Douglas DC-8-62, SAS (Edit - CV-440 & DC-7c added)

Thanks again guys.

You've just got to do the 9 and 10 now. :pray:

The 9 is lined up and ready to go, I'll chop 2 kits and do a -21 and a -41.

I've also got an Airfix DC-10 with SAS decals, but they are a bit yelllowed and past their best. Anyone know of there are any aftermarket ones?

Fabulous models. I too was taken back to Heathrow of the late sixties and early seventies! What is the interest in SAS?

Thanks. The SAS interest started when I did an out of the box Minicraft DC-6. Then I got a Roden DC-7c and a set of Lima November SAS decals for it. They looked nice together, so I did an Airfix Caravelle with Twosix decals, which made a nice trio, so I did a Welsh models Convair 440 and that went well so, I did an MD-80, then I thought a DC-8 would be nice, the I bought the DC-9 decals. And before I knew what was happening, I reached this stage.

Seriously though, I like the SAS livery and LN decals are very nice, so I can't stop myself.

(I've also got a Braathens theme going :whistle: Blame Ruben.)

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful build, I have always loved airliners but not made one for years, with this and your other builds you have inspirede to have another go. Can't understand why I've not done one yet. The last attempt was and orange 747 when I was a kid.

Long time ago now :)

Soooo beautiful! The old SAS scheme with the viking ship, especially the version of the 60s and 70s (the one at the DC-8) is really great and means true nostalgia for us in Scandinavia. And the CV 440 is even more nostalgia, since this was the first aircraft I ever flew in, as a child in the early 70s, in Linjeflyg livery. Great builds of great aircraft!

Edited by Bjorn

That is a really smashing DC-8 you have brought us here - I really like it very much. I never really paid the DC-8 much attention in my junior years of life and wished now that I had - the last one I saw was flying a freight/cargo service into Antigua about 13 years ago (maybe DHL or similar) when I lived out there for a short while. I walked my dogs early in the morning before it got too hot for them and often saw DC-8's a few days each week as it approached VC Bird.

Thank you for sharing this

• 8 months later...

Sorry to dig up this old thread, this is the most stunningly finished model I have ever seen!

May I ask in which order do you apply the paint; is it grey and then white, or the other way around?

• Like 1

Lovely build. I worked with DC-8s for over 20 years, -54/55, 62 and 63F, and the -62 with JT3D-7 engines was my favourite to. It could carry max payload of over 40 tons for nearly seven hours, the best of the 8s excluding the re-engined CFM-56 ones. Only a handful of 62s still flying now.

Colin

• Like 1

Sorry to dig up this old thread, this is the most stunningly finished model I have ever seen!

May I ask in which order do you apply the paint; is it grey and then white, or the other way around?

Thank you all for the kind comments!

It was first primed with Halfords white primer from a rattle can, followed by Halfords appliance white, also from a rattle can.

The wings were sucha good fit I left them separate and did the coroguard grey from my own blend of Tamya acrylics with the airbrush.

Then it was all masked off and the bare mateal areas done with Humbrol enamel gloss black as a base coat, which was left to dry for a few days. Finally Alclad was used over the black. Polished Aluminium on the fuselage and ordinary Aluminium on the wings. Various areas were then further masked for white aluminium and dark aluminium to give panel variations, and the wings pushed in to place.Oh, and chrome on the intake rings. It's a fair bit of work, but the end result justifies it all I hope.

And the LN decals are superb! I bought them from Ruben in person at Telford. Not only does he do great decals but he's a nice guy too.

Cheers

John

Great looking aircraft and fantastic repressentation, John.

You have now inspired me to find a Mincraft kit to complete a -52 as used by TEAL / Air New Zealand in 1/144.

I have had the beuatiful Flightpath decals sitting around for years - but your work has motivated me to actually get them attached to some paint and plastic!

John,

Wholeheartedly agree with your assertion about favourite airliners….the VC-10 and DC-8 are my favorites too with the Convair 880 and Comet vying for third place. I have built very few airliner kits over the years but your superb build of this DC-8 and recommendations for the Minicraft kit have me sorely tempted. This has got to be one of the nicest airliner models I have seen for a while and I'm sure Ruben (of Lima November Decals and a friend of mine) would be justifiably proud of what you have done with the kit and his decals !.

Well done !