Old Airfix Vb 1/48 Trop

After realising that I participated in over 200 posts I have yet to present a model for inspection. I have a Hasegawa Hurricane and Airfix BF109f on the bench. I finally completed my FW 190-A3. So this is my actually my second completed model. it is also my first attempt at some sort of base. I started the model just over two weeks ago and was in a rush to finish it last night (13/8/14) )so that I could present it as a gift to a young Chinese lad that I have been helping prepare for his IELTS test. A few weeks ago we were practising the "listening exercises" and all I think of

at the time was to briefly narrate the story of Douglas Bader. Shock and horror- he had no idea what a Spitfire was. This needed to be corrected and once, so I thought that would build him a model as a keepsake. The results are below. There are number of things I'm really unhappy about in the build namely the canopy , being unable to get any type of dihedral on the wings and a few obvious the mishaps that started occurring as the clock neared midnight last night and I was extremely tired. As always I welcome comments criticisms suggestions and a general whack on the head with appropriate words "Proby" - ( Jethro Gibbs NCIS)

Appologies for the duplication: I posted this in Work in Progress with some terrible grammar : Note to self - Don't use dictation Software when tired"

SpitTropVb_1.jpgSpitTropVb_2.jpgSpitTropVb_3.jpgSpitTropVb_4.jpgSpitTropVb_5.jpg

• Like 6

Thank you all. I was worried when no one was commenting. I thought I had done a really bad job. As always you know where your mistakes are and where you where fighting the kit, I used the door from the Va that had a chemical encounter and was scraped as well as the canopy to have the cockpit open. I had to use Eduard decals as the kit decals (although not yellow) were faded and brittle. At lest now I can say I am a modeller :)

That Spitfire looks really nice, and created for such a worthy purpose, to inform a Spitfire ignorant! And the crowbar isn't red, which reveals an esoteric knowledge of the subject. ;-)

I can see what you mean about the dihedral, though I assume that your Chinese friend won't mind one little bit. Also from the last, head-on photo, the main landing gear legs look rather too splayed, more like a Bf 109 than a Spit. Again, all the same to a Far East lad!

The finish appears excellent, though perhaps the exhaust and gunsmoke smudges look a wee bit over-emphasised.

All in all, goes to show that the old Airfix kit still has plenty of life in it in competent hands. And that 'simple' base works wonders for the overall effect!

Your second kit, ever? Very well done indeed!

Kind regards,

Joachim

thing to remember with BM is that you get a lot more views than you get comments, your view count it very respectable and gives a better idea of how much interest your post is getting.

with so many models posted each day, most people tend to save their comments for their "favorite subjects", i know i do. but i do look at most of the posts and they all have something to inspire me.

i wouldn't dare post my second ever model on here :blush: yours it great.

Tell you what cocker,you might have taken part in 200 posts,but you've certainly

learned a lot from cruising around the site and chatting about Spits.

Well done old lad,well done.

I take it that young Chinese fellow was suitably impressed.

Really nice Spit mate. Came up better than my attempt with the Airfix kit. Nice staining on the wings.

Just a thought about the base, have you glued sand onto it ? If so, try a very light dry brush of a cream type colour over it. I did this when doing Wargaming Figures and it pulls the base right up.