Special Hobby 1:72 DAP Beaufort Mk.VIII

On 10/26/2014 at 16:23, PlaStix said:

Well it all looks very nice from where I'm looking. Lovely neat work. Well done.

Thanks, it will look much better when we get some paint on her! :)

On 10/26/2014 at 18:28, dr_gn said:

It looks great in the pictures.

Quite often during a build I'll take pictures and look at them on screen to find errors. If it looks good at 3x actual size it will look better at 1:1 , and it's way better to find flaws early in a build...

Absolutely. I even keep a big old magnifying glass on my bench. It helps finds errors in addition to allowing me to work with 1:72 scale photoetch, and of course, do battle with the carpet monster.

On 10/26/2014 at 19:13, Rémi said:

A very fine build

I'm impatient to see the paint work

You and me both, mate! I always start to rush things at this stage, because I really want to get to the painting and transfer stage (those are my favourite parts). I hate sanding and filling and sanding and filling...

On 10/26/2014 at 20:18, martin hale said:

Good fix on the canopy Bill, exactly the way I would have tackled the problem. Remember though, if the model looks good in the "insanely magnified photos", it will look fantastic to the naked eye.

Martin

And it will even look more fantastic to the naked eyes of most of the folks I hang around with (they're even older than me, you know). Another reason to get some paint on her - primer and paint cover up a lot of this stuff that looks bad, but really isn't bad.

Like this - I added the bomb aimer's picture window, and blended it into the fuselage. (I had to "bend" the clear plastic part into a slight "V" shape, the supplied part was too flat.) Here is how it came out:

100_5065

Looks odd, eh? But when I hold it up to the light, so that I get a grazing angle of incidence, it looks pretty smooth. So I think it will look OK once it's masked and then painted.

I think I'll head back to the cockpit and add the remaining items, and then button up the canopy. I've painted the engines, too, but need to give them a wash to bring out some details. She's getting there!

In order to match the configuration of the plane I'm building, I've had to change my choice of markings. Instead of my original idea, the model will be marked as A9-609, with nose art for "Snifter," a plane that made many anti-submarine patrols off the coast of Australia. The transfers will soon be on their way, coming all the way from Australia itself. Snifter was a popular cartoon dog in Oz during the war.

snifter2

snifter3

snifter1

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

So I grabbed the drill, hit the switch, closed my eyes, clenched my teeth and BAM - punched on through!

100_5079

It might even work. The resin gun barrels fit through the holes, and the cute little photoetch piece covers up the evidence of my shoddy workmanship. That's what I like about modelling. There's always a way to cover stuff up. :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

Hi Bill,

I notice your choice of markings is now "Snifter". This is now confirmed as a Beaufort with an upward firing gun.

Pentland: RAAF Camouflage and Markings, 1939-45, Vol.2, page 68.

Details of the modification can be found through the link at post no 137.

FGH

On 10/29/2014 at 00:47, Stew Dapple said:

That's very tidy Bill, did you put masking tape over the glass before you drilled or did you just go straight at it? I would have been a bit concerned about cracking the whole thing (as perhaps you were too) :owww:

Yes, I used some Tamiya tape. My drill was a 0.042" diameter drill made for woodworking, so it has a very different flute design than if it were for metalworking. I think a metalworking drill is more likely to create problems when drilling through clear plastic. I held the drill in a pin vise, and "drilled" through by hand. So obviously, very low RPMs! Which is also the key to not cracking it. :)

On 10/29/2014 at 05:12, fharris said:

I notice your choice of markings is now "Snifter". This is now confirmed as a Beaufort with an upward firing gun.

Pentland: RAAF Camouflage and Markings, 1939-45, Vol.2, page 68.

Details of the modification can be found through the link at post no 137.

I was planning on doing the upward firing gun anyway, so that's good news. I hope the markings will be Snifter, there is always the possibility that the transaction to get those decals falls through. I hope not, I kind of like the little doggie.

On 10/29/2014 at 05:06, TPReggie said:

This really is building up nicely, I am looking forward to seeing it progress to completion :goodjob:

Thanks! I am too, this build seems to be taking longer than usual. All of my health problems have interfered a bit, but I think we're pretty close to paint.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Lovely stuff Bill, as to be expected...

Absolutely. I even keep a big old magnifying glass on my bench.

Me too, in fact that's what I use normally just to see the thing, or anything come to that !......age eh...

Good advice on the wood drill versus metal too, I only ever use woodworking bits as I find the metal ones tear too much creating stress, (not only with the plastic !).......nice and easy does it.

Just need to get some paint on now...

(Also have to agree about the Special Hobby stuff, I've got several including their lovely Barracuda Mk II which has been sat looking sadly at me from the stash for over a year)..

Edited by general melchett

On 10/29/2014 at 16:18, general melchett said:

Lovely stuff Bill, as to be expected...

(Also have to agree about the Special Hobby stuff, I've got several including their lovely Barracuda Mk II which has been sat looking sadly at me from the stash for over a year)..

Ah, a Barracuda! I think I have one of those, too, somewhere in the depths of the stash. Man, now I'm going to be thinking about that all the time. And of course I will have to fold the wings back!

Back to the Beau - let's see, did I do anything? Right, yes, of course. First up, I painted the resin engines, and gave them a nice wash. It's a pity they don't photograph better, because I think they look right sharp in real life. It's that insane magnification again.

100_5070

Hard to tell, but there is an ignition ring on there somewhere - oh, here it is.

100_5067

The engines fit quite snug in the cowling - I may have to sand down their diameter just a bit to allow me to position the engine better. Once I have glued the engines in, I think it's time to get the cowlings onto the nacelles. Then I need to add two resin air scoops, one for the top of each nacelle right behind the cooling gills.

