First off, I was coerced into this build. It was not my fault and I didn't want to start it just yet. I realize I have too many projects going at once and it would be nice to complete one or two. But this is all Nigel's fault. The creator of AA and past purveyor of Antics is entirely to blame. I was innocently perusing some threads and came across his build of the 1/48 Dragon Me 163 Komet. In his thread, he stated he had purchased after market goodies that included a resin rocket engine. Since it was so pretty, it needed to be displayed and he innocently asked if anyone had any ideas about an engine stand for this plane. What a ploy!!! I had the 1/32 Meng kit of the Me-163B Komet in the stash and had been avoiding it because it was so tempting to build. I also knew the kit had display stands for the rocket engine and tail assembly. So, being the good-natured soul I am, I offered to look in the kit to see how the stands were portrayed to help him out. He further sucked me into his web by wondering about the detail of the rocket engine. So now, I am looking through the kit instructions for details about the stands and the engine build. I find both. My plan was to send him copies of the appropriate instruction pages and then photos of the kit parts regarding the stands and engine so he can use them to detail his kit. What a trap. Here I am removing parts from the sprue for him and drooling over the detail in this kit. The stands were very simple parts wise and I thought why not build them up and take pictures of the completed assembly. As I was doing that, I noticed some comments in his thread about the detail of the rocket engine and how some of the PE parts were not just cutting it. I then started removing engine parts and . . . yeah, I'm hooked on this kit.

So this build will begin with the stands and the rocket engine. Please bear with me, as this build will start strangely with the support stands. They consists of 5 parts creating 2 stands. One stand is to support the rocket engine as it is exposed from the end of the aircraft. The other stand is to support the tail structure that is removed to expose the engine. The stand supporting the tail assembly is complete, no assembly. (Yea, no work except for painting.) The stand for the tail assembly consists of 4 parts and is very simple to piece together.

stand2.jpg

stand3.jpg

stand6.jpg

The way Meng represents the stand makes me think they were made out of wood. So, the toughest part of the stands will be to represent the wood grain. Or, I can just decide they were painted and move on!

Next up, assembly of the rocket engine. Upon examining the parts on the sprue, you have to wonder if you can remove some of them because they are so delicate. The detail is just superb. I started doing sub-assemblies for the rocket engine tailpipe, the rocket engine turbine and the T-stoff tank.

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

engine3.jpg

engine4.jpg

engine5.jpg

engine6.jpg

engine7.jpg

The only real problem I ran into was the T-stoff tank. The join of the two halves of the tank is not good; either my fault or design of the kit. Normally, I just fix the join as filler and putty are my constant companion, but in this case, that will be difficult because of all the matching straps and tank machinings. I can’t really think of a way to fix it. Hopefully, most of it will be hidden and not seen. All the engine parts were then given their base colors.

enginepaint1.jpg

While everything dries, I will hang my head in shame I was so tricked into starting this build. It is Nigel’s fault!! As always, all comments are welcome.

• Like 4

Hi George,

I think that part of the issue with the fuel tank is that the way the real one was manutfactured, the halves do not match up and there is channel where the kit parts portray one.. You can see it on the picture below.

Ken

dscn3654Me163_Tank.jpg

Edited by mekon
  • Like 2

Ah George I can't help noticing that yours is bigger than Nigel's. Can you show us all the bits still on the sprue so we can get an idea just how big it is please?

Mekon, where is that wonderful place full of thingies and whotsits? Looks like it's worth a visit.

Duncan B

• Like 2

I am still researching my rocket engine stand and when I did a Google search this thread was the first thing that popped up. You're famous g-usa and thanks for sending me all the information.

• Like 2

Nigel

Spreading the good word since 2012.

All you need is a personal logo (if Dalek is under some trademark protection) and you're good to go...

• Like 2

I am still researching my rocket engine stand and when I did a Google search this thread was the first thing that popped up. You're famous g-usa and thanks for sending me all the information.

How scary is that! I'm thinking if Google has this as a scholarly work backed up by massive amounts of research how sad are their algorithms? I thought they invested big bucks in those. You think I should post a disclaimer?

• Like 2

Next update. The T-stoff tank has been put on its base and weathered. The good news about the seam is that there was one on the actual tank. That is a relief. I had no idea how to fix it without ruining the detail on the parts.

t-stoff1.jpg

The T-stoff bulkheads were then painted and weathered. Once dry, they are ready for attachment to the T-stoff base. Say good bye to all of that lovely detail as once they are attached to the tank base that lovely detail will be all but invisible.

t-stoff2.jpg

And here is the T-stoff tank ready to be inserted between the rocket engine and cockpit assembly.

t-stoff3.jpg

The rocket engine is a little kit all to itself. Here are the main parts built up with just the main fuel tubes attached. Warning, this is picture heavy as the detail is hard to get in one or two shots.

engine10.jpg

engine9.jpg

engine8.jpg

engine7-1.jpg

engine6-1.jpg

engine5-1.jpg

engine4-1.jpg

engine3-1.jpg

engine2-1.jpg

engine1-1.jpg

It is a fiddly little assembly until all the parts are glued and harden. After that, it is not as fragile as it looks. Multiple wires and tubes next have to be put in the turbine assembly section. Once finagled into place, though, they will probably not be seen. There is also another main fuel tube that needs to be attached. After that, the rocket engine is complete.

completeengine1.jpg

completeengine2.jpg

completeengine3.jpg

completeengine4.jpg

completeengine5.jpg

completeengine6.jpg

completeengine7.jpg

It was quite fun trying to sneak in all the inner wires leading from their connection at the turbine to the bulkhead. With a pen light and knowing what to look for, you might even catch a glimpse of them. I know they are there, but I can’t even get photographic evidence they exist. Work will stop here for a while as I have to let this one set until I get some other builds finished. In the meantime, I need to figure out what scheme I am going to do. Since a new documentary about Capt. Brown arrived, I am tempted to do the aircraft he tested. The only thing giving me pause is all of that yellow that needs to be done and I hate to paint yellow. I have no aircraft in my collection with Capt. Brown’s markings. Seems this should be a good one for him. While I decide to bite the bullet, as always, all comments welcome.

• Like 5

That's a much nicer and more realistic engine than my resin kit, ah well.

With a white undercoat and an airbrush, yellow should not be that hard. Am I right in thinking your dislike of yellow stems from brush painting experience with it?

• Like 1

Yellow to me is a shade harder to do than white. I have done white with a brush, rattle can, and most recently the airbrush with the F-104 Hunting Cat. I have done yellow with a brush and rattle can; both colors give me fits. But I have decided on Capt. browm's markings for this kit. So be prepared, I will have difficulties and bad words will be used!

Guys, I thought I could help you with a set of photos of this engine on an original German stand.

I have access to some of the evaluation reports written at RAE Farnborough, so following a quick search I found the page with three nicely labelled photos of what looks like a useable engine on a stand. That's where the idea I could help stopped - the RAE have mounted it on a radial engine maintenance stand they just had lying around.

• Like 1

Ah George I can't help noticing that yours is bigger than Nigel's. Can you show us all the bits still on the sprue so we can get an idea just how big it is please?

Mekon, where is that wonderful place full of thingies and whotsits? Looks like it's worth a visit.

Duncan B

Duncan, I have to apologize as I usually have a shot of the box art and parts when I start a build. This one started a little unusual. For comparison purposes, I have taped the wings and fuselage and put it next to a standard F-22 Raptor. The Raptor is 1/48 scale. The Komet is 1/32. This is a little bitty aircraft.

comparison1.jpg

comparison2.jpg

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Very nice work on the engine George.

Following the "it's Nigel's fault" theme, I have decided to lay blame at his feet for my purchase of this kit. True, I bought it a couple of months ago, but I just don't want to let the opportunity to go by to blame someone else! On the up side, he gets the credit for the build so he has built a multitude of kits out of one purchase. Very economical!

Regards,

Kent

• Like 1

Same here on the Huey build . Google huey build , his build was the first to come up ..

I starting think he has stock in Google now ,

Rick

• Like 3

I reckon g-usa has his finger in all sorts of arcane and nefarious financial schemes. The Google stock is probably one of the more legitimate ones.

George is a Texan , Either go big or go home .. The Texan that George is , He will go big .. Google is big ..

Rick

• Like 1