown any of my models and it's a real confidence boost. I have so many ideas but if I've learnt one thing from when I modelled before, it's not to rush.

Glad to be back in the game.

Thanks

Gary

Absolutely brilliant to see a Dog on this site, well done! Nice livery too.

I've got several of these salted away :-)

TonyS

( ex Ultimate High "Bulldog Doctor")

Nicely done! And that's a great idea for a theme. Many modelers, including me, spend forever trying to decide what to build next-- you are all set with ideas. I think 1/72 is the best scale if you are putting together a growing collection (some will argue with that ) ! I'd bet you will see your modeling skills grow as you build up the collection, and you'll have fun comparing your earlier productions with your later ones.... I'm not familiar with the Bulldog, but it's really a pretty little airplane -- especially in that color scheme!

Here's one thought for a cleaner line between colors: you could use masking tape at the line, pressing it down tight with a fingernail so paint can't sneak under neath, then you can brush right up and over the tape. Pull the tape off before the paint dries very hard, and you should get neat straight lines!

Another possible tip: your canopy looks a bit faded or cloudy. Dipping it in a small dish of Future Floor Polish, carefully draining it on a paper towel, and then letting it dry for a couple of days, will really make it clear.

Welcome back to the challenging, frustrating and rewarding world of aircraft modeling !!

• Like 1

Welcom back to a great hobby. You have done a nice job to start a fresh idea with, you've got to keep going now! The use of masking tape for demarcation is a must, i use Tamiya yellow tape from a local Hobbycraft shop. It is very easy to work with, it can be lifted and repossitioned many times and does not leave any residual marks. Well done, lets see some more, cheers Lindan.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your kind comments.

1:72 has always been my preferred choice in scale as it's just the right size to accumulate many models and still have room left over.

What i plan to do next is to build the airfield/museum diorama so that i have a suitable setting to photo each model (restoration) as they emerge through the hangar doors.

As for the masking tape, i agree it is a good idea. Never tried the smaller types like tamiya but it had produced relatively good results on my buses when i used B&Q stuff.

Practice makes perfect. Great hobby and immense fun.

Edited by GDumbrell

Very nice GDumbrell! That's a great model for a first try, certainly a lot better than my first example! I built one of these earlier in the year for a GB on this forum, but I built the Swedish example. You've done a fine job on her, however, the main landing gear look like they are sitting too low. But apart from that top stuff, look forward to seeing more! :)

You should put your buses up also in the vehicles section. I'm sure the lads and ladies woukd like to see them. :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Very nice GDumbrell! That's a great model for a first try, certainly a lot better than my first example! I built one of these earlier in the year for a GB on this forum, but I built the Swedish example. You've done a fine job on her, however, the main landing gear look like they are sitting too low. But apart from that top stuff, look forward to seeing more! :)

You should put your buses up also in the vehicles section. I'm sure the lads and ladies woukd like to see them. :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Well spotted Dazz!

Bulldog main gear shockstrut is a combo hydraulic fluid and Nitrogen unit mounted horizontally under the seats and connected to the top of the main gear on a cantilever arrangement. The hydraulic fluid provides the shock absorber effect by forcing the fluid through restricted orifices in a butterfly valve inSide the tube and the Nitrogen provides the spring effect giving "ride height". Inflated to 400psi normally it will allow the aircraft to sit pretty much level fore and aft when on the ground.

As the pressure goes down over time the main gear spreads and consequently the tail goes down.

In fact many Dogs in private ownership can be seen today with spread gear and sitting tail low because the main gear hasn't been correctly/recently serviced....as a guide for kit builders if the wheels are at the correct angle on the legs then they will be at 90 degrees to the ground if the legs are at the correct angle in relation to the fuselage and the fuselage will not sit too tail low.

(However Dogs always tend to sit slightly tail low on the ground because as you step out of the cockpit and exit via the rear of the wing root walkway your body weight behind the main wheels extends the nosegear slightly. This is accentuated on early Swedish Dogs as they have a step behind the wing thus increasing your weights moment. This attitude tends to remain like that till the engine is started for the next flight and pulls the nose down down into it's correct attitude compressing the nosegear.)

In this models case the main wheels are well off the vertical to the ground.

If anyone wants actual numbers I could look up the main gear track in the book and you could measure it to scale.....

Sorry, was that "too much information"?

TonyS

Edited by dhdove

Concerning the model's splayed u/c, if I might hazard a guess, there's probably quite a bit of lead in the nose for this puppy not to become a tail sitter (unless the modeller has skilfully Photoshopped away a tail support). I suppose that the extra weight would put some extra strain on the plastic gear legs.

@dhdove: Interesting details about the Bulldog main gear – thank you!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Hi all,

From what i gather then, the 'restoration' of this aircraft needs some attention on the landing gear. I saw a bulldog recently at east kirkby airshow and like tonys said, it became tail down after engine shut down. I'm still happy with it as a model.

Regarding the weight in the nose, this model will sit with its tail on the ground if no weight is put in. However, even filling the nose with the heaviest substance i had to hand ( blu tac ), it still sits on it's tail. To aid photography, no editing has been done. Instead, a miniscule amount of blu tac is under the nose wheel to stick it to the card base. Simple but it worked.

GDumbrell

It wasn't a criticism of your model, rather info on Bulldog undercarriage.

When you get your diorama built, best get it into the maintenance hangar for main gear shock strut servicing!

I don't think nose weight in the model is an issue. If the gear is correctly glued and set it should be strong enough to take a little weight in the nose. Note that the legs are not bent, just splayed.

As you may have gathered I'm a bit of a Bulldog enthusiast, I've worked on them for thirteen years now :-)

They are really well screwed together aeroplanes and a joy to fly and throw about the sky! (+6 -3.5G fully aerobatic)

In any event, thanks so much for your first post, I'm so pleased to see the Dog get some attention, it is a little known and much underrated aircraft.

V Best

TonyS

Edited by dhdove

Hi all,

Since a lot of pundits have noticed the undercarriage issues, the aircraft was hauled back into the workshop to attend to this matter before the initial test flights took place. Here are some pics of the model shortly before it's 'test flight'. All seemed to go well during the flight and the aircraft sits happily inside our hangar. (Imagination and fantasy is key to avoiding insanity!)

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

Like the model & the other modellers comments. Building one of these myself at the moment. Turns out my modelling mojo was hidden in the kit too.

Got to start small before I tackle 2 of my all time favourites. The B-17 and the Lockheed Constellation

• Like 1

That's how I remember seeing the Dog when I was in the ATC. Very fun aircraft to fly, was also the first aircraft I flew, so it woukd always have a place in my heart. :)

But I never knew about the shocks tho, things you learn eh?

Looking forward to more :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Hurray, problem solved. As for the constellation, that will take time. Got a lot of other projects to do first.

What will be next? Only i know the answer to that. Hehe