100_5069

Next up, I added the navigator/bomb aimer's plotting device, or whatever it is. In this photo, you can see it mounted on the starboard fuselage wall, right up front by the big window. It's just above the lamp in the photo.

100_5080

I don't know, but I suppose this was used to help in bomb aiming when the bomb aimer was prone. Somewhere in this front compartment, I suspect there must also be a course setting bombsight. But it's getting pretty crowded already, and I haven't added the guns yet.

There will be two machine guns up front, with the barrels protruding out of the holes I punched through the canopy. I have some photoetch ammo belts that I can use to feed into the gun, but I have no clue where the ammo box might have been. I used PE ammo belts in my PB4Y and they looked pretty good, especially if you can get a nice natural looking fold. So does anyone know where the ammo box(es) might have been?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

On 10/29/2014 at 22:47, philp said:

Could be. The cutaway is a Mk.1, while I'm building a Mk.VIII. I do not know if the nose guns were any different between the marks. Certainly, the resin guns included with the Special Hobby kit do not include the round magazines, but that means nothing. It would be pretty easy to add them, probably easier than draping ammo belts.

Another data point is that I have the PE set by Brengun for this kit, and it includes ammo belts. However, they only show the belts being used for the dorsal turret. But they give you enough of them to also use in the nose!

I love it! :)

Cheers,

Bill

On 10/30/2014 at 19:07, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'd have expected this aircraft to have belt fed Brownings rather then Vickers Ks? :shrug:

That was my thought as well, but it appears to not be true. The Wiki article on the Beaufort states that ".303 in (7.7 mm) Vickers GO machine guns were fitted; two on a gimbal mounting in the forward nose and single guns on pivots on either beam." This is for early war RAF Beauforts.

However, I can find no evidence that it was different for DAP made machines. In "The Beaufort Database" it is stated "the fitting of nose guns followed British practice." When I look at my reference photos, the barrels protruding out of the front of the nose look like the Vickers GO gun, with its characteristic angled end to the barrel. Add to that the characteristic handles to the end of the stock, and I have to say these are Vickers guns:

1_beau_fs_101_800

The dorsal turret, on the other hand, had Brownings.

Vickers in the nose it shall be! So, does anyone make Vickers GO guns in 1:72 scale, with the magazines? :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Vickers in the nose it shall be! So, does anyone make Vickers GO guns in 1:72 scale, with the magazines? :)

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I wonder if these would do the trick.

http://www.hpmhobbies.com/high-planes-vickers-k-gun-x-2-accessories-1-72/

Pics here

http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=258547

Cheers

Michael

On 10/30/2014 at 21:15, Michael louey said:

Good find! Now to find someone who sells it...

Cheers,

Bill

The new Airfix Blenheim has three of what look like VGOs, only one is used.

Perhaps some-one on here would be able to send you some (I'd offer but I know at least one will get broken removing it from the sprue).

On 10/30/2014 at 22:00, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That is surprising. :huh:

Innit? :)

On 10/31/2014 at 02:21, Beard said:

The new Airfix Blenheim has three of what look like VGOs, only one is used.

Perhaps some-one on here would be able to send you some (I'd offer but I know at least one will get broken removing it from the sprue).

Really? I shall have a look, as I have that kit in the stash.

I discovered another option last night. I have the Brengun photoetch fret for the DAP Beaufort. On it are parts that allow you to "convert" one of the resin dual Brownings that come with the SH kit into Vickers GO guns. I need to supply 6mm plastic rod for the magazines, and then use their PE to dress up the top and bottom of the discs made from the rod. Then cut off the end of the Browning barrels (where they flare) and put on the characteristic angle. Brengun then supplies additional PE for the gunsights. I have no explanation for why I didn't see this before, other than a complete lack of paying attention! I probably looked at the fret and thought the PE discs were fuel filler caps or something! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

On 10/31/2014 at 12:28, Beard said:

Just checked and it does, part C31.

I will see if the Brengun PE can be used to dress up the Airfix Blenheim guns. "The Blenheim Mk.I only needs one gun? There weren't two in the turret? No side or nose guns?" he asked, clearly displaying for all his lack of Blenheim-ology.

Cheers,

Bill

I will see if the Brengun PE can be used to dress up the Airfix Blenheim guns. "The Blenheim Mk.I only needs one gun? There weren't two in the turret? No side or nose guns?" he asked, clearly displaying for all his lack of Blenheim-ology.

Cheers,

Bill

Cheers,

Bill

I'm certain (but happy to be proved wrong) that the Blenheim I had one VGO in the turret (the Blenheim IV had either 2 VGOs or two Brownings. Can't remember which) but definately, or at least as far as I'm aware, no side or nose guns in the Blenheim 1 (some of the IVs had either one or two guns in a remotely-sighted/ controlled position under the nose). The instructions only call for one gun in the turret of the Blenheim I.

Sorry about all the sub-clauses in the above but there's always some-one on here who knows me than I do.

Hi Bill,

I might be a bit late with these shots but I was at Moorabin Air Museum last Saturday and noticed there were not 1 but 2 Beaufort noses on site. One is restored whereas the other is in óriginal' state. Hope they can still help with the build.

MoorabinWingsRebooted019_zpsc01918e2.jpg

MoorabinWingsRebooted016_zps587aea90.jpg

MoorabinWingsRebooted014_zps57d0f440.jpg

MoorabinWingsRebooted015_zps292ad537.jpg

MoorabinWingsRebooted013_zpsfc619bf1.jpg

MoorabinWingsRebooted021_zpsa895ed7f.jpg

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael louey
  • Like 2

Thanks, Michael! I've seen photos of these nose sections before, but not as nice as these. I assume you took these shots - nice work. You have the eye of a modeller. :)

Cheers,

Bill