Eduard's 1/72 Revolution - any idea?

DominikS

Hi E'vryone

I decided to start this topic as the information on Eduard's IPMS USA poster made me very curious.

What doeas it mean? What comes to my mind is the short note in Eduard's Magazine that next year they are going to concentrate on 1/72 scale. I wonder what do they mean by that?

We have a few candidates:

1. Avia B.534 - a model mentioned together with 1/72 Hellcat, but afterwards no news since that moment (maybe because RS Models released theirs)

2. Focke Wulf 190 family

3. Messerschmitt 109E

4. Spitfire Mk.IX

5. MiG-21

Methinks it logical after their policy, for example Messerschmitt 110 or Hellcat.

Ev'rybody has one's wishlist, mine is to get Spitfire first (I wish they released her for Xmas) and then the rest.

Maybe someone talked to people from Eduard during IPMS USA Nationals and could share the info with other peole from this side of the Pond?

Cheers

Dominik

I kinda disagree with your assumptions. Eduard has been very good at identifying underserved but popular market segments and blowing them away. The hellcat came out when there was only an old hasegawa kit and the mediocre Italeri... the cybermodeller one appeared right as they were in production. The Mig-15 appeared after a panned airfix kit, with KP being the only other accurate option being readily available. BF-110 was similar: Older fujimi and italeri kits and a panned BF-110. So they watch the market carefully: they really try to avoid going up against an very good kit when possible. I suspect they don't like going up against Japanese kits as well, because many of them have very good exteriors at decent prices, and they sell aftermarket to serve them.

Given that, I really don't think an Spitfire IX is likely at all: AZ has saturated that market with their Joypacks, and the high end has been served by CMR and to a lesser extent Sword (for some versions). I'm sure that Eduard can make a "better" one than the AZ and generate some sales, but it probably won't be that much better than Sword or CMR, and most people will likely just go for the "nearly as good" AZ joy pack.... where you get three for the same price. Sure Eduard have the research done, but the initial tooling and production costs are significant, and there there are many other, more profitable opportunities to be had.

So what are the other options? FW-190 is a good possibility. None of the other Czech or Japanese manufacturers have released one recently. BF-109E is as well, but AZ is chomping through those versions and I can see another Joypack as being likely. Mig-21 is a definite possibility as well.

These are some that I think are possible:

F-86 - similar to the Mig-15 -> not so good airfix, fujimi is the other other "good" version

Me-262 - Academy is pretty good, but not great... everything else isn't very good at all. Also has the possibility of the Avia version.

P-38 - RS has released them... pretty good, but its a limited run kit.

Tempest - A pretty good but simple Academy kit... not much else.

F6F Wildcat - A few Czech limited runs and some older Asian kits, but little else.

Finally, Soviet aircraft in general haven't been well served. La-5, LaGGs, ect. Pe-2 is one I can see happening. However there does not seem to be the same market interest as Luftwaffe, RAF or USAAF stuff.

I'm sure others can come up with more.

Edited by -Neu-

Add to the list

Dauntless - Hasegawa (if you can find them) good for their time, but a newer series needed especially with perforated dive brakes.

P-36/-40 series - Nobody offers the whole series: yes there are significant differences during the development, but if Eduard can cope with the Bf110 this ought to be possible.

Add to the list

Dauntless - Hasegawa (if you can find them) good for their time, but a newer series needed especially with perforated dive brakes.

P-36/-40 series - Nobody offers the whole series: yes there are significant differences during the development, but if Eduard can cope with the Bf110 this ought to be possible.

I was thinking about the dauntless! that's another one that's screaming for a new kit. Another kit is the T-6/Harvard series. Plenty of options there.

@-Neu-

I don't think AZ's Spitfires saturated the market, as you can never have too many Spitfires. Their Joy Pack was a hit but, in my opinion, if Eduard release Spitfire they'll sell lots of them. What I've noticed modellers are divided into three main groups:

1. Spitfire maniacs B)

2. Mustang maniacs

3. German 109s and 190s maniacs :pilot:

Models of those planes, decent models, are always good investment.

But I do agree that there are lots of planes that need decent kits - mentioned P-36, F4F or (one of my favourites) D.520 or MS 405/406/410.

