North American Mustang Mark II - FR901

I come a bit late to the build as I was saving up my project for my summer holiday, which started on 13 July and which I have only just come back from. With my very intermittent internet access I decided to save my updates until I got home, and here is the first of them...

I took as my subject FR901, a P-51A Mustang (Mustang Mk II), used for long-range ferry tank trials. It is illustrated in "The North American P-51 Early Mustang" and on the web, including some very fine photographs on Pozefilms.de. The pictures date from July 1943. For my base kit I used two reboxings of the venerable Frog P-51A/Mustang MkII kit, one from the limited Novo release, and the other from an unidentified Eastern European manufacturer. I cross-kitted, using the main components from the no-name kit (which whilst softer in detail had fewer sink-marks than Novo) with the latter's markedly crisper detailed parts. To supplement this base I also purchased Quickboost exhausts (which I will not now be using as I do not think they are correct for this particular machine) a Pavla canopy and some paper instrument panels. The cockpit fittings came from MPM's P-51 kit, where they had been rendered superfluous by the resin cockpit parts provided. I had already built another iteration of the FROG/Novo kit as FR919 of No. 2 (Army Co-operation) Squadron, and retained and reused the instructions from this kit to support the build.

I chose these kits as they were cheap and readily available and I knew that, although basic, they made-up well. The two base kits together cost around £8, and I got a CBI-theatre P-51A out of the remaining parts, plus leftover decals from when I made FR919. Aftermarket parts came to around £5.50 excluding postage.

Having gathered the necessary parts, my first step was to annotate my instructions with the changes required, to write myself out a step-by-step illustrated build guide and to begin measuring-up the alterations required to the inboard wing leading edge to bring it to the correct profile. I also took the opportunity of researching the detail of the wheel wells.

20140721_102533_zpslkcjid9o.jpg

Edited by Manipled Mutineer
  • Like 2

Having taken care of the cockpit area, I then addressed the wing roots and inner leading edge, with their P-51D type profile. I wasn't convinced (contrary to Franks) that there was enough plastic for a full reprofile, so I decided to settle for something more impressionistic. (This is still a work in progress - the port wing is as moulded, the starboard wing has been reprofiled.)

20140802_114120_zpsrpdwmzaz.jpg

With reference to the detailed plans and isometric drawings in Franks, I corrected the panel lines as far as possible without major changes to things such as flaps (which appear to be a little short). The wings in particular (there appeared to be less to do on the fuselage) display a mixture of scribed and raised panel lines; I tested this combination during my build of the donor kit into a P-51A Mustang of the 1st Air Commando Group, and it looks reasonably cohesive. I also added panel lines (which were previously completely missing) to the tailplanes.

20140802_150330_zpsdxo1otge.jpg

20140802_090953_zps07rblq3u.jpg

• Like 1

20140804_210915-1_zpsulopghis.jpg

In order to test the concept, I tried out the scribing on the wings, tailplanes and fuselages of the donor kit and then put it together, using one of the decal options from the FROG boxing, as a North American Mustang P-51A of the 1st Air Commando Group, India, 1944. I also had a go at the wing reprofile, with mixed results.

20140804_210849-1_zpsqflwamqq.jpg

20140804_210900-1_zpstsg41mnw.jpg

20140804_210937-1_zps58oabbsz.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

So, after having lost inspiration for a while, I came back to this build this weekend. I did some fairly "bitty" work, including having another go at the wing root leading edges, blanking off the rear exhaust vent, thinning the tailwheel doors and looking for a passable tailwheel assembly in the spares box, and trimming the cockpit assembly to improve the fit. I also attempted to remove some of the teacup-sized rivets for which this kit is infamous:

IMG_20140913_150120_zpskt0jsla_edit_1410

• Like 1

I thought that it was "get your finger out time", so this weekend I put it all together and gave an undercoat of Hu11 to show up any blemishes and to provide the basis for some weathering later. I also filed out a bit of an aperture for the wing landing light (I'll decide how to fill it later) and added some "blobs" to the upper wings to represent the missing upper wing lights. I also tried to use my Pavla canopy but unfortunately it is a little short, so I had in the end to use the kit canopy, which is rather thick but otherwise accurate. The undercarriage has been assembled but will not be attached to the airframe until later in the build. I also added in a scratchbuilt card and sprue wheel well and rear spar to give an impression of detail.

IMG_20140921_094801_zpskpwkbnba.jpg

IMG_20140921_094811_zpsuzpdpk4s.jpg

IMG_20140921_094834_zpszthapkdd.jpg

IMG_20140921_094834_zpszthapkd_edit_1411

• Like 1

Taking shape...

IMG_20140927_142210_zpsqatguxoz.jpg

Can you guess what it is yet...?

IMG_20140927_160709_zps8qxlqd3x.jpg

IMG_20140927_160738_zpsr9gmzqyg.jpg

This weekend I decided I wanted to make some real progress so, after a little tinkering (putting a "wire" down from the antenna socket to the cockpit rear decking, finally sanding off the nubs representing guns, adding trim tab linkages, etc, I finally turned to the 150-gallon long range ferry tanks. It was these that had first attracted me to this subject but I had been putting off tackling them as I simply didn't know how to approach them, as I quickly found out that there didn't seem to be any aftermarket solution out there. In the end, after faffing about with card and other media, I decided to try balsa wood, a new medium for me but the only logical one left. Using a combination of the useful side view in Franks, together with my best estimates of the width (taken from a head-on photograph) and overall plan (interpreted from a number of isometric views), I made some templates which I then drew around straight onto the wood. Cutting this out gave me my basic shape, which I then shaped and refined with a nail file to produce a reasonable approximation of the real thing, subjext to the addition of cardboard washers at the front edge to assist with the fitting to the wing (the balsa strip I was using not having quite enough depth to furnish the whole thing. I then made holes to accommodate the underwing hardpoints (which I left on to provide more surface area for adhesion, and stuck the whole together. Next weekend, more painting and final assembly (if I can find the necessary decals...)

• Like 2

A first stab at the paint scheme. From the photos available I believe that this aircraft carried a slight variation on the original (Ducimus calls it "A") scheme, and so have painted accordingly. I may go over the Hu30 with something darker.

1412032885269_zpscrhqqhm1.jpg

• Like 1