P-51D + F-51D, Sweet Arlene and Korean war bird, both FINISHED

Wolwe82

Thanks :D The Sweet Arlene is now finished. Only the exhausts are placeholders..

I weathered the hasegawa exhausts and cut them to make them fit the airfix kit, with the angling towards ground keeping in mind. When i was done, i noticed one got few scratches, revealing the glossy underlayer. So i just took matt varnish in can, sprayed it over and wanted to force dry it with hairdryer, as i did with every layer before.. Well, this time the matt varnish literaly ate the paint under it.... So it got destroyed, i had to switch the left to right side and vice versa, which ofcourse destroyed the prepared angling, so i had to take white glue to fix them in right angle, but that does not look right. So i ll get quickboosts, but i dont want to sit here two or three weeks before i get them delivered to me..

here is the damn varnish disatser - on top is correctone, on bottom is the one destroyed by varnish and heat..

014.jpg

And few shots of completed Sweet Arlene. Its just few quick shots, i ll take better tomorrow when there ll be more light

020.jpg

015.jpg

And wheel wells details - i did add the lever to the doors yet.

017.jpg

018.jpg

Hope you like her, more better images tomorrow i hope :)

• Like 1

Hi Wolwe. Sorry you had the problem with the exhaust - what have I said to you before about rushing!!

Arlene is looking lovely. Can I ask what you used for the fluid leak underneath? It looks very effective.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, ye, well, i had in mind the exhausts are ment to be just placeholders, so you know, i did not paid too much attention to it.. :(

The fluid leak is original Ammo from Mig Jimmenez - fresh engine oil (engine, fuel and oil) - its realy nice stuff, i m going to get more Ammo stuff in the future (http://www.migjimenez.com/en/ here is his e-shop), they are even making washes for nations (RAF, US Navy planes and so on), very nice ,

• Like 1

Thanks Danny :) I m actualy thinking if i should make the korean war F-51D more dirty or just keep it clear.. on the photo of this F-51 (the only photo i have) it looks pretty well maintained. But there are a lot of photos of korean war F-51D which are dirty. So the question is, how will the oil paints weathering work on aluminium base..

But i have already in mind another F-51D :) i did never ever seen the domenican republic F-51D.. it is in the airfix boxing but i did not seen single one built.. So i m going to make one next time :) White underside, brown/green top side, not so common on mustangs :)

Thanks Giorgio, well Agama paints are made in my country (Czech Republic), so it is easy to get here. They also have e-shop, (http://obchod.agama-model.cz/), its the "alcohol based colours". I like how they have series of paints specialy made for nations. I m using original thinner for it as well, and i m going like 50/50 or 40/60 (60 for thinner) with low pressure like any other acrylic paints. The paints are covering realy great, you need just few passes to get nice surface.

Guys i have question for you, hope someone ll read it soon and leave response :) i would like to try and achieve this kind of look, like this mustang has on the fuselage under cockpit

142511661wzvidq_fs.jpg

i did give a try going with oil paints, this is what i could achieve. So far it is only one panel for a test, i would do protective layer of future over it, followed by dirty coloured wash to the panel lines + leaving some dirt around details, like the positive rivets, screws, and so on and finished it with matt coat and some oil leaks over it. do you think this is good enough as base for all this?

050.jpg

guys now seriously i want all honest answer, i dont mind if you say it sucks, if you realy think so, i want to do this F-51 else dirty, or if i cannt achieve it on the aluminium finish, i would rather leave it clean. so the question is, does this look good enough ? thanks a lot for responses, keep in mind its still glossy a bit, so imagine it as matt faded :)

edit: its done by oil paints as i said, so its easy to remove still with white spirit, the oil paints are live for few days

Edited by Wolwe82

I think it looks "in the ballpark", but perhaps a little too coarse a pattern- I'd rather see "clouds" than brush strokes, which is how it appears to me now. Perhaps a bit of smudging with a rag after you've laid it down or something? Keep in mind that less is more, unless you're really wanting to emphasize the more!

bob

p.s. I should point out that I have no experience achieving a convincing looking weathering- my models traditionally look as if they've just rolled out of the restoration shop. But that doesn't mean I don't have an opinion!

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

Thanks bob :) there are no brush strokes, or well, no way as i m using brush but by "tapping" or how to say it, not doing the usual brush moves. The few lines there i thought to do something like scratch (from sand or little rocks on the arfield, flying by the wing as the propeller takes on the dust and stuff). But i did clear it for now and ll try again, as you say, more subtle.

I have another problem.. anyone has images of WINGS of heavily weathered mustangs? I can find loads of photos of korean mustangs, but everything is all about fuselage.. the wings are else in shadow or in such an angle, which does not allow to see anything.. i doubt the wings ll be weathered the same way all along, same as the fuselage is not.. :(

i decided to not go that much heavy way, but instead after watching tens and tens of photos i noticed there are panels and areas which tends to be more dirty on most of the F-51 i saw, so i tried to do something like that. Also on the FF-943 photo i have, i saw some weird dark bloob on the nose - i found better photo and it shows it better, the FF-943 had some kind of tube going out of the cowling between exhaust and wing roots. The same tube you can see on the dirty F-51 i did show few posts ago. So i did add short needle to represent that.

This is where i m now. One side is done, i need break now, its realy exhausting, i had to clean the panels many times before i was at least half happy with the result. Once this is done on both sides and bottom, i ll give it coat of matt varnish and add some oil and exhaust stains and dirt/dust

051.jpg

• Like 4

Well they both look good to me - but remember I'm one who tries to avoid weathering too much!! To me it looks right because you've got some areas that look dirtier than others - I could imagine some parts of the aircraft have more happening to them and show up more worn. You seem to have the ability to get a wide variety of effects which work together to make the whole. Keep it up!

• Like 1

Looks really good, I think it's pretty much spot on.

In the picture of the real thing the panels directly under the cockpit seem to be a little heavier in the weathering but I think with scale effect you've got it close enough here and the effect is just right.

Rich

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Rich, the photo of real thing was just example:) in the end i decided to not go that hard with the weathering, because i could not find any image showing such a heavily weathered plane, where you could see wings too. So i was not sure how to make the wings, to fit so hard weathered fuselage, so i rather went less crazy with it :D

Thanks Jorgen :)

I m still not sure guys, if i should not make the wings a bit more dirty. My idea was to make the wings more dirty where the crew would walk over and leave the edges quite clean. Not sure if i should not make the edges slightly more dirty too, not that much as the wing roots, but some little mess here and there? But i m not sure realy...