Future reacting with Microsol. Anyone else had this?

dambuster

I regularly used to use Klear and never had any problems when using Microsol, even in excessive quantities on large decals. Recently I have been using Future, the milky varnish, and have had a recurringbproblem with Microsol. There apears to be a reaction which causes white haze to form within the varnish on undecalled areas which is impossible to remove. I am using exactly the same painting technique, Halords rattle can grey plastic primer, Xtracrylix, two coats of Future, decals and microsol.

Has anyone else had this problem and is there a way of removing the discolouration? Is this something to do with the 'milkiness' of Future?

Peter

I have had this experience before, albeit with a different decal setting solution, in my case Solvaset by Walthers.

It was on an old Hasegawa F-9F Panther and the white bloom appeared quite stark against the Gloss Sea Blue scheme.

I tried applying more future over the top to no avail and in the end gently rubbed the white areas back to the Gloss Sea Blue topcoat and reapplied the future.

Slightly off topic, but just found a bottle of Klear in the attic which came to France with me nine years ago, I knew I had one somewhere.

The contents have a slightly yellowish tinge and I can't remember if it was like that originally, can anyone help please?

Dambuster: The milkiness you refer to has happened to me on more than one occasion using the original formula Klear. I left it overnight and it returned to normal - I'm not sure it'd do that if you recoated over the top of it. It might be different with the new stuff, but I'd leave it for a bit and see.

Biggles, my bottles of Klear all have a very slight yellowish tinge to them, but it goes on so thinly it's not noticeable on the model. As the bottle gets used, the remains get more concentrated, and the yellow becomes more noticeable but I've never had it show up against the paintwork when it's applied. Try it on a bit of white scrap and see if you can see the tinge...

Cheers,

Dean

It is still apparent, although very slightly reduced. It was particularly noticeable as it is on a black painted tail. I might just rub it back and repaint.

There were a couple of other areas on medium grey which seem to have sorted themselves out.

Thanks for the replies.

Peter

• 2 months later...

I got impatient and got a fine brush....dipped it in straight Future

Gently brushed it directly onto the white hazy affected area....

And it completely disappeared before my very eyes

Cheers

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, I had this happen on some transfers on an Airfix ship. The milkiness appeared, and did not go away, and I had to repaint the affected area. It happened on two transfers, the second by accident.

The trouble is, I cannot remember the sequencing - though I think I had decided to use the new version (pledge) as the equivalent of micro sol, so settled the transfers into that, then after a couple of minutes popped a drop of microset then the milkiness appeared. Ever since, I have only ever used Pledge or the micro stuff, never both!

Ray