FROG NOVO 1/96 Lancaster B1

John Aero = John Adams who IS Aeroclub models.

regarding 1/96th-1/100 scale...intereting thread here - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36096-1100-scale/

just so it does not get lost in the above link - originally posted by Panoz in post #54

http://www.familie-wimmer.com/hobby/hr06/hr06-ami/index.html

fascinating read.

cheers

T

Thanks for clearing that up I thought he was but wanted to be sure, Cool to know who IS Aeroclub. I still need to make my Aeroclub Venom build thats on here,..

Thanks for the links I am fascinated by stuff like this so I will give them a good read.

Cheers Rob :)

Been following this thread with great interest. I have always believed that the first model I ever made was a Wellington which my grandfather bought me on one of our Sunday outings. At this point you need to know that I was somewhere between 8 & 10 years old, a long long time ago so consequently my memory is somewhat less than total on the matter. However I remember the model, it was moulded in black plastic and came with 3 little gel capsules that you used to get in kits, one of glue, one of dark earth & one of green paint. I always thought it was a Frog kit & seemed to think it that it was about 1/100 scale. However after all the discussions & lists in this current round of posts I'm no longer sure, anybody got any answers? (Eagle perhaps?)

Cheers glad your enjoying it, I should hopefully update soon I keep getting distracted with thing delaying me did my back in yesterday and finding it hard to do anything so soon as its cleared up I will get back on it.

Your kit reminds me of the Lincoln International, Kader, Hawk line of kits which came in a small box and made up into very nice little models. I have the Victor and Valiant, But they did many more including a sunderland IIRC, But the little karvol type balloon capsules are in FROG 1/96 Boxes all my Vulcans, Victors and Valiants have these in. Just glue though no paint.

I have not heard of Eagle but I will be looking now as I adore classic kits.

Yes. I remember that one and I am sure that it was Frog. Came in a fairly small box so was around 1/96 or more probably 1/100. I seem to recall that the fuselage was very "ribbed" representing the fabric and stringers. Bought mine in Gloucester in Fletchers opposite the Bon Marche store when the bus station was just outside and before they moved the bus station to the old Cattle Market. I also recall a very small "Bison" (Revell ? - fit the box scale ?) that must have been 1/144 or even 1/200 - in green plastic. There was also a "Bounder" to the same scale as the "Bison" but I could not afford both so I chose the "Bison". I think that they were both around 10 shillings back in the 50's (10 shillings = 50p !!).

HTH

Dennis

Edit:- I think it is about time we got back to Rob and his Lancaster - before I start feeling very very Old !!.

DR

Dennis please don't worry I would very much like this type of conversation to continue I do not see it as off topic (and I really don't mind off topic at all)

I like my builds to be relaxed and if that means general chit chat while the build is taking place that suits me as I like it to be social that's why I post here.

The subject of classic kits particularly 1/96, 1/100, 1/80, 1,87 or any odd scale interests me. Its a great scale, This Lancaster and Frog Vulcans I am restoring are to be displayed together for the Bomber Command table, 1 Vulcan which I have a thread for will be white, The other which needs a lot of TLC will have the cone enlarged and become a B1a.

I am curious about the Wellington as it would be nice to get more Bomber Command Aircraft in this Scale.

Cheers Rob ;)

Rob...I'm still trying to wrap my head around the reason for freezing the parts in water. Thats a new one for me.

Les its just a case of increasing the chances of getting a cleaner break to the parts, If you soak the parts in water, The water will make its way into any microscopic cavities in the glue lines which do bubble. The water when frozen expands and makes the glue brittle, This makes it easier to break apart a built up model and clean up the parts to enable a rebuild.

It works pretty well and got my parts apart no problem.

Cheers Rob ;)

If you're still having a dilemma about markings, may I suggest CanMilAir? Bill prints to order, and 1/96 is one of his standard options. He's got 17 different lancaster sheets on offer, mostly RCAF, but check out page 17...

Cheers for that Jessica I will be sure to check that out :) ,

Taa Rob ;)

Interesting link to the smaller scale kits, but I recall adverts for a Faller Me109 (or even Bf109) and Faller produced a number of other subjects - maybe Ju87 and Ju52. These were I/100, memory suggests. Anything in 1/87 is linked to the Continental model railway scale H0, which was also popular in military modelling with Roco's (Riko?) wide range of tanks, trucks etc.

I had the Frog Wellington too - also the Hampden which only appears in the above list under Triang although the Blenheim appears as both. Never had the Lanc, however.

