Heller Mirage IV P 1/48 - Finished

Thats the Mirage IV...............

Aside from our beloved Air arms, Ive long had a deep seated affection for French Military aviation, and whilst that interest is more than represented in my stash, its never come through to my builds............time to change that and build one of my all time favourites, Dassaults Mirage IV.

By todays standards, the kit is pretty basic, raised panel lines being the biggest down side. I'll be adding Neomegas cockpit, weapons from my FAF Jaguar A and would realy love to model a recce version, but as no one makes the CT52 pod in this scale, she will carry the ASMP missile under the fuselage.

The starting point wasn't to good......................

021.jpg

both front fuselage sections are badly warped, but when its secured, it sems to look ok!

A complete re-scribe, luckily mostly straight panel lines

025.jpg

024.jpg

Edited by Gary West
  • Like 5

Excellent 'off the beaten track' choice. What's the overall length of the model? It's quite a hefty delta isn't it? I shall keep an eye on this one.

What's the overall length of the model? It's quite a hefty delta isn't it? I shall keep an eye on this one.

The kit is 48cm in length and 24cm in width - I'll struggle to fit her into the display case lets put it that way :weep:

Edited by Gary West

I suddenly realised (after having read the instruction sheet :popcorn: ) that the nose wheel bay needs to be fitted at the same time as the cockpit......it was just a empty rectangle. Made a nice early start today and Ive added some cabling - Im sure this looks nothing like the real thing but its better than empty!

100_1540.jpg

Gave it a quick blow over with Flat Alumnium

100_1555.jpg

will add a wash later and pick out some colour in there somewhere - not my comfort zone this!

Typically Mirage control surfaces are "off centre" so I've removed them and started to make good the mssile shaped hole in the centre of the fuselage

100_1541.jpg

The Mirage IV sits quite high from the ground and not being heavily laden with weapons underneath, I want to open up the main u/c doors so there's a bit more going on..........

MirIVP205320BZ202003.jpg

So out with the drill.............

100_1546.jpg

Are the French Armee De L'air camouflage colours the same as the RAF dark green and grey scheme?

The instructions call out for Matt Sea Gray & Matt Army Green - Im going RAF Green, Grey which were pretty Nato standard across the Dutch, Italians, French etc.

We have some wheel wells and they've had a quick blow over in flat aluminium - will get some additional detail in there later

100_1554.jpg

If I'm lucky, I'l be able to save the doors after some cleaning up..........

Nice start on this !

I've built the same kit years ago and the fit was... interesting ! Still, the finished model is well worth the work, it's a very elegant aircraft.

Speaking of paints, they are not exactly the same as the RAF ones, but in scale it would be hard to tell the difference. I'd use a bluer grey than DSG though. The green too is a bit different, greyer than RAF dark grey. Again, with the usual pre/post-shading, washes and so on, it would be hard to tell the difference..

Just don't use RAF colours for the Italian or Dutch aircrafts ! Both used their own colours on most cold war subjects

• 8 months later...

Holy topic ressurection!

Just finished a couple of jets for the French Fancy GB and still very much in a French mood, so I decided to get this one finished. Pulled it out at the weekend and hated the previous re-scribing so I basically filled all those lines in, and re-scribed once again, hopefully this time using much more refined!

Almost at the paint stage finally.........

100_2272.jpg

100_2271.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice, Gary. I've got a bunch of aftermarket for mine, so I'll be watching this. Too bad that CT52 isn't currently available. I figured L'Arsensal would make it as they do the BOZ 103 chaff dispenser and BARAX ECM pod. I see that you are using the latter in your build. Still, there is a bunch of aftermarket available to help the kit out.

Cheers,

Tom

Nice to see another one being built. I rescribed mine, scratch built the cockpit, oh and of course, fitted Speys and stretched the forward section a scale 2 feet, to make the Mirage IVS, that was offered to the RAF after the TSR2 cancellation.

• Like 1

Very nice, Gary. I've got a bunch of aftermarket for mine, so I'll be watching this. Too bad that CT52 isn't currently available. I figured L'Arsensal would make it as they do the BOZ 103 chaff dispenser and BARAX ECM pod. I see that you are using the latter in your build. Still, there is a bunch of aftermarket available to help the kit out.

Cheers,

Tom

Yes Tom agree re the CT52, seems they dont scale up! The Boz need to be cut about because the FAF model is somewhat different from the Tornado force, but its a good starting point and yes had a Barax floating around doing nothing thankfully :-)

Thanks Rom....

Because of the kits origins and age, its a little sparse in many places, so just a little couple of bits to lift the large fuel tanks around the weld seams......

100_2276.jpg

100_2278.jpg

100_2280.jpg

Will stand out niceley when pre-shaded too

Edited by Gary West
  • Like 1