Vladimir Sulc mentioned during the chat connected to Bf 109G release that they are going to release Spitfire, and earlier he had mentioned also releasing Focke Wulf. So, I think, they'll do it. In case of Spitfire very soon, I hope.

But what we can do now is only to wait and see (and keep fingers crossed).

Cheers!

Edited by DominikS

V.Sulc already announced Mk.IX / Fw 190 Late family / MiG-21 later, B-534 has also been mentioned but if I am not wrong not confirmed.

Revolution also means we will se Royal Class and Czech Limited editions of Mk.IX as in 1/48 scale.

A reduced scale of their fw190 series would be hilarious, after the problems people have building them in 48th. After all they do just tend to reduce the size of parts on their kits. I would love to see an up to date b26. Or even a new tool b24

A reduced scale of their fw190 series would be hilarious, after the problems people have building them in 48th. After all they do just tend to reduce the size of parts on their kits. I would love to see an up to date b26. Or even a new tool b24

Are you seriously expecting Eduard (what this thread is about) to produce a new series of B-24's?

Yes, they did issue some B-24's away back, but these were ex Academy.

Edited by Denford

- Avia B.534

- Focke Wulf 190A family

- Messerschmitt 109G

- Spitfire Mk.IX

- MiG-21 2nd & 3rd generation

- Me-262 (but the 1/48 will be released first)

Kits from the list above was mentioned By Vladimir Sulc several times on Czech discussion forum (the sequence does not reflect the release roadmap).

My personal guess is that this roadmap is approx till 2017.

As far as I remember, the "revolution" is more about release schema and products configuration. E.g. weekends will consists of 2 camouflage schemes, there will be "supefabric" seat belts as well. Moreover, existing molds will be released in a limited edition, may be any specials (my wish is L-39V). No 3rd party rebox is considered now (1/72)

If I remember well, Eduard ambition is to release a 1/72 kit each month....:-)

Note: in 1/48, Eduard will rebox Trumps Mig-23 and Hasegawa A-4M

Edited by Petr

Proposed 1:72 releases…..

Yawn….Yawn…..Yawn….Yawn…..Yawn……Yawn….Yawn…….Yawn

(with the possible exception of the MiG 19 and 21)

How many more ME Bf-109s, Fw 190s, Spitfires can we (should we) endure ?……..PLEASE come up with something more ORIGINAL !! :angrysoapbox.sml:

……Blackburn Buccaneer, Mirage 2000C, Saab Viggen, F-101A/C or RF-101 Voodoo, Scimitar, F-5E Tiger II, Gloster Javelin, HAL Marut

Beaufighter, Beaufort, Ki-84, P-40E/M, Baltimore etc etc etc

• Like 2

Are you seriously expecting Eduard (what this thread is about) to produce a new series of B-24's?

Yes, they did issue some B-24's away back, but these were ex Academy.

Its a 1/72 revolution according to them the academy kit was minicraft and let's face it that's probably the best of a distinctly mediocre bunch. I hope someone produces a new b24 and a decent halifax . after all there are plenty of quality lancs and b17s out there. may as well be Eduard as anyone else.

Its a 1/72 revolution according to them the academy kit was minicraft and let's face it that's probably the best of a distinctly mediocre bunch. I hope someone produces a new b24 and a decent halifax . after all there are plenty of quality lancs and b17s out there. may as well be Eduard as anyone else.

What's wrong with the Hasegawa B-24?

Somehow revolution sounds a bit dangerous IMO (like their 1/48 Me 109 G proved), they should try to be a bit more humble with their announcements, if possible lol ...

Mr. Schulz certainly likes to take his mouth full.

Oh yeah, I can just see the stampede for that one... :rolleyes:

I wondered how long it would take someone to notice my 'wild card'…….Yes, its of very limited appeal, I grant you, but it is a lovely looking airplane and its had combat experience…..more than can be said about the Supermarine Swift (not that I have anything against the Swift….another very nice looking aircraft)

Proposed 1:72 releases…..

How many more ME Bf-109s, Fw 190s, Spitfires can we (should we) endure ?……..PLEASE come up with something more ORIGINAL !! :angrysoapbox.sml:

Unfortunately thats what sells.

Heller did a nice little 1/72 Mirage 2000, wonder if they will re-issue it?

Mirage05.jpg