• Like 1

Interesting link to the smaller scale kits, but I recall adverts for a Faller Me109 (or even Bf109) and Faller produced a number of other subjects - maybe Ju87 and Ju52. These were I/100, memory suggests. Anything in 1/87 is linked to the Continental model railway scale H0, which was also popular in military modelling with Roco's (Riko?) wide range of tanks, trucks etc.

I had the Frog Wellington too - also the Hampden which only appears in the above list under Triang although the Blenheim appears as both. Never had the Lanc, however.

A Ju52 would be very nice, I would love for a revival of 1/100 1/96 I think it would benefit from accurate model buildings such as Hangars etc, Same for 1/144th, Imagine the dios you could make.

Amazing how much smaller the Faller 1/100 Viscount is compared to the 1/96 FROG Viscount 800 or Glencoe Viscount 700.

Oddly my two favoutite scales are 1/96 and 1/125.

Never knew Faller did aircraft kits till today, I must check them out they make wonderful Building kits so I am sure their aircraft with be the same.

Not quite 1/125, but the Lincoln/Kadar Viscount is 1/120 (or 1/121). I've just asked for a reduced scale reprint of the S&M BEA red square markings for it.

I did not know they did custom scale reprints, This I will have to check out as I am on the look out for a decal company that produces custom order decals as I need some printed in white..

I have not had chance to update yet but hopefully later, However I have just made a purchase of some new paints on this build that I might well use.

I used to always use enamels and much as I have come to love acrylics recently I have missed using enamels. I might even dig out the airbrush or I might just brush paint them.

But I have recently discovered that Pheonix Precision Paints which I always remember for being amazing quality and accuracy of railway colours in my teens now do a great range of dedicated military colors for various air-forces and navy,

The RAF one is 4 pages long and I have bought some to try. They even do 2 shades for roundel colours dull and bright, Plus Nato and standard green.

I can't wait to try them. I think the nostalgia factor of this build has transported me back to the whiff of enamels. YUM !

http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/precision-paints/military-colours.html

P1030348.jpg

• Like 1

Re custom scale reprints. It is mentioned on the S&M website, but only for their laser-printed items. I spoke to Nick Webb on their stand at Telford, and he asked me to send him an email after the show. Which I did, asking for the price, but he has yet to respond. His business card says Classic-Airlines.com.

I bought a lot of Precision aircraft paints when they first offered them (and some railway) though I still have quite a number of them. When Phoenix Precision reappeared they did not originally offer the full range, so it is good to see that they do now.

• Like 1

Re custom scale reprints. It is mentioned on the S&M website, but only for their laser-printed items. I spoke to Nick Webb on their stand at Telford, and he asked me to send him an email after the show. Which I did, asking for the price, but he has yet to respond. His business card says Classic-Airlines.com.

I bought a lot of Precision aircraft paints when they first offered them (and some railway) though I still have quite a number of them. When Phoenix Precision reappeared they did not originally offer the full range, so it is good to see that they do now.

Cool I will check that out, And yes Great to see Pheonix Precision Paints back. I am keen to see what they are like.

I am surprised they even have a dedicated Night Black authentic colour so thought I would try that too,

I need to update myself on techniques for enamels and what primers to use, How to get around using along side acylics etc. But I think It would be nice to trial them on this Lanc whatever.

Faller did the Convair 440 and Noratlas for sure plus a few others. The Viscount mould was definitely scrapped and I think a lot of the other none railway moulds were.

This was during a clearout and revamp of the product line.

I always thought there railway buildings etc were too colourful and bright. Now I have travelled through Europe...well, they are like that/

Edited by garryrussell
  • Like 1

Faller did the Convair 440 and Noratlas for sure plus a few others. The Viscount mould was definitely scrapped and I think a lot of the other none railway moulds were.

This was during a clearout and revamp of the product line.

I always thought there railway buildings etc were too colourful and bright. Now I have travelled through Europe...well, they are like that/

Yes they are happier with all the sunshine their buildings reflect this. It seems.

I think the kits are also coloured in fun colour plastics for kids and to enable people who don't want to paint them to just slap em together.

I must check out the Faller range and see what they do these days.

Cheers Rob ;)

Forgot...the aeroplanes could be fittedf with a small electric motor, which, in those days was impossible to get locally.

Pre internet, credit cards, Paypal etc. was a very different world.

me 262 ans Starfighter and a light plane of some sort seems to ring a bel, but I'm civil orientated

• Like 1

Forgot...the aeroplanes could be fittedf with a small electric motor, which, in those days was impossible to get locally.

