Scratchbuilt 1:35 Avro Vulcan Cockpit

Good evening, first proper build post from me on the forums!

Well it all started after a trip to the Midland Air Museum in Coventry where I got the fantastic chance to get inside an Avro Vulcan and see what it was like inside, and by god what an aircraft! I wish I had taken a lot more photographs but thanks to a thread that I found on the forums prior to joining, I found a nice walkaround inside of the cockpit. This was then followed by an enquiry to the Vulcan To The Sky Trust and after they gave me a few pages of the crew manual showing the details of both the front and rear cockpit, they also suggested getting a book which included the manual and infinitely more in-depth images. (The Vulcan Story 1952-2002 by Tim Laming)

And so it began, all made of plasticard with the seat cushions made of milliput. Obviously there is still A LOT of work to do I think it is coming along nicely and the 3 panels shown at the end were made today with clear plastic used to serve as the ground scanning radar screen and a few dials.

Thanks for that, cue the images!

Sam

IMG_0629_zpsfc7d7108.jpg

IMG_0634_zps7cdcf192.jpg

IMG_0636_zpsd4ce6c0e.jpg

IMG_0663_zpsc4ea6374.jpg

IMG_0664_zps0accadf4.jpg

IMG_0665_zps23d47bc3.jpg

IMG_0669_zpsc086266c.jpg

And so after an hour of fannying around with Google+, Flickr and now Photobucket, the photos now work! :P

• Like 10

Hi Sam

The great thing about the scale you have chosen it that it's big enough to see to paint it, keep up the good work.

Not sure where you are but brooklands racing circuit used to have a complete Vulcan cockpit on display which you were allowed to climb up into and sit in, as close as us mortals get to the rear thing !

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great comments guys! Today I am hoping to finish at least the lower half of the rear cockpit panels and add a few more details to the seats, everything is being repainted soon anyway because as you can see the remanants of the green changed in tone somewhat from start to finish!

Not sure where you are but brooklands racing circuit used to have a complete Vulcan cockpit on display which you were allowed to climb up into and sit in, as close as us mortals get to the rear thing !

I have heard about that one but as said at the top of the original post, the one at Coventry is a complete aircraft and although the upper cockpit for the pilot and co-pilot are chained off, you can sit down in the lower crew deck and enjoy pressing the weapons release button to your hearts content :P Which for all you Vulcan lovers is on the far left of the rear cockpit panel, just above the crew bench and on the wall, which of course I will pay extra attention to model

See you later!

Sam

• Like 1

Just stumbled across this build. Nice to see something so completely different. I will definitely follow with interest.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

You must need your head testing but I can't wait to see how this progresses...

Why would I need my head testing :P Any sane British person would want a truly great aircraft to be modelled as best as one can make it. And thanks :)

Update: slightly behind schedule due to external events but the abandon aircraft sign and adjoining panel has been done today!

Right, hello again, quick update, another small control panel added, just trying the black paint for the time being. Also the joystick in front of the ground scanning radar has been added, and the red panel you see is the abandon aircraft sign.

df0a6564-fa7a-4f8e-8308-b98f53f5d19d_zps

That's all for now, apologies on it being this brief!

Sam

Edited by cathasatail

• 3 weeks later...

Come on Sam

What's happening ?

Cheers Pat

Hi,

Sorry lots of coursework has had to be completed before a lot of progress can be made (school having started again :( ) On the plus side I have got the bombsight pretty much made and the bomb-aiming window. Since my last post and before school started I went to Duxford and have taken a few reference images, also I have finished an Airfix Vulcan which can now give me a fairly decent representation of what I need to get done. Photos will come "soon " but not tonight as working with photobucket is a nightmare at this time of night.

I am still "on a roll" and after I have finished my B17 and Wessex, I can be primarily focused on this. The plan of action is to first of all finish detailling the rear crew stations and then progress onto adding the jump seats, escape/entrance hatch and then moving onto the cockpit floor and bom-aiming station. In terms of timescale I have set a target of about a week to get the lower area done.

That's all for now, see you all later and have a good night!

Sam

Having been inside the Vulcan at Staverton recently I am tempted to do give this a go myself

Please do have a go! If you want images from the pilots manual of all the knobs and buttons in the crew cabin, just ask, there is also a thread out there with lots of walkaround images and a few rudimentary dimensions: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/38624-avro-vulcan-xm594-at-nam/

For everyone else, here is an image of said bombsight and bomb-aiming window: IMG_0928_zps86176f1b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, not much done since last post due to external commitments, I have been without black paint for a few weeks but I should be getting some this week and progress may begin once again. In the meantime the seats have been repainted and appropriate weathering added. Don't expect much to happen over the next 3 weeks (science coursework has just started) :(

Thanks for your patience,

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again.

Major chunk of school coursework has been done (1/9th of it all, so far i am at 5800 words and 14 pages) so progress has begun again!

The cockpit looks much better now that everything is in a nice coat of black, panels need to be done still but the lights have been added and painted, the side wall panels have been cut and the crew hatch and panel has been made and is being painted as we speak. If all goes well then we should have a finished rear crew section within the next week or two!

G'night

Sam

Large section of work has been done, the crew ladder and crew escape hatch has been assembled, put together and fitted into the fuselage underside of the rear crew-cabin and is soon to be fitted onto the main crew-cabin itself. Side-walls have been trimmed and dry-fitted in preparation for finishing the crew-cabin off sometime next week.

What do you guys think, should I enclose it all but leave one half to come away or should I have a cross-section view on one side?

Thanks,

Sam

• 2 years later...