*FINISHED*Pit Road GWH Vulcan B2 Corrections Wraparound scheme XL444.

Part of my curiosity with photos such as the one that nimrod54 posted is to determine whether any of those major components shown in a particular photo belong to an airframe that is still in existence today….preserved or even flying. Could it be that one of those wing or intake sections belongs to the sole flying example of the Vulcan ?. Obviously this is quite impossible to determine unless you have one of those shots showing one of these major components 'end on' because you can quite often see the serial or registration number of the particular aircraft. Its of course also easier to imagine with 'short run' aircraft, such as the Vulcan, VC.10, Nimrod etc but it would be fun though nigh impossible to do some detective work of this nature.

Yes fascinating and fun. I think looking at the photos they look like the bigger B2 intakes. So it must be well into the production.

Also If anyone out there has photos of XL444 when she was in the wrap around scheme I would love to see them to paint this one. I need a top surface and under-surface shot

Cheers Rob ;)

Yes fascinating and fun. I think looking at the photos they look like the bigger B2 intakes. So it must be well into the production.

Also If anyone out there has photos of XL444 when she was in the wrap around scheme I would love to see them to paint this one. I need a top surface and under-surface shot

Cheers Rob ;)

Way back, I was based at RAF St Athan when they did the major servicing on the Vulcan fleet. AFAIK, the wraparound scheme was a standard design that was applied in our paintshop after servicing (for those jets sporting the old scheme) and certainly the portrayals of the wraparound scheme in the variety of books and references I have would bear this out. Of course, it is possible that there was a minor variation on XL444 but a very good reference for both the top and bottom surfaces of the Vulcan in the wraparound scheme is either the Aviation Workshop Publications Limited 'On Target' Profile book on the V-bombers or the associated decal sheets that were released with this book - they used the same profiles in both the book and decal sheet. You can still get the book from the Aviation Bookshop in Tunbridge Wells or the decals from Hannants although someone may be able to do a scan….actually, Ill see if I can do the decal sheet placement instructions if I have them.

Mark

• Like 1

Way back, I was based at RAF St Athan when they did the major servicing on the Vulcan fleet. AFAIK, the wraparound scheme was a standard design that was applied in our paintshop after servicing (for those jets sporting the old scheme) and certainly the portrayals of the wraparound scheme in the variety of books and references I have would bear this out. Of course, it is possible that there was a minor variation on XL444 but a very good reference for both the top and bottom surfaces of the Vulcan in the wraparound scheme is either the Aviation Workshop Publications Limited 'On Target' Profile book on the V-bombers or the associated decal sheets that were released with this book - they used the same profiles in both the book and decal sheet. You can still get the book from the Aviation Bookshop in Tunbridge Wells or the decals from Hannants although someone may be able to do a scan….actually, Ill see if I can do the decal sheet placement instructions if I have them.

Mark

Hi Mark thanks for that yes all Vulcan's follow a basic arrangement / pattern for how the green snakes around. But each one was slightly different and all are unique. I like to try and replicate this so they look like the real thing as best as I can replicate.

For example XL426 and XL444 both wear the same scheme but each one looks a little different,

Cheers Rob ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Right then a quick update on this one.

I have painted XL444 who General Melchett informs me was known as "Trouble 4" Due to its constant oil leaks into the ECM bay and being a hangar queen photos of her in the air in the scheme chosen are rare. So I will have to improvise the top and bottom surface pattern from others.

I have brushed her all over with Revell Aqua Gelbolive which looks gorgeous in shade to my eye and I can't wait to get her ready for the DSG.

I have repainted the TFR thimble as in photos of her during her 50sqn days she has a white front, black mid section and what looks like a hemp(ish) coloured fairing at the back, so I am trying to emulate this as it looks cool. So I am trying a masking technique I have not tried before using a brush of klear over the masking tape between colour applications.

Here's were I am at.

BBAD38FE-203F-4396-B934-BF8A6DC2D078-320

CF04B95E-D0AB-452E-AA09-B206E5D6301F-320

9E855277-DA64-40C7-8A76-B8DD8FD6C5CD-320

cheers Rob ;)

• Like 2

That's a great finish for brush painting Rob and you have made a nice job of repainting the thimble.