Pre internet, credit cards, Paypal etc. was a very different world.

me 262 ans Starfighter and a light plane of some sort seems to ring a bel, but I'm civil orientated

The mail away days. I remember them The 80s was the final time of that I think. I can remember Transformers toys used to have special mail away only toys. Cereal packets too used to have tokens to collect then send away for toys such as matchbox spitfire and hurricanes. It seemed more fun then,

Rob :)

I take it we are talking about the frog Britannia, I have the Eastern Express one on the stash another kit I can't wait to get to. I have the RAF one and want to finish it as such but I believe the fuselarge is also too short, I am tempted to ignore that but know I will look at it and see it's wrong.

Beautiful kit though and an impressive size to.

I hope the reissue the VC-10 too :)

See my post above this re RAF Brit

Nice work Rob, sorry only just caught up with this, I remember you mentioning at Telford that you'd made progress. I wouldn't worry too much about the cockpit interior, just remember the yellow disc on the back of the pilots armoured seat ! Yep I agree with you re the FROG 1/96th models and having most of them in the collection they are a very handy size, (hopefully I'll have the Vulcan finished quite soon). Whilst the Brit and Comet were 1/96th remember the Super VC10 was 1/144th, a nice model though, I think you saw my NOVO repop last time you were up. Faller did quite a few aircraft, one that pops up at shows now and then is the F-4E Phantom...no idea how accurate it is mind....

• Like 1

While we're waiting for Rob's glue to dry. The Frog Wellington was around 1/115th scale the Blenheim was 1/82 , pity because they would have been super in 1/96. The Hampden is 1/98th and their DC.7c is 1/96.. The Faller Ju.52 , I was going to do one of mine as as a Toucan, along with a Nordatlas and a Revell Neptune in French markings.

Amazing how this scale sparks discussion.

John

• Like 2

While we're waiting for Rob's glue to dry. The Frog Wellington was around 1/115th scale the Blenheim was 1/82 , pity because they would have been super in 1/96. The Hampden is 1/98th and their DC.7c is 1/96.. The Faller Ju.52 , I was going to do one of mine as as a Toucan, along with a Nordatlas and a Revell Neptune in French markings.

John

Thanks for that John, good to know that I'm not as demented as I thought I may have been, I was beginning to think maybe I'd invented that Wellington, although I was pretty sure about it. I'd love to get my hands on one some day, that model changed my life by sparking a life long fascination with aviation & all things scale modelling. I don't suppose you'd consider releasing some of your 1/100 scale projects at some point, I realise what a big ask this is. I did try persuading you about 16 or 17 years ago when you gave a couple of talks at my IPMS branch but obviously unsuccessfully. How about crowd funding? there certainly seems to be a bit of interest on this thread.

Also like to thank Rob for allowing us to hijack his thread!!

Edited by spaddad
  • Like 1

Not forgetting the Caravelle, (if not already mentioned), which was also 1/96th....

Rob I've got a spare Frog britannia fuselage you can have as a doner to get the correct length, you can pick it up when you get up here.....

There was also a "Bounder" to the same scale as the "Bison" but I could not afford both so I chose the "Bison". I think that they were both around 10 shillings back in the 50's (10 shillings = 50p !!).

Dennis, that Bounder would have been the extremely rare Aurora kit, (boxed as 'nuclear powered bomber' !), and they go for crazy prices now, ...not surprisingly it's highly inaccurate.

Anyhoo did someone mention a Lanc once...!

• Like 2

ROB !!

your PM box must be full as I have just had a message that you cannot receive any messages.

I have just re-sent Parts 1 and 3 of the Vulcan shots and have one in draft to send later. PM me when you get them please.

Dennis

• Like 1

Nice work Rob, sorry only just caught up with this, I remember you mentioning at Telford that you'd made progress. I wouldn't worry too much about the cockpit interior, just remember the yellow disc on the back of the pilots armoured seat ! Yep I agree with you re the FROG 1/96th models and having most of them in the collection they are a very handy size, (hopefully I'll have the Vulcan finished quite soon). Whilst the Brit and Comet were 1/96th remember the Super VC10 was 1/144th, a nice model though, I think you saw my NOVO repop last time you were up. Faller did quite a few aircraft, one that pops up at shows now and then is the F-4E Phantom...no idea how accurate it is mind....

Cheers mate, Progress is slow just because I wanted to try and add something to the insides, I am now getting tempted to push mold new glazing but Think this could be a step too far, I also want to just try and make the old girl look her best as is to show off what A good kit it is, So will probably leave it, but The glazing is thick as you can get. At least its strong and will protect the chaps from Gerry.

I thought your VC-10 skybolt was Airfix, I have not seen your other model, I have only seen your concept art. Yep We both need to get our Vulcans made soon. I will sort the bits soon as I can. For the other one I have smashed up I am going to have to scale some drawings to stratch myself an ECM/RCM cone.

