pre shading

I suspect this is an emotive subject, but I have been pondering for some time about whether to attempt it or not. I would be interested to here pro's & cons by the members to help a new guy like myself . Thanks in advance

I'm probably in a similar position to you, in that it's not something I've ever tried (mainly because my build rate is so glacially slow). I'm tempted to give it a go one day too, although I'm not entirely convinced of it's effectiveness. It's not how real aircraft are painted after all. I think it's one of those things where moderation is probably the key to success, as well as combining it with other techniques. I think as modellers we all too often get caught up in the latest trend or fad, just because it looks 'nice', but sometimes the end result can become rather detached from reality. Ultimately, try it and see. It's your model.

Andrew

I just pre shaded twice:

1. Actually I forgot on which model. I used black for the preshading but the top coat covered so well I cannot tell which model it was :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

2. A model of a NMF air racer Mustang. But preshading means here not those panel line thing but that I painted all panels in different grey colours and then sprayed Alclad Chome over this. This resulted in what does look like polished aluminum to me.

But I really want to try it again on my Tempest build the coming weeks.

Rene

• Like 2

I'm trying it for the first time on my B&V 141.

My scheme is all over RLM02 so I thought I'd try the technique to add "interest' to the simple scheme.

So far I think if i refine it a lot it could add another dimension to my builds.

Not sure about the "authenticity" it adds.

Interest and a "dimension" to the finished build yes......but do planes look like that in real life? ....I'm not so sure.

But I'm no purist ....so.... I will be trying it again to see how it goes......which I pretty much think this modelling caper is all about!

My advice for what it's worth is ...give it a crack.....and you be the judge as to whether you like it or not on your kits.

Most of all.... have fun.

Cheers

Bruce

Ditto Caerbannog - but it was a Matchbox Canberra.

I feel that if it is subtle enough few will notice it, if that matters, and if many people notice it it's excessive. But by all means give it a go if you want to. It's your model.

The most atrociously unrealistic examples to me are not so often the pre-shaders but those post-shaders who overdo things excessively - Phil posted as I was typing that!

Hi, I preshade, I quite like the effect of breaking up colours a bit. To be honest with you, it's something that needs to be subtle effect and some people don't like it, each to their own. All I do is follow the panel lines around with black paint (normally), and then go over in the top colour. I use fairly thin coats over the top, and cover until they just disappear. When the top paint dries, the preshading shows through slightly. I try to keep it subtle, but the good thing is, if you don't like it, you can just cover it over until it disappears. Hope that helps a bit :)

Val

I've tried it because I like the look in other peoples' models. Using colours other then black can be quite good - e.g. black for some lines, and brown for others, that kind of thing. I don't think it's supremely realistic (model of a model!) but it is pretty.

The trick is definitely to apply the top coat slowly and stop before you think it's ready. Otherwise it's all too easy to cover up the pre-shade entirely.

I think this was my best effort, still not totally got the hang of it...

14393974166_ef512e9158_c.jpg

I also think you really need to combine it with a panel line wash and some other weathering, so that the pre-shading sort of fades into the background behind the more contrasty bits of paintwork. E.g. this looks awful, right?

14565946047_5a65b5c4ac_c.jpg

but when it's not the main element it fades into the background and adds a little depth to the end result.

14779031776_32a989d82f_c.jpg

At least that's what I hope it does. Sorry these aren't A/C pictures!

Another option which is similar-but-different is to use a darker primer and spray the top coat in patchy clouds over that. Then you get a sort of mottled faded look without the dark bits going along panel lines, which might be more realistic?

10431361676_d0703d5f01_c.jpg

My 2p: Try it, you might like it. If you don't, stop doing it :)

Will

• Like 3

As everyone else has said it is best to experiment (preferably on a scrap model). I am personally not a fan of pre-shading and prefer post-shading. But to be honest this is really about what works best for you. As with all techniques you can apply as many or as few as you feel happy with.

I'm trying to get to grips with Pre-shading, but have fallen into the trap of too much top coat so far.

I do think it lends a sense of "scale" to the model but I don't really think real aeroplanes look like that?

I guess it's a bit like the scale colour question, which whilst I understand the concept and theory I haven't attempted yet......so real colours look different on a scale model, but when painted "the wrong colours " it looks realistic.

I suppose that's the joy of this hobby, you're always learning.

I feel my models can be criticised in as much as they only ever look like the day they came out of the spray hangar.

Pre-shading, post shading and weathering give a sense of time passing and use in service and life in the field. But there are vast differences between WW1 biplanes operating from grass fields and US Navy Cold War jets kept as clean as possible due to potential salt corrosion. I don't have any "scrap" kits to practise on so every new build is an adventure!

For me, enjoy the experience of the build, try some new techniques and if you like them, great! If not try something else next time :-)

I model for fun, for myself. I love to post here and love to receive advice and try out suggestions from more experienced members, but.........I'm not looking to win competitions.

Best

TonyS

Edited by dhdove
  • Like 1

I'm with Will, pre-shading on it's own can be a little stark, therefore I like to use a combination pre and post shading, along with panel line washes and filter coats.

This helps build a balanced effect that replicates the effects of multiple types of weathering that an airframe is subjected to, as per the PIC below.

IMG_20140806_220137.jpg

Karl

• Like 3