FROG NOVO 1/96 Lancaster B1

On holiday in Margate probably 45 years ago,

(Yes, I am that old) I thought I'd found a cheap Lanc.

It wasn't until I got it back to the hotel that I saw the odd scale.

So, It had to fly above the other Lancs/B17's etc hanging from my bedroom ceiling.

It actually worked from a perspective point of view too!

I'd forgotten the engraved marking positions.

Quite common back then.

Good luck, Rob.

• Like 1

Cheers Pete I used to do that when I was a kid different scales in perspective. All good fun. I still think like that now lol.

Cheers Andy Yep 1/96 is good and the Tamiya 1/100 B-52D I really want to build sometime.

I started tidying up Stone Henge a little but not finished yet, I started to add a control column but it looks more like a Monument !.

307486FE-B20A-4486-924B-4641269F2E2E-252

Thought about the yoke and used micro blue tak sausages but this might not be what I use in the end.

2E20A2C7-BAB7-42A2-A8F6-2E5ED5EA41C3-252

I have flooded the panel lines with Mr Surfacer 500 to reduce them.

D0C1DDA9-FC05-4ED3-AD71-4890FEE29530-252

The frozen water submersion worked to get the parts separated but sadly one of the probs is warped.

4FC4B82D-9271-43A3-9BCC-84814AC7857D-252

Really enjoying this build so far, I have decided to do it as the kit option as Its actually just how I want my Lanc to be in a bog standard normal scheme with no elaborate embellishments.

Also there are lots of photos of it on the net which will aid me somewhat.

I am thinking about the lack of windows on the side and roof, I am not sure if I should drill through the thick plastic or use decals.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 2

I am thinking about the lack of windows on the side and roof, I am not sure if I should drill through the thick plastic or use decals.

Cheers Rob ;)

Hi Rob,

As far as the side windows go, remember they were often painted over, and were deleted altogether from about the end of 1943 onwards. S for Sugar at Hendon doesn't have them, if you look. If you go for a late war build, that'd solve that problem.

As for the cockpit scratchbuilding, I'd have a look at your cockpit transparency first if I were you - you might find it's so thick that nothing would be visible anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it being monolith-esque in there.

Have fun,

Dean

• Like 2

Hi Rob,

As far as the side windows go, remember they were often painted over, and were deleted altogether from about the end of 1943 onwards. S for Sugar at Hendon doesn't have them, if you look. If you go for a late war build, that'd solve that problem.

As for the cockpit scratchbuilding, I'd have a look at your cockpit transparency first if I were you - you might find it's so thick that nothing would be visible anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it being monolith-esque in there.

Have fun,

Dean

Hey Dean I did not know that !, Thanks just saved me a lot of work, I will hunt for one with no windows then. :)

Yes it is a Thick transparency, I am not gonna go too crazy in there but now you have reminded me of that I realise I should worry less.

I just thought that it needed something as it would look a bit sad and empty otherwise.

Cheers Dude, Rob ;)

It does not take long with Mr Surfacer I love the stuff and wanted to experiment with this panel line reduction for a while.

B074A4CF-D4B1-4290-A774-28035D874516-252

E509E917-C2A8-4DE4-BBFB-BE01441D17FD-252

I don't mind the panel lines on this one I just want to experiment and see if this may make it look bigger, I hope there will be a very slight depression to show were panels meet rather than trench warfare on the model.

Only got the rest of it to do now ;)

• Like 3

Canopy notwithstanding, The yellow circle

on the seatback may still be visible.

BTW, I went to see The Battle of Britain

at the cinema three times on that holiday.

It pretty much set my career path.

Look where I ended up!

• Like 1

Canopy notwithstanding, The yellow circle

on the seatback may still be visible.

BTW, I went to see The Battle of Britain

at the cinema three times on that holiday.

It pretty much set my career path.

Look where I ended up!

Yellow circle ?. I would love to see the Battle of Britain at the cinema, One of my fave films and do you know what I am gonna stick it on right now just to hear the fab music. AWSOME

Cheers Pete

Nice clean up on those wings. I'm intrigued with this build.

Thanks yes its a charming kit I love old kits and this one I hope will look tidy when finished, I am not sure if to do her pristine or have ago at some heavy weathering and possibly salt weathering. I dunno but Its a really lovely shape.

I am itching to get my hands on the new italeri Stirling too.

I love these big bomber can't get enough of them. Shakleton and Lincoln are must dos too.

God progress on this oldie!

Martin

Cheers Martin mate. Rustic cockpit though but better than nowt.

Cheers Rob ;)

Sage advice, put the canopy one, and see what's visible! You can always quickly knock up some bits in blu tack just so you can get an idea of what can/can't be seen first

....now for the evil twist

try this Rob

http://www.pan3sixty.co.uk/portfolio/avro-lancaster-kb889-at-duxford/

Yellow dot, racing green seats....you know you want too heh heh heh....

• Like 1

Sage advice, put the canopy one, and see what's visible! You can always quickly knock up some bits in blu tack just so you can get an idea of what can/can't be seen first

....now for the evil twist

try this Rob

http://www.pan3sixty.co.uk/portfolio/avro-lancaster-kb889-at-duxford/

Yellow dot, racing green seats....you know you want too heh heh heh....

