1:16 Hobby Boss Tiger I need advice

Hello everyone, I finally dug my Tiger I and starting to get the model bench cleaned off. I read Mike's review here on it and a few other posts. Tiger I being my favorite tank and I am not a expert on these but do have the book The Modeler's Guide to the Tiger Tank. My question is from what I have read here that it sounds like this is a mixture of the productions and it falls more in the mid to late production with some early production features. Which production is this going to be the easiest one to model? Or is this going to involve tracking down Tamiya plastic sprues in order to add to this model. Also does anyone know if the AM people been making sets for the Hobby Boss Tiger?

It is a little bit of a mixed bag combining both early and mid production features. I think it is best to stick to making a mid production as that would require less work and will save you from having to source new tracks and the Feifel air filter system.

Aber have released a comprehensive PE set while Voyager have released front / rear fenders and sideskirts. Schumo make a variety of metal items designed for the Tamiya kit which could also be used. Atak do a full zimmerit set if you do not want to tackle that job yourself. You should be able to source all the parts you need and it is worth checking out some of the upgrades for henglong RC tanks as many of them can be used on the hobbyboss kit.

Take a look at the following link, it will give you an idea of what is available. http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/tiger-1-9-c.asp

• 2 weeks later...

Matt182, Thanks for the link. It does show a lot of very good AM parts for this tank.

I think I finally settled on what tiger to do. In Osprey book Modeling the Tiger I there is a build of 321 SS.PzAbt.101 Normandy 1944. Was it true that they had blue numbers with a white outline?

The other one I was thinking of was Wittman's tank 007.

suggestions on which one or someone have any other suggestions for a mid production tiger.

Dan

a build of 321 SS.PzAbt.101 Normandy 1944.

The other one I was thinking of was Wittman's tank 007.

suggestions on which one or someone have any other suggestions for a mid production tiger.

Dan

Tiger 321 looks like a match for the kit ( except for the kit's errors, see http://tiger1.info/EN/HB82601-errors.html )

007 was a Command Tiger of a later date, and in fact I think it had steel wheels. You would have to make a few changes for accuracy.

David

Edited by DByrden

David, thanks for the link that shows some of the errors of the kit. It appears a lot of them won't take much to fix them. It looks like it is going to be Tiger tank 321. Just have to continue picking up some AM a little at a time. Dan

• 1 year later...

Greetings everyone. I need some advice or better yet colored pictures. I am about to start on my Tiger I and was wondering what color should the interior of the engine compartment be? What color the fuel tanks and the fan compartments also. Thanks and early Happy New Years.

Might pay you to post this in the Armour discussion by era part, May get more looks and replies than in the 1/16 part

Smaller scale I know but the colours will still apply to yours

Sorry I don't know the answers

• 2 years later...

I recently bought the ATAK Zimmerit set for this Hobbyboss kit. It's expensive, but I don't have the skills or patience to reproduce the Zimm using putty. The ATAK set is very nicely made and should look amazing once painted and weathered. The bits I have mated up to the plastic fitted it like a glove. 

There is also a rubber Zimmerit set (produced to fit the Heng Long RC kit) which can be made to fit the HB Tiger with a bit of subtle persuasion.  There is an on-line article detailing how to fit the rubber set on the Hobbyboss.    

Chris. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Firstly, I hope it’s ok to resurrect an old topic discussion. No one has commented on this in over 2 years!

I am fairly new to Britmodeller and signed up as my goal is to make my models more historically accurate (rather than just looking aesthetically pleasing).

I’ve bought the hobbyboss Tiger and it should arrive today. My plan is to spend the necessary time researching before I start building this time. I’ve built a 1:35 tiger before and made a great job of it using winter white wash and snow. It looks great... but this time I want something a little more accurate.

Reading here, it seems 321 is the tank to base this on. 

Since this thread was originally written, can anyone offer any more wisdom? Where can I look to research 321 specifically? Are there any new 1/16 add-ons available that I should know about?

I bought Anthony Tucker Jones - Images of war special - Tiger 1 and 2.

unfortunately, there’s no specific pictures of 321.

Please can someone here offer some wisdom? 

Thanks

Not sure whats available in plastic but you might have a look at the forgebear website for different road wheels and commanders cupola if you wanted to produce a mid/later variant. Metal road wheels are not cheap though. The ideal would be to get hold of one road wheel and then copy it in resin as its for a static model but forebear only sells sets of course. You would only need 16 and I wouldn't bother with the faces you can't see. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Simon Cornes said:

Not sure whats available in plastic but you might have a look at the forgebear website for different road wheels and commanders cupola if you wanted to produce a mid/later variant. Metal road wheels are not cheap though. The ideal would be to get hold of one road wheel and then copy it in resin as its for a static model but forebear only sells sets of course. You would only need 16 and I wouldn't bother with the faces you can't see. 

Whooooa! Forgebear is new to me and they’ve got so much I want! 
I never knew there was this kind of thing! 
Thanks!!!

25 minutes ago, The Great Escape said:

Whooooa! Forgebear is new to me and they’ve got so much I want! 
I never knew there was this kind of thing! 
Thanks!!!

Oops......and there you go down the route to financial misery!! You might check out Welshdragon models as well then! 

• Haha 1

Yep, Forgebear and Welsh Dragon - both good companies to know about. There are a few German companies who produce 1/16th white-metal items. I bought some a few years ago on E-Bay, but I can't remember their name, unfortunately.

It's worth pointing out that just about anything you source from Europe will have dreaded VAT levied on it as a matter of course now. For this reason, a number of small European companies are refusing to sell to UK buyers, due to the complex and time-consuming nature of filling out the paper-work. Apparently, in July a similar system will be rolled-out across all European countries. 

Chris.    

• Like 1

Funnily enough as regards the above mention of import taxes etc, I recently ( a few days ago) got some detail parts from EU territory, these arrived normally, straight thru the letter box with no tax demand before delivery or similar type malarkey...

The parts were stated on the jiffy bag label as value €20 .

I don't know if there's a threshold before tax kicks in, someone on a different forum mentioned £36.. but I've no idea what the official line is...maybe I just got lucky, worth checking as there must be some .gov thing outlining all this...if you can be bothered to wade thru it ( I certainly can't ! )

• Like 1

In reference to "Pig of the Week's" post above, as I understand it (not claiming to be any kind of expert) any item imported to the UK should - in theory at least - be rated for VAT. It's obvious that the authorities are letting some small, lower-valued items slip through the net at the moment, but I really wouldn't rely on this happening with any regularity. I have ordered a few large kits from China in the past (probably 6 or 7 years ago now). I have not been hit by a demand for import-taxes, but the possibility was always there. 

I would take a guess that this whole UK VAT situation could take a very long time to stabilize (maybe next year?). As I previously posted, in July, the whole of Europe will adopt a similar system... and who knows what kinda new mayhem that will engender?

Chris.    

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/03/2021 at 19:21, Simon Cornes said:

Oops......and there you go down the route to financial misery!! You might check out Welshdragon models as well then! 

My wife phoned me from her work today (I’m on holiday) to ask who this ‘forgebear’ was as they’ve left a dent in my PayPal account.

On 3/21/2021 at 10:33 PM, spruecutter96 said:

In reference to "Pig of the Week's" post above, as I understand it (not claiming to be any kind of expert) any item imported to the UK should - in theory at least - be rated for VAT. It's obvious that the authorities are letting some small, lower-valued items slip through the net at the moment, but I really wouldn't rely on this happening with any regularity. I have ordered a few large kits from China in the past (probably 6 or 7 years ago now). I have not been hit by a demand for import-taxes, but the possibility was always there. 

I would take a guess that this whole UK VAT situation could take a very long time to stabilize (maybe next year?). As I previously posted, in July, the whole of Europe will adopt a similar system... and who knows what kinda new mayhem that will engender?

Chris.    

Interestingly I ordered some stuff from EBay from a company in China and the Paypal price included an extra 20% for VAT. My understanding is thats the way its supposed to work so I'm not expecting any interference from HMRC now - I hope!!

1 hour ago, Simon Cornes said:

so I'm not expecting any interference from HMRC now - I hope!!

I hope that it all works out for you, Simon. At the moment, things seem to be very hit-and-miss.....

Chris.