Douglas DC-8-62, SAS (Edit - CV-440 & DC-7c added)

Douglas DC-8-62

1/144 Minicraft (converted), Lima November decals.

DC8-1_zpsc1b35c4e.jpg

After the VC-10, the next best looking airliner is the Douglas DC-8, and the best looking of those are the shorter fuselage versions.
The Minicraft DC-8 series of kits are amongst the very best airliner kits you can get, they are beautifully moulded, accurate, and have flawless fit. It's a funny thing about the Minicraft range, all the Douglas aircraft are really good, and all the Boeing ones are... well, I don't buy them.

This is the 'Hawiian Air' DC-8-63 boxing, with the fuselage cut down to convert it to the shorter -62. Very helpfully the kit has engraved cut lines inside the fuselage to show you where to cut. Other than that, the construction is pretty much straight out of the box. The wings and tailplanes are such a good fit I haven't even bothered to glue them in. They just fit nice and snug on their own.

I've used multiple shades of Alclad on the metal areas, and Halfords appliance white on the fuselage top.

The Lima November decals come in the Longboat scheme for the versions of the DC-8 that SAS used, the 55, 62, 63, and Freighters. A huge number of fleet names & reg's are provided, along with enough cheat line for the longest, that you may need to cut down for your chosen version.

DC8-2_zpsfa179d40.jpg

DC8-3_zps9b2b262c.jpg

DC8-5_zpsa83ec5b8.jpg

DC8-4_zps6e5649ae.jpg

DC8-9_zpsc51f437f.jpg

That's what came out of the fuselage fore and aft of the wing;

DC8-7_zps8e7072c7.jpg

And finally, the 'With something esle' shot. This time the Airfix Caravelle generously given to me when I couldn't find one, by that true gent, Martin Hale, and finished in 26 deacls SAS scheme.

DC8-8_zpsf48a89ce.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

[EDIT] 11/08/2014

Wow, thanks for all the kind comments folks, it is very much appreciated. I thought airliners were very much a minority interest

Loveley models...A Convair 440, Viscount and DC 9 would go well with those two. :winkgrin:

Thanks, Gary I can do one of those. The DC-9 & decals are in the stash waiting its turn, and the Viscount is planned, but I have this one;

DC8-10_zps069d8c6c.jpg

And then it's predecessor, the DC-7C

DC8-11_zpsc99bcd7d.jpg

[/EDIT]

Thanks again everyone.

• Like 37

Loveley models...A Convair 440, Viscount and DC 9 would go well with those two. :winkgrin:

Agree..the DC 8 was a fine looking aeroplane. I Always liked the eight and found it had a presence and grace the 707, itself a very fine aeroplane, just didn't have.

I do like the 707 as well and nothing wrong with it's classic lines...just the Eight is so much better in my opinion.

I saw one recently...albeit a grounded one at Manston. Looked in fine condition, but, sadly she'll never fly again (ZS-OSI). Another one gone.

Thanks for sharing those

• Like 1

A wonderful airliner in one of the best schemes ever to have been applied in my view.

Certain airliners just seem so much better in a certain livery like the DC-10 in Thai or Laker colours or the B707 in the Pan Am colours For me , a DC-8 is synonymous with the SAS livery.

Lovely finish John, and I like the head on shot.

Chris.

• Like 1

Stunning John. I've only ever bought the Minicraft Boeing aircraft and as a result, been put off buying others, but after reading this, I might look out for one.

Love the detail and a great choice of scheme :)

• Like 1

Great build of a real classic, superb. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Delicious, and also magnificent.

Gorgeous tapering of the white / metal on the nose.

I generally use cockpit decals, but now I'm thinking of the transparency. I have an MD-80 and a Caravelle SAS example - thinking I need a DC-8 as well - is there a limit on display space?

Beautiful build.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 2

Now that's pretty special. I went all nostalgic when I saw this - it took me back to Queen's Building at Heathrow in 1966. Granted, I wouldn't have seen a -62 back then, but I picked up a Revell SAS DC-8 from the model shop that used to be there all those years ago to go with my Airfix Comet 4B and Caravelle.

You also seem to have mastered those metallic panels on the wing as well as any I've seen

• Like 1

Thanks folks for all the comments, much appreciated. I've added a CV-440 & DC-7c to the main post.

Agree..the DC 8 was a fine looking aeroplane. I Always liked the eight and found it had a presence and grace the 707, itself a very fine aeroplane, just didn't have.

I do like the 707 as well and nothing wrong with it's classic lines...just the Eight is so much better in my opinion.

Couldn't have put it better myself Gary, agree with you 100% there!

Cheers

John

The build post that keeps on giving...excellent.

Quality work - really enjoyed seeing these.

Chris

All superb. I often felt that the DC-8 was a bit overshadowed by the 707. Then again, I am a bit of a Douglas transport fan. Like the Convair too.