Wow that is a fantastic link Troy, Wonderful aid for me that, Even though I am only going for rough shapes I can see the placement better now. Nowt like getting inside the pit to really understand it.

I see the Yellow dot now.

I will have to find a yellow dot decal I have some somewhere that should do the trick.

Cheers :)

Just looking at this as I get ready to go to work. :popcorn:

Do MY eyes deceive ME but I think you built a very fine and INCREDIBLY weirdscale Lancaster.

So HOW small will it be... :evil_laugh:

EXEMPLARY work so far......... :wow:

Houston I alway love your enthusiasm its good too see :)

Yes its an unusual but very nice scale. Smaller than 1/72 and bigger than 1/44TH, It is basically half the scale of 1/48th which is lovely.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

It 'll look good by the side of your FROG Vulcan!!!!

Thats the Idea dude. By the way I sent the paypal to you for the Videos thanks.

I am hoping I can get them done for the Bomber command table, The Frog Vulcan I am restoring with stay as a B1, it needs less work than yours that I bought off you, But with yours I want to honor its long life in Camo and add the larger tail and ECM under the left engine bay and make it a B1A.

Can't wait to see them together, Be nice to display them along side a FROG Victor and Valiant one day.

They should look nice with my Tamiya 1/100 Lightning, Buccaneer and Viggen when they are done.

Nice work there. I've got one of these in the stash somewhere but was going to do it a la the Stirling flying model - ie a scaled down Lancaster with DH engines and a single pilot to test the aerodynamics. Or possibly a twin engined torpedo bomber using the Lancaster shape.

Looking forward to seeing the final result.

• Like 1

Nice work there. I've got one of these in the stash somewhere but was going to do it a la the Stirling flying model - ie a scaled down Lancaster with DH engines and a single pilot to test the aerodynamics. Or possibly a twin engined torpedo bomber using the Lancaster shape.

Looking forward to seeing the final result.

That all sounds good I look forward to seeing what you do with yours, I suppose you could try and do it as a Manchester maybe.

I think this kit is still available from Eastern Express and someone else too now. I wish they would re pop the V Bombers.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have been reading through Woody37s build of the Manchester and after seeing all the Bombers on the Bomber Command table at Telford I was really inspired to crack on with this beast. I have been so busy recently I have not had chance along with the Valiant and other projects so now I am playing catch up with several builds. Including my DH Hornet stalled since 2011..

The MrSurfacer 500 has definatly had time to cure off now and I am sanding it back with mylar pads again. I am not sure it I will remove them from the fuselage as they add something and mark out the camo boundary line perfectly it seems. I might go in there with some mr surfacer 1000 to soften them a little.

I am not sure If I will bother to do much more detail in the pit , A little perhaps, but with the glassing pieces being thicker than me I no one is likely to see much in there.

I am unsure of the colour of the insides of a lanc but I am guessing its normal pit green. HU226 is it ?

I hope to get the thing done for Huddersfield along with the Frog Vulcan that also needs my attention soon.

7152A36E-D1A0-4C5C-AA38-E22823E6D42A_zps

C9791105-8558-4F26-B586-E72F538CA3D5_zps

Here are the Glazing sections Remind me of Foxx's Glacier mints..

BE1626EA-5129-43EB-8487-C3AC5ED6010D_zps

Overall there is not much to this kit, Nice and simple like me.

90543787-F6A6-407F-BEC3-D34A31A59762_zps

Here is stone henge in situ with blue tak

9CDB5B7E-3D20-4DC7-A7CE-9A6F026A113F_zps

2BAD87EF-19EE-4BF4-B169-39AEC4B8E020_zps

46F44D13-3C0D-480B-842F-75D533C817B6_zps

Under the glass this is what you can/can't see, Its not to bad but I am not sure what else I should add.

45B89013-B441-44D9-847A-9F4E7DE4F843_zps

Any suggestions on what I should bother to add to the pit welcome. I will be a while sanding the other wing..

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 4

Looking at this its quite laughable how woefully out of scale my interior is... I was only guessing and throwing scrap together.. Looks like its ready for the Ant Sized man on his Birthday..!

Maybe I should start again :(

Great to see it moving again Rob, a baby Lancaster for the Sig :)

Cheers, Yep it would be nice to have a few oddities for the SIG particularly as I now understand all scales are welcome where as I thought it was strictly 72nd and 48th before.

I think this size is the ideal compromise between an acceptable display size and transport size, Shame there were not many more 1/96 models out there.

Cheers Rob ;)

I built this one eons ago. And I painted it in a two tone camo of Humbrol 19 and 69, :yikes: ....go on I dare you! I was just discovering Jethro Tull at the time so could be forgiven for that

Is that post office red Dan yellow !, wow sounds like something McDonald's would do to a Lancaster and arm with bouncing burgers EWW!, experimentation excuses you but that must have been one hell of a trip ! ;)

I think I will stick to Brown Green and Black :)

• Like 1

This is quite a nice kit. Believe it or not 1/96th is my favorite scale and it was quite popular in the early days of plastics. I have a large collection of this scale and I've even converted one into a Lincoln, (never finished)

A 48" roundel in 1/48 is a 96" roundel in 1/96 and a 36" roundel in 1/72 is 54" in 1/96.

John

• Like 1