Cheers John its 3 coats in total done with the flow improver though I had to add a bit more than normal great paint the Revell Aqua and this shade of gelbolive is gorgeous. a nice deep green with a brown tint. Reminds me of a nice autumn walk in the forest. :)

Well the blue take took a while but not as long as it used to take me. I heat up the blue tak on my laptops battery and then using scissors cut strips then roll them on a flat surface under a piece of car (blue take packing)

This saves your fingers and takes seconds to make a long even sausage to drape on to the pattern desired.

Then I just cut lumps off of approximate size and shape to fill the gaps. Took about 3 hours and 3 packs of Blue tak at a cost of 1 quid each from tesco.

Now its time for that DSG :thumbsup:

7FDE7D02-36F0-4B7B-9931-354F0EEE63D4-320

18936BBF-4EF7-459B-9EEE-32A522251B78-320

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

Ooh thats going to look nice when the blue tak comes off! It may be a bore to do, but I agree that you get the best results this way.

Waiting with interest Rob, get a move on!

Cheers

john

• Like 1

HAHA yes I should have shares in Blue tak I get through loads of the stuff. I could probably build a Blue Tak man to envy a snow man this Christmas.

I had to improvise the scheme and used XL444 were I could mixed with elements from XL389 and XL445 and used XM575 for the undersides.

I will be using the Wolf Pack decals and I see they only give the camo pattern for 558s top and bottom surfaces which are quite unique compared to other wraparounds, Especially were the roundels sit almost central to the wing which is unique to 558.

Getting there now.

;)

I bet she weighs a wee bit more too Rob, good job that it's only 1/144th scale otherwise you would be having a workout just picking her up.

She does indeed but not as heavy as when I did XH558 in 1/72 took a good day to do and about 12 packs of tak !..

Well here she is in the DSG. Its worth it as its such good fun taking off the blue tak. I give her some gentle mists of the Humbrol 164 spray can direct from the can. Wonderful paint.

F3C5FE25-C797-4543-AB36-10D30FCF42C0-320

4F091325-93C7-4592-922B-0A1A225B4A22-320

I am very happy how the Gelbolive colour works with the DSG looks great to my eye and much more like the real green than the call outs Revell prescribe from their range. Which look insipid pale and too vivid. This looks grand to me. I am happy with it at least. ;)

FF0CB5F0-637B-4EB2-A436-8B726511D650-320

91E4716B-6241-407A-B706-6309F46003BF-320

9CF519EE-85C4-46B9-A401-918E7FB8ECBD-320

Now for the exhausts and other details then the decals.. Oh and the wheels. ;)

Cheers Rob :yahoo:

• Like 2

:thumbsup: Looking superb.

Might have to dig another one of mine out soon

Edited by McYellowbelly
  • Like 1

:thumbsup: Looking superb.

Might have to dig another one of mine out soon

Cheers Mate and go for it your last one looks fab and would look better with another stood next to it. Look forward to your thread :)

Well I have took more masks off and I am so happy with how this is looking.

23A37397-2C86-4636-A987-A227ED2ED087-320

97472C00-BB44-48C7-9860-063010159955-320

Its hard to photgraph but I am very happy with the look of the tinted windows I did. I have since noticed that its only the central 3 that have the tint (well seems that way ) But I am happy with it as it adds that look of age to this Vulcan which is what I wanted. Rather than clinical perfectly clear glass.

926EB5F8-ED9A-4B05-94CB-60B5ACAC4D0A-320

Brings out that menacing look I think and for some reason reminds me of that smell in the pit Vulcan's have.

5296CB93-47A3-43D7-9575-661D5E91CA87-320

EB55874D-F22C-4BC9-902D-44533C658BC6-320

The TFR Thimble looks nice too It was a stress masking the Hemp but a punched out disk of Tamiya tape sorted that with a Keyhole shape cut in with an exacto knife.

D77363E9-E108-444E-A14C-0C36F12E0CE1-320

And now for a study in colour. Here you can see my first Pit Road Vulcan from 2012 back then HU164 was not available in a spray can from Humbrol so I used their HU27 which is ok but not for DSG but not quite right being more blue than purple, However it does feature HU163 which is the "Right" Colour but to me looks too green for some Vulcans and its not the same colour as it was 20 years ago. I really must say I prefer the look of the Gelbolive right or wrong it looks more how I see them in my mind and well I am chuffed to bits with it.

