North American Mustang Mark II - FR901

I decided that 11:30 was about the right time to call it a day on this build! In this last phase I dealt with my problem regarding the serial letters by photocopying the ones shown in the 1:72 line drawing in Franks, going over them in pen, painting in the white spaces, sandpapering the back to thin it down and sticking the resultant slip on with white glue. The remaining decals were from a generic Techmod sheet and were, if no less fragile, at least rather simpler!

On the underside I added folded-card compression links to the undercarriage legs and used black painted tissue paper to supply "boots" to them in appropriate places. I also applied some linen-cover paint to simulate doped linen patches over the gun ports and, having noticed what looked like a short mast or pole just forward of the pitot head, used a short length of stretched sprue to supply this. I also drilled, painted in and glazed with clear glue, the three navigation lights under the port wingtip.

On the fuselage I contented myself with marking up a few patches (one with masking tape washed-over with white glue to simulate the darkening effect around the edges of the original, and the other with silver paint) and chipped areas (silver paint again), whilst topside I put some wear on the wing walk and painted in one of those curious L-shaped markings just by the wing walk, using red in conformity with practice on US Mustangs and in the absence of evidence to the contrary.

So that completes my contribution to this group build, with thanks to our Mods Les, Rich and Bob, and my respects to fellow group builders, especially those who have visited or commented on this thread.

Edited by Manipled Mutineer