As that will be a Camo B1a, I am not sure what guise yours will be but the B1a will be Camo, The other I will do white but try to differentiate it from yours if you do white, I might do XH498 after it was Kiwi Zapped on the inner front gear doors after its "Heavy landing"...

I did not know about the Phantom I will have to check it out sometime, Phantoms I love but so far only made one the matchbox offering, Not the best but fun all the same. I have started getting into bigger scales too, My 1/32 Harrier GR1 Arrived last night and It was such a good experience to open the box of a big kit and see a large airframe inside, Because the parts are so big it was like being a kid with a 1/72 Harrier, (They seem smaller now I am older)

I sent you an email BTW .

Cheers Sar Rob :)

John

I take it these are the Fit the Box sort, They do have a charm of their own, I too am surprised that this scale is generating interest I thought most would not care for it,

I wonder if anyone did a Harrier around this scale. I don't know what it is but some planes seem to suite certain scales better than others, I think its to do with how the plane in real life is viewed at a certain distance were you can take in the whole thing, So a certain size model will scale to your eyes relatively, For example a Canberra In 1/48th seems so much more real to me than a 1/72, But I find the opposite with something like a Vulcan and smaller scales seem more real as I have to be further away in real life to take it all in. Something like a Harrier looks best in 1/32 up, That's just to my eyes. But whatever the scale I enjoy any model.

Neptunes.. They keep popping up as I surf the web I do like the look of that beast. :)

Ahhhh..the smell of enamels and all their associated solvents. Just don't buy a yellow and red paint, and no listening to Tull when using said paints

Yes its a Smell I have missed, I had a quick go with an old humbrol yesterday on a scrap plane and really enjoyed brushing it, But I need to thin it. Funnily enough I had a thing for Red and Yellow paint when I was a Lad, I painted a 1/72 Buccaneer with it, Except it was crimson and yellow, Looked sore.. I think I was trying to replicate the Jindvick look.

:)

Thanks for that John, good to know that I'm not as demented as I thought I may have been, I was beginning to think maybe I'd invented that Wellington, although I was pretty sure about it. I'd love to get my hands on one some day, that model changed my life by sparking a life long fascination with aviation & all things scale modelling. I don't suppose you'd consider releasing some of your 1/100 scale projects at some point, I realise what a big ask this is. I did try persuading you about 16 or 17 years ago when you gave a couple of talks at my IPMS branch but obviously unsuccessfully. How about crowd funding? there certainly seems to be a bit of interest on this thread.

Also like to thank Rob for allowing us to hijack his thread!!

I am always glad to have a thread Hijacked Its only natural that a given subject will be linked to a wider subject of interest and I too would love to see John release 1/100 scale or 1/96 scale models but only if its a safe bet. These days its probably easier to gauge if first a Facbook closed group dedicated to the scale and a supporting SIG and Forum were created specifically for this to test the interest and grow that interest. There are probably many of us out there all quiet thinking were a minority when actually there could be loads who would be into that scale. I am sure with that more would join as the community grew, Kits and AM would follow with that trend if it developed. I would be happy to have ago as for this one of my props is bent so I am going to make some resin replacements.

Not forgetting the Caravelle, (if not already mentioned), which was also 1/96th....

Rob I've got a spare Frog britannia fuselage you can have as a doner to get the correct length, you can pick it up when you get up here.....

Dennis, that Bounder would have been the extremely rare Aurora kit, (boxed as 'nuclear powered bomber' !), and they go for crazy prices now, ...not surprisingly it's highly inaccurate.

Anyhoo did someone mention a Lanc once...!

Really cheers mate, Wow would never thought I would get spares for that, Be handy in getting the thing right. I do wonder what you used the rest of the kit for however,

I will be back on the Lanc soon but got distracted with some housework that needs my attention. And clearing the Bench off after the mess of the Cathedral and Harrier job. :)

ROB !!

your PM box must be full as I have just had a message that you cannot receive any messages.

I have just re-sent Parts 1 and 3 of the Vulcan shots and have one in draft to send later. PM me when you get them please.

Dennis

I will check that out Dennis but the emails have arrived now. Thanks so much they are just wonderful shots, I will reply properly to them soon :)

Cheers :)

Rob...still wondering why you froze the parts in water.

Well its just a case of needing to get the parts apart safely, I was not happy with how they were put together so I needed to separate them.

Water expands when frozen so it forces the parts to separate just enough that you can get the bits to break apart at the weakest point (the glue line) which has been effectively crowbarred apart by the water expanding in the cavities,

• Like 1