FROG NOVO 1/96 Lancaster B1

Errr, do you mean the dog or Mrs Nimrod?? :fool::D

Well I would hope both but in my expiriance mentioning Dogs and your mrs in the same sentence is dangerous territory and usually results in wet eyes and falsetto voices.. :blink:

• Like 1

:rofl:

Laughing in pain is he....

LOL..

Right finally some progress..

Roughly painted the insides as you wont see much and will wash it later.

C72588F2-49B5-44B1-AC8D-9E9D9E07D588_zps

I used a cocktail stick to support my plasticard bulkhead while it sets to the fuselage half and then I can milliput on top of this.

E302AAEE-8C7B-47A8-9171-D9FBE8CB1BB5_zps

I sanded off the mr surfacer, Its reduced the panel lines and I am not sure why I bothered doing this now... Oh well.

62763E2C-28DE-47AD-B07F-00BE83DA3CD1_zps

87C03C8C-8D58-4D8C-96DF-4336281BE65C_zps

So soon it will be a Lancaster shape. :)

The only part of this build I am not looking forward to is masking the windows I may well opt to do as Deanflyer and a few others suggest and paint some clear decal paper to make the window frames.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 2

More progress wings fitted and wheels temporary fitted while I set it all up :)

EED7EB81-44E9-4211-869B-65FE957C79E9_zps

A8CAB82C-2004-4E80-BDD8-7ECC79CC0ADE_zps

02C5DAF1-B46B-4515-8793-9A7099A039CF_zps

02C5DAF1-B46B-4515-8793-9A7099A039CF_zps

I apologize for the background photos of someone elses build I used them as a rough guide when doing the insides

Cheers Rob ;)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 2

Yep, that is definitely a Lanc Rob, I would know that shape anywhere. Looking good mate.

I think it looks really great for the age of the kit it holds up well. They caught the shape well.

It also looks nice with just 2 engines :)

• Like 1

I can see a Manchester conversion coming up. :thumbsup:

If it's possible and the drawings exist I'd happily try to convert one. But not this one I just got the engine bays together.

I don't like the way the probs fit so I am going to mods the fit and try to cast some replacement props in resin as one is cabbaged.

It will be handy having some spares as this will do a few shows if it looks ok at the end.

• Like 1

Well I have the engines on now and I managed to get the Frog Vulcan back on the table too. I need to update that whip soon too. Its nice to see how these old frog kits look together, The Vulcan B1 may have been smaller than the B2 but its still a bit bigger than the Lanc.

6B1E3199-A708-4C2D-9E48-3C10A24F8DE5_zps

69138EE0-185A-4C47-B8FC-B7AF667B698C_zps

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Cheers guys I keep picking it up and want to continue it's just been a mad few months. I will resume work soon as I can as I will on the vulcan as I am keen to see these too next to each other.

It's certainly a good shaped Lanc the turrets are the bits that scare me al the masking etc. I may opt to take dean flyers advice and paint some clear decal paper and cut into small strips as I might get a tidier result like this. Could also be good for other details like black wing lines etc.

Then decals the right size for letters is gonna be a pain.

Other than that tidying up and priming is likely the next stage.

• 1 month later...

is this thread dead now Rob?

Nope not at all im just way busyier than I used to be and progress is very slow compared to how I normally am

The very interesting project.
I began 25 years back to build models NOVO (ex-FROG) and since then I still had very many not constructed NOVO models (now I build models in 1/48 scale), which I exchanged for western models with the Czech colleagues

• Like 1

I hope I can return to this soon along with many other builds. Never abandoned just they have to fit in around other things now.

It's not really that far off painting I guess but still needs a fair bit of tidying up and the frames all doing.

Looks very interesting. How are you coping for 'odd scale' markings?

Trevor

Hi Trevor. I have not give it too much thought roundels should be fine but leters and serials might be difficult to get hold of.

Xtradecal do some 36" red codes for 1/72 which would scale to 48" in 1/96. They would be a bit thicker (8" in scale vs 6") but I'm guessing they would look OK. I am not aware of any serials that would work in that scale, but I have previously done my own serials on white decal paper, printing them out as red on a black background in RAF font (http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=19). The black background is easy to blend in with whatever slightly-not-black colour you decide to go with.

Regards,

Adrian

[edit] when I posted on this