I don't mind experimenting with colours as its all fun to me and gives me more excuses to build more Vulcan's. I just like sharing my experiments so others can if they wish do the same. ;)

54369528-2B3B-4D7B-A26F-CB4948FEE689-320

E4319E13-E365-4896-B05A-D156DF7AA208-320

I am really enjoying this build I can't wait to see her on her wheels. However I am going to temporally fit some Corgi wheels I have which although basic are actually much more accurate in stance/ height and angle of the struts than the PR parts which I have been correcting in some ways and started to mold them.

For now Cheers Rob :frantic:

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 3

Looks fantastic Rob, that's great work mate. I must pick some of these up. I did get a couple of 1/200 scale models a little while back but the schemes available seem to be limited to the two options in the kit at the moment.

very nice progress!

I like your multiple builds!

Thanks very much, Multiple builds ?. I do have a lot of build threads going at the moment The Valiant needs my attention next but today I needed to do some painting as I have shifted a tonne of wood today for the fire. Decided I would save my hands for the sanding later.

Then there are all the other builds. Its kinda nice to keep changing between things. Never used to do it but it keeps you fresh but the work load does seem a bit daunting. But then I remind myself I love doing it and have learned to just enjoy each part of the process that way it never seems to much or a labour and more just fun even sanding or filling which I used to despise.

Cheers :)

Looks fantastic Rob, that's great work mate. I must pick some of these up. I did get a couple of 1/200 scale models a little while back but the schemes available seem to be limited to the two options in the kit at the moment.

Cheers John mate. go for it the Pit Road /GWH kit is a great kit as are the 1/200 kits which are actually more accurate in many ways. As for decal options your right there are not many but you can still model many Vulcans with what there is available. More so if you get the falklands boxing which includes the later tail fin and the later bombay plus many useful decals.

However there are a plenty of Vulcans with little or no badges to model in most schemes. What would you like to model given the choice ?

A little more Paining this time the ECM plates between the engine tunnels. I cant find underside shots of XL444 but I can see that she had twin ECM and many of the wrap around Vulcans (not all) seem to have them painted a funny yucky grey/hemp(ish) or even stained white.

I like the look of it but did not want to do white as it would look too stark so I used Barley grey and mixed in some hemp to give it a look similar to the nose on Tornado F3s. It might not be right but as an approximation it will do for me seeing as the real things got so dirty here its hard to judge.

A93EF5E2-BB11-4F46-B2B9-4BA538D2C22C-320

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

I always wondered what was going on between the engines, now I know it's ECM, that's two things I've learned today, I need a rest!

Indeed mate though what it all does is magic I me.

Some B2's had one others had two, some early ones had none.

The reason some had two was apparently ex blue steel aircraft needing two to see past the blue steel missile.

I don't know of this is true though as some blue steel aircraft only had one. To add to the confusion some airframes were different at different times. Plus B1s never had them but all B1a aircraft had just the one.

When I was a kid I wondered if they were deployable skis to Allow landing in snow lol.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 2

Well things take longer than you think don't they.

I thought I would be at the decals by now but I spent some time. Probably too much time on the various fibreglass panels.

The colour on these varies but its usually a tan/brown colour or sometimes painted black, green etc.

Some appear hemp and they mostly look very patchy grubby and display a multitude of colour.

So I spent time layering thin layers of hemp, tan, khaki, olive drab, tamiya smoke, barley grey and anthracite black to vary the panels and try to emulate the look of the real XL444 with the P shape one on the tail being darker and the central panel in the spine being much more toward a hemp colour.

56AC2F1C-2FDD-4C56-8831-36A961ED8244-241

001EC26B-9F35-4DEE-8842-12C2941474B8-241

The ECM plates were given a wash of Tamiya smoke mixed with W&N Flow Improver to get a grubby look, This reminds me of this ones troubles of leaking oil into the ECM area and being a hangar queen hence the nickname "Trouble 4" Apparently.

Also the Fibreglass bump on the ECM cone picked out. The Exhaust cans were painted with Revell Aqua anthracite and the insides normal matt black. I thought I would give it a go as sometimes pure black looks too much, It seems to work and blend in better this way.

74C9B973-29AE-4622-AAD2-104988F347CB-241

The wheel wells were brushed white and mixed with Citadel nuln oil on the last coat to make the paint patchy and dirty inside.

8B29587C-16B3-478A-B8B8-A288DEFDE354-241

The bomb aimers window was picked out in black and the hemp ring on the TFR thimble coated in some tamiya smoke to give the stained look.

4556F18C-192A-426A-8361-A5EA3D14B4DE-241

A4249AED-9B9D-4568-8670-82D485FCA3C1-241

930C4853-D32E-42F0-B913-2662B45E0536-241

Thats all for now. Cheers Rob :)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 2

Many thanks John. I love the wrap around scheme I think anything would look good painted in it.

I am looking forward to actually hopefully getting something in RFI this year as I seem to be stuck in WIP this year. Fun all the same though ;)

Update time. She now had a few sponged on coats of Klear and the decals started to be applied.

I have used the Wolfpack Roundels which are the right size on the fuselage of 54" rather than the 48" and the Numbers as these are the right style for XL444

I don't Know why PR chose to do 48" roundels, As far as I am aware they were always 54". I could be wrong but now it explains why I thought something looked off on my model of XL427 which has the 48" on.

The Circular radar panels are from the Fundekals sheet as I was feeling lazy and they are the right colour for 444.

The decals were applied with Klear, Mircrosol and Microset and are so far performing very well.

I think the 54" decals make a difference shes not done yet but I am a very happy modeller so far.

728E8F7A-0599-47FE-886D-34AB6877557F-544

3130A6E2-D5E4-46DB-B4F2-ED7CB87D987D-544

• Like 2

Cheers John mate. go for it the Pit Road /GWH kit is a great kit as are the 1/200 kits which are actually more accurate in many ways. As for decal options your right there are not many but you can still model many Vulcans with what there is available. More so if you get the falklands boxing which includes the later tail fin and the later bombay plus many useful decals.

However there are a plenty of Vulcans with little or no badges to model in most schemes. What would you like to model given the choice ?

Well I guess inevitably one would have to be XH558 just to keep my 'Little Snapdragon' happy, due to her being a member of the VTTS club. Then I suppose I would have to do XM603 having seen her on my visits to the Woodford factory from Chadderton, especially now that there is a plan to get her out of the elements and into a new museum on the site. After these I would be open to suggestions.

Your model looks great and the green shade for the wrap around looks good against the grey. :goodjob:

• Like 1

Well I guess inevitably one would have to be XH558 just to keep my 'Little Snapdragon' happy, due to her being a member of the VTTS club. Then I suppose I would have to do XM603 having seen her on my visits to the Woodford factory from Chadderton, especially now that there is a plan to get her out of the elements and into a new museum on the site. After these I would be open to suggestions.

Your model looks great and the green shade for the wrap around looks good against the grey. :goodjob:

Good choices particularly XM603 something unusual and easy to paint. If you want to do those however you should pick up a couple of the Falklands boxings as these have decals for 558 in the display scheme and the free fall bomb bay.

Yep I am very happy with the Colours it looks to me smack on how RAF green used to look from Humbrol and in reality. It seems the new approximation they offer looks too pale to me as If it represents a slightly faded modern type paint, You know the sort that turns insipid lurid green as it fades rather than the rich brownish green that turned brown from the old type paint.

Whatever it is I will be useing Revell Gelbolive a lot now.

Nearly there with the decals then its time for the wheels. I have part scratch build the front leg to make a mold of to correct the height or at least the nose angle.

But I may use some corgi wheels and remove the seam and paint them to match as I have something planed for the wheels which may take a while to achieve so some temporary blue tak'd corgi wheels might do for now.

I am now waiting for the photos of the top surface and bottom surface to show up now I have finished painting her as did when I made XL427 haha.

can't get enough of these Vulcans. Got my eyes on something different though the Zyvezda 747-800 oooo what a nice looker that thing is.

Regarding suggestions of Vulcans that you could do for your kits I guess your limited to white or 60s camo with the blue steel but if you want to milliput that over then there are plenty of options.

• Like 1