Nigel Builds Two Bases

My fuel tanker had a little mishap at the recent Dundee model show so I had some repair work to do. The most involved was to fabricate a new door mirror to replace the one that snapped off and was never seen again:

P1070564_zpscc536ad7.jpg

Here it is all finished:

P1070567_zps81ba7a0b.jpg

I glued down the hose with some Gator glue and added the hose between the tanker and pump unit:

P1070566_zps812147dd.jpg

With that I think I can call this whole project finished:

P1070565_zpsf08ddff6.jpg

I know some figures would set it off but I'm still thinking about those.

Here is the RFI.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 2

Looks great Nige! :clap2:

As for the figures, I think you need to find something in hard plastic that you can really work with - Preiser would be ideal, but they are a swine to get hold of.

Soft vinyl figures are a pain to work with and the results aren't always that great, I'm not saying it can't be done (see Mottlemaster's excellent C-47: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234962362-airfix-c-47-from-upottery-over-dropzone/ ), but your figures will be rather more open to scrutiny on the base.

• Like 1

Nigel - this model/vignette is yet more inspiration to emulate your project!

I've learned some new techniques and a few new wrinkles on known ones. I'm making your WIP thread and this a PDF doc I can consult at home.

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 1

Nigel- excellent work, but then I am never disappointed by your masterful work. As to figures, I don't know if you've checked out Preiser, but they do have several sets of ground crews in 1/72nd scale, USAF WW2 and Luftwaffe, both painted and unpainted. Since I'm across the pond, I'm not sure who th UK stocking are but model train shops can usually get them or you might try Hattons. Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I am going to enter my Flying Banana diorama into the Scottish National Model Show this weekend but the wet and dry sand paper squares used to represent the concrete slabs have started to curl and lift at the edges. Clearly 3M Photo Mount is not the best adhesive for this sort of job even though it was quick and convenient. For the repair I decided that contact adhesive was the best solution, fortunately I had some in my Modelling Materials Storage Facility. The worst offending square was removed completely and the adhesive applied to the surrounding, lifting edges as well as both surfaces of the removed square:

P1100132_zpsramkeely.jpg

Here is the finished result which has pretty much sorted out the issue:

P1100134_zpsmlxbcanb.jpg

I even managed to not get any of the glue on the visible surfaces.

Result!

Bye,

Nigel

• Like 2