Special Hobby 1:72 DAP Beaufort Mk.VIII

Bill,

I would like you to do a Buffalo, someone called them a sweet little bird ( or something like that ).

Or a Catalina, because my uncle flew with your Navy in WWII from Manas Island rescuing Allied aircrew and bombing the japs. He shot down 11 1/2Japaneseplanes got 11 medals, decorated by Admiral Halsey ( in a little book he wrote he had Halsey a General ) for getting 48 B-25 crewmen ( 2 died the next day ) from Kavieng Harbour.

He was one of 52 Aussies that volunteered to fight with your blokes, 13 came home. Of the original US Navy aircrew in the squadron he went to no aircrew survived. The squadron was the first Black Cat squadron, I have tried to find out which squadron that was in with no luck.

I also have these 2 planes in my stash.

And from what I remember he was a nice bloke.

Stephen

Very cool info Stephen. I also have the Black Cat PBY in my stash. Here is some info I dug up off the web.

According to one site the first official Black Cat missions commenced in December, 19452 out of Guadalcanal flown by crews from Navy squadron VP-12 under Commander Clarence Taff. Another website quotes the same timeframe but says it was VP-11.

Thought you might be interested in this article about picking up crew in Kavieng Harbor. Do you know if this is the crew your Uncle flew with? Is he in the pic on the page?

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/people/veterans/gordon.html

• Like 1

Looked at your stash, very impressive - and very similar to my own stash (apart for the German stuff). But one kit that really stuck out and hit me with a big wave of nostalgia, was the LS kit of the Mitsubishi Ki-109. I bought that kit (and quite a few more), and later built it, in the spring of1969 from the original Squadron Shop on John R, Hazel Park MI. At the time I was an exchange student at Ferndale High School, MI. As a matter of fact, the model still resides im my display cabinet, although it has lost one aileron over the years.

• Like 1

Hey Bill,

She's looking brilliant up on her wheels.

Cant wait to see transfers on.

Also looking forward to masks coming off....just to peer through the windows and see that cracking little map and lamp again!

Chocks away.

• Like 1

My vote Bill - anything in the pile! Whatever you turn your hand to ends up being an absolute stunner & you provide us with some of the most entertaining build threads on the planet on your way to getting there!

Most important - just get yourself well soon!

Keith

• Like 1

I don't really mind what you build next Bill. I am sure it will be just as entertaining as all your other efforts.

Martin

.......I know you'll show us all how to master these kits :)

Most important - just get yourself well soon!

I agree entirely with all of these thoughts Bill; but I will admit to thinking it would be nice if you deployed your skills on the old Airfix Tiger Moth :)

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2

philp,

My uncle wrote a book while he was recovering from surgery to remove a jap bullet lodged in his spine he happily received on the second mission to bomb Guam. He was the tail gunner that day and they were flying Liberators. The bullet was removed in the late 70's or early 80's I think.

This is the story of the rescue at Kavieng Harbour.

"I feel that the most daring and the most foolish thing that we ever done whilst on Air Sea Rescue happened at a place called Kavieang, the japs main base on New Ireland. It was at this time being heavily bombed by a Mitchell Squadron, who had just arrived at our island three days before, and this was their first big run on a japaneese installation, the island was very heavily fortified and I feel that lack of experience had taken its toll, they had been briefed soundly by our own CO as we had done this run on several occasions before, our own crew had sat in on the briefing as was customary and our skipper had also given them some instructions on ditching procedures, but I feel that it went in one ear and out the other. I feel that they had thought the same as we thought at our first briefing --- 'this wont happen to me, it will happen to the other fellows'.

So with orders from the CO to land if possible and pick up 8 Mitchell crews, but not to land if we looked like loosing our own aircraft. We remembered how just a few weeks ago a crew had endangered their lives for only five of us, so here was our answer.

The harbour at Kavieang was very large so with our hearts in our mouths we lost altitude, we came in with the wind behind us and I would wager that the japs thought we were nuts. There was a 14 foot swell in that harbour and we landed in it. It was probably the worst landing in history as we hit one swell after an other. Our bow started to leak but finally we set down just like a huge albatross we taxied around that harbour and picked up every man. The shore fire was very intence, but fortunately their big guns could not come to bear as we were in too close, however what they did fling as us was bad enough.

We now had a rather big problem, how in the hell were we ever to get airbourne again, all of the crews that were able were bailing out water with our collapsible buckets hand over hand, a human chain over the wounded and out through the blisters. Heading out to sea and bouncing from one swell to another, we taxied for an incredible 9 miles before we became airbourne. So we pulled it off, one of the other Mitchells stooged around and took some pictures of this operation. Later some of those pictures became quite famous. We had quite a few serious wounded on board and the only thing we could do was try and stop their bleeding and give them as much comfort as possible in such cramped quarters and of course the hot coffee and biscuits."

They finally got back to base and had to repair the leaking hull as the japs had bombed the runway while they were gone. They had to make a water landing.

It was Nimitz that handed out the medals to that crew, not Halsey.

Hope you enjoy this little story. I don't mean to pinch your thread Bill

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ
  • Like 3

Wow, so many responses - thanks, mates. That gives me a lot to think about and choose from. All great subjects, too! I love pulling the kits out of the stash and fondling their plastic. That's the only way to pick one you know. When you can't decide, fondle the plastic. One of them will talk to you, and that's the one! :):)

Here are a few photos that show today's progress. I managed to accomplish everything I tried to - it was a good day. Transfers are on, flat clear varnish is on, some pastel work accomplished, and some extra detailing on the landing gear. Oh, and the masks have been removed. This was the first time that I used Montex masks, and they came off fine, leaving no residue. However, the paint on the outside does not stick to the vinyl mask so when you're pulling it off, little shards of paint go flying everywhere. What a pain to clean up - they stick to the model and I had to use the compressor to blow them all off every time I removed a section of mask.

Anyway, I think it came out OK. I have to say that I'm dreading all those photoetch antennae. But it must be done!

100_5212

100_5214

100_5215

100_5216

The navigation lights came out looking nice. And to think they were made from a plastic picnic knife. It's modern art I tell ya.

100_5221

I added the cow catcher to both main landing gear. I suspect that is not what it actually is - perhaps it's a bounce bar to prevent over retraction of the oleo? Or maybe it's a kangaroo catcher...in any event it's a combination of photoetch and 0.3mm diameter solder.

100_5217

With this shot, you can look through the canopy and see that the map and light are still in there. Rob, Olive should like Snifter the dog, too!

100_5219

Christmas movies and Chinese take-out at my daughter's house tonight so no more modelling today. Toodles!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 20

A true work of ART.. It is the bees knees of models.

I am on holidays starting today. Four glorious weeks away from fools paradise. Her in doors tells me I'm cooking dinner tonight, T bone and some prawns on the barbie.

Have a good time at your daughters Bill.

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ
  • Like 2

I knew I forgot something! I also did some paint work on the Brengun photoetch landing gear doors. I added a wash, but haven't cleaned it up yet. Compare these to the kit landing gear doors, and, well there's no comparison. What comes with the kit are just blank slabs.

100_5222

And I started work on the bombs. Special Hobby provides two parts in resin, and two in photoetch. Let me tell you, those photoetch parts are the definition of fiddly. Yikes! Nearly drove me looney. Er, let me restate that - nearly drove more even more looney!

100_5223

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 8

Nice work. As for the brackets on the u/c legs, I believe they are to close the doors when the gear was retracted. Are there any type of small brackets on the u/c doors that may engage the leg brackets?

Chris