Spitfire Vc

Latest project , to make a Spitfire Vc, I picked up the new Airfix Vb kit at the IPMS Avon show at the weekend , but as I already have a couple of Vb's in the cabinet I wanted to try sometning a little different. I found a pair of C wings left over from an Eduard MkIX, [ some boxings have C and E wings included ], and it appears that the upper surfaces will be quite a close match to the Airfix lower wing.

So far I have added the wheel-well pieces to the Airfix wing and added some plastic card blanks over the lower wing bulge areas and the inner machine gun case ejector ports, as these will need to be moved for a Vc.

More updates in due course , but fingers crossed so far.

DSC04269_zps2311fdb7.jpg

DSC04268_zpsb659dc25.jpg

Andrew

• Like 5

I wondered when someone would try this. Watching with interest mate. What scheme you thinking of?

Jonners

Thanks Jonners , haven't really decided on a scheme yet , got a couple in mind.

Have cut out the cannon access doors from the Eduard upper wings and found a couple of doors with wide blisters in the spares box ,[ ICM ? ], more updates later.

DSC04271_zpscb04dbf5.jpg

Andrew

• Like 1

So far , so good , the Eduard upper wings are almost a perfect match for the Airfix lower wing , I have filled the Vb cannon ejector ports and the inner Machine gun ports. New Ejector ports have been cut to suit the C wing and several panel lines under the wings have been filled and new ones scribed. [ the inner machine guns were one wing rib further outboard on the C wing ] Airfix aelirons added and I found some wing tips in the spares box.

DSC04279_zps90f52bde.jpg

DSC04281_zpse29111a2.jpg

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Jones
  • Like 2

Personally I think I'd consider either grafting the early oil cooler on the IX wing lower panel, or cutting JUST outboard of the wheel well and splicing in the 'c' underside. But I'll go to great lengths to avoid some filling, sanding, and scribing!

Following with interest...

bob

Very tidy Andrew,

I will be having a go at doing this myself,....you`ve done a great job so far and I`d be interested to hear if you have decided upon a decal option yet,....doing a Vc certainly opens up more doors for interesting schemes such as those flown by the RAAF which didn`t fly the Vb in Australia.

Cheers

Tony

Quick update, nearly finished the cockpit , OOB with only the addition of etched Sutton harness. Paint is my usual Humbrol 90 base with a wash of 78 to darken and give depth to the shadows, perhaps not 100% accurate following recent colour discussions here, but I think it looks about right in this scale. This is one kit that won't need a resin cockpit , it's pretty complete as it comes.

DSC04303_zps5e5369d2.jpg

Andrew

• Like 2

Just finished mine as Neville Dukes aircraft, I am going to post up images in RFI tomorrow evening. Im watching this with interest got the Doubles kit on order for my Malta Beurling build.

Most impressive on mating those wings together. Well done sir!

Edited by chuckb1

I got the wing on ,. the fit is remarkeable , considering the parts are from different kits , just a small gap at the forwards edge of the upper wing root. Should be no problem with a smear of filler. A word of warning however, the lower wing parts have "shrink marks " ,that have appeared near the tip , this is probably due to the finess of the parts and an excess of liquid cement , so be careful.

DSC04304_zpse0d5ecb1.jpg

DSC04305_zps80562582.jpg

DSC04307_zps5ce994d1.jpg

DSC04306_zps5f808094.jpg

Andrew

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Making good progress now , basically all together and ready for a primer coat. Undercarriage on , windscreen and rear canopy on . Just needs masking up before spraying the primer.

DSC04309_zps626f7af1.jpg

DSC04310_zps2ede56c8.jpg

What a lovely little kit , even allowing for me mucking it about the fit is superb.

Andrew

• Like 3