Oman Jaguar

Hi Omer:

Its not the same kit you have built as Omani, isn't it???

I wishwed to build a Matchbox Omani two seater, but the kit hasn't the transparent canopy part,:( so i have mated an Old Heller front end to make something with this incomplete kit, and have bought another one, a cheaper Italeri rendition that was on sale to have one to make the same version you are doing now with this one, but before, I wish to do a french machine.

Cheers,

Hello Luis,

No this is my first Omani Jaguar build. Actually this particular kit was completed in British Desert colors, but I didn't I wasn't pleased with the results, so I removed all the paint, and rebuild it in this way:-)

I strongly recommend you to work with a Hasegawa Double seat trainer, or Italeri is also good, but Matchbox and Heller kits are very out to date, don't waste time with them.

Best

Omer ERKMEN

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Wonderful build and wonderful pics, really amazing!!!

BTW, The Hasegawa kits are very scarce here, so I'll do the desert version with the Italeri and also found an Airfix Old britis version and the Heller rendition of Airfix kit but peculiar to French version, really I understand that a lot of work is waiting for me but really hope enjoy it....and also, my Old Heller/Matchbox mix, just for not send the incomplete kit to the spares part box as I have a soft spot for the Matchbox/Airfix/Heller/Revell/Frog antiques......maybe because those were the models that were the standard when I began modeling....those were the days sez the song....

Cheers Omer and go for finishing the Desert one!!!!

• Like 1

Very beautiful Jaguar Omer - wonderfully crisp and clean finish. I'm a bit biased - but it's a lovely looking jet when not cluttered by stores - and it's nice to see one without the pylons (although IIRC the pylons did help the handling). you've really done the old girl justice.

steve

• Like 1

I echo your thoughts on the Omani Jaguars coming to the end of their service lives. Indeed they do not appear to be in service very long, BUT, when I was in Oman contracting for Airwork from 1979 to 1985, the Jaguars were not new then !

I had the privilege of seeing plenty of exercises / wargames in action & I don't need to tell Jaguar fans, those planes fly really LOW !

One thing niggles the memory though, maybe someone can help me out ? As I vaguely remember, the background of the then Sultan of Oman's Airforce fin flash changed from red to dark blue in the early '80's. Since I was @ Salalah @ this time working on the AB 205's & Bell 214 B's, I have no photographic images to refer to.

Before I forget, the model is superb, maybe a little more upper surface paint fading wouldn't be over done. The dust @ Thumrait & the fearsome effects of the sun there were something else to experience !

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Im somewhat late to this one but glad I found it - Its lovely and so simple too, just a Jag in very nice colours.

Well done!

Talking of colours, what paints did you use for the camouflage? Im considering an Omani scheme for one of mine and your colours look spot on to me.

• Like 1

Hello RMP,

Thank you very much for your kind remarks. :-)

Colors of Omani Air Force are mostly based on British standards. Light Stone and Dark Earth are the correct colors for your Omani Jaguar.

Dark Earth alternatives are available almost in every manufacturer but it is difficult to find a Light Stone. I based on Revell 103 sand color. 50% - 40% and 30% addition of white and a touch of yellow to Revell sand gave me closest shades of that particular color. As for the Dark Earth equal parts of Testors and Humbrol with 50% of light stone to that mixture was the closest match to my eyes.

I tried to create different shades of each color while painting.

Please test your mixtures like me on a different surface before using it on your model. Especially try each both colors side by side to see if they match with each other...

Best

Omer ERKMEN

DSCN5429_zps6jggiblg.jpg

20140727_120026_zpsyfhvvxeu.jpg

• Like 1

Smashing, thank you for that.

I had guessed at the Dark Earth with some white added, it was the lighter sand/light stone sort of colour I was more unsure of, thanks very much for confirming what you used.

Yes, I will play about with tests of colours, the standard "out of the pot" shades would be too bold Im sure.

Thanks for the photos too - which make me ask another question - the dotted No Step areas on the intake and rear wing - I didnt think they were on the Omani Jags? Hard to say for certain from the photos Ive seen as most are looking up at them or too far away to see. I have searched and searched, but finding good, high quality close up photos of all of the Omani Jags seem to elude me.

Regardless - thats a lovely paint job youve done there, fancy painting mine for me? ;)

Dear RMP,

You are right about lack of proper detailed photos of Omani Jaguars. But I searched a while about them over the years, finally reached some evidence photos that original British stencils are exist on Omani versions too.

Here is two photos of Peter Foster, they are showing us all dotted no step area markings and full NO STEP stenciling are also exist on these desert cats too:-)

I am also sure you will reach great results on painting:-)

23_zpsa0zovqco.jpg

If4DBq1_zpst37sphjk.jpg

• Like 2

Brilliant stuff, youve even got the colours of the inside of the intakes covered there!

Thanks very much indeed! Youve sorted me right out very quickly and easily. :goodjob:

Edit - I see theres an aerial missing on the heat exchanger thingy behind the canopy too, never noticed that before. :)

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

Also worth a note is the touch up paint on the spine directly behind the cockpit canopy on the second photo. Almost has a touch of green to it, same as the starboard tail stabilizer rear edge darker section, bit like the Humbrol 142 colour thats sometimes mentioned re Omani Jag colours.

Such fun from paint - who would have thunk it? I still reckon a lot of it is down to a combination of fade, 1970s/80s 35mm film quality and light conditions or a combination of some/all.

Thanks yet again, so much from just a couple of photos. Im off to search for more from that photographer on his website as well as Airliners.net etc.