I wish to make a RAF HC2 Wessex to go with the Whirlwind I did so have decied to use the old Novo kit and the matchbox offering to produce the HC2 which differs in the HU5 in many different ways but as people who know me will realise that I dont go to far into accuracy just looking right to me is good enough.

I used the Novo because it has the smaller cabin windows and the matchbox because it has the nose cockpit is representative not an accuret reproduction.

wsxwip1.jpg

Nose seperated from Matchbox kit

wsxwip2.jpg

Novo marked ready for cutting

wsxwip3.jpg

The nose was to thin at the bottom so a pirece of plastic as inserted to widen it and then filed to shape.

wsxwip4.jpg

Nose fits very well very little filler is going to be required

wsxwip5.jpg

Rodders

• Like 2

Good start Rodders

I think the Matchbox nose is quite a lot too squarish at its upper corners, you might want to curve it off a little

You can see the quite brutal shape that needs rounding in many photos

The Frog Novo Wessex is still my favourite option for a HC2/HAR2 even though the world is full of newer mouldings

The newer ones need as much work as the old one I reckon

You have a good start there

• Like 1

My initial thoughts were the same as Perdu but acutally the Matchbox nose seem to match up quite well. Yes for me too the old Frog/Novo kit still has a lot going for it.

I follow your build with interest.

Colin the Wessex

• Like 1

Cockpit is from the matchbox kit it is just a reprensation not an accurate copy of the real thingpaint1.jpg

cockpit masked ready for spraying. The struts are from the matchbox kit as theses are in the ground position as opposed to the novo one which represent the aircraft in flight. the wheels will be the novo one. I am loving doing this cross kit I know it will not be accurate for some but I am fine with the way it is turning out.

paint2.jpg

paint3.jpg

• Like 3

paint4.jpg

looking at photos no two were the same some had the the black around the cockpit steps, Some had the single yellow blade, Some had the struts black

So many differences from aircraft to aircraft. Mine is just a generic one :winkgrin:

Rodders

• Like 4

Nice one, Rodders !,

You have done very well so far with two less-than-perfect kits…..though it is interesting to see that the Matchbox nose fits so well on the even older generation Frog/Novo kit…..just goes to show that they both got the measurements just about right and all that before CAD etc !.

RAF AB-412 decals on the way, BTW.

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1

I found that many if not most HAR Wessexes in RAF service had odd coloured legs

They were changed under service and only repainted when the entire airframe got repainted

My HAR2 had one leg in green and one in black, from photos this seems quite normal

I see you decided against using the Frog/Novo wheels then, I had a hell of a time adding little radiused webs to the Matchbox wheels so I could model a HC2

Your change of mind makes lots more sense

Looking good, yellow suits Walter to a tee

well done I am enjoying this one

• Like 1

I found that many if not most HAR Wessexes in RAF service had odd coloured legs

They were changed under service and only repainted when the entire airframe got repainted

My HAR2 had one leg in green and one in black, from photos this seems quite normal

I see you decided against using the Frog/Novo wheels then, I had a hell of a time adding little radiused webs to the Matchbox wheels so I could model a HC2

Your change of mind makes lots more sense

Looking good, yellow suits Walter to a tee

well done I am enjoying this one

If you look closely the wheels are the Novo ones. Thank you everyone for the kind remarks.

I had a day off from work today and have spent the whole day working on this model only stopping for a cuppa. I am suitably relaxed from work.(I have been working with some very poorly patients)

Bought a C Scale Seaking (Sea king) Mk4 conversion from Ebay for £7 about a month ago so may well do that next

Rodders

Thanks Mark I owe you.

Finished It didn't turn out too bad if I must say so myself, Normal rule look from 5 ft

I'm happy, Put it next to an Italeri one and you can see the difference but what the hell it was done for the fun of the build

Rodders

paint5.jpg

paint6.jpg

• Like 5

That turned out well didnt it :)

If I was to criticise it'ld be the antislip areas on top, I'd expect them in black on a light coloured airframe

But this is a great example of why I like the oldest Wessex kit we have around

It certainly isn't the most inaccurate in shape

Lovely model thanks for letting us in with the build

b

That turned out well didnt it :)

If I was to criticise it'ld be the antislip areas on top, I'd expect them in black on a light coloured airframe

But this is a great example of why I like the oldest Wessex kit we have around

It certainly isn't the most inaccurate in shape

Lovely model thanks for letting us in with the build

b

So would I have but as this photo shows not always

Rodders

paint7.jpg

• Like 1

I've seen that before Rodders, I thought that the grey was darker though

Look I'm not knocking the model mate, I love every variant of Wessex that there's been and all its colour schemes

You have made it look great

I notice the one in the picture has a nice green leg on the port side, I wonder what colour the other side has?

I put black one side, green on t'other on my HAR2

Nothing boring or predictable about dear old Walter

Hope we see any more models you make, I enjoyed your approach to this combination job and I expect great ideas to come along

cheers Rodders

I've seen that before Rodders, I thought that the grey was darker though

Look I'm not knocking the model mate, I love every variant of Wessex that there's been and all its colour schemes

You have made it look great

I notice the one in the picture has a nice green leg on the port side, I wonder what colour the other side has?

I put black one side, green on t'other on my HAR2

Nothing boring or predictable about dear old Walter

Hope we see any more models you make, I enjoyed your approach to this combination job and I expect great ideas to come along

cheers Rodders

I haven't taken it as a dig mate I was using the model decal set on RAF wessexes I have said before it is not a perticullar aircraft but a generic build. You having worked with them are more knowledgeable than I am. I thank you and others for your words of encouragement. I really fancy doing the 771 squadron Wessex 5 I have the italeri kit and the decals may do that one to try out etch bits as I found the brass for the italeri kit

Rodders

Rodders,

Lovely.

Always good to see a Wessex.

Worked on them after joining up way back in the seventies.

The walkway would be non slip paint. About Ocean grey.

Just noticed the kit has a square on the left transmission

platform too. It should only be on the right if you build another.

It's a hinged section that lifts up as you lower the platform

if a winch is fitted.

Pete

• Like 1

Rodders,

Lovely.

Always good to see a Wessex.

Worked on them after joining up way back in the seventies.

The walkway would be non slip paint. About Ocean grey.

Just noticed the kit has a square on the left transmission

platform too. It should only be on the right if you build another.

It's a hinged section that lifts up as you lower the platform

if a winch is fitted.

Pete

Thanks Pete it is good to have such experts as you, Colin & Perdu who can cast an expert eye on it

Rodders

Rodders I am not an expert like those guys but simply a dedicated nut

As I have told elsewhere the nearest I got to operational Walter was loading a bunch of fortunate mates into the beastie then being just a tad sad when up they went and I had to drive our Landy back to exercise HQ at Castlemartin in '77

I have spent hours gaining my WalterWessex anorak badge though ;)

second class

• Like 2

Just stumbled across this build. I love old kits and the way you have managed to make such a superb job out of the Matchbox and Novo kits is excellent.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Tom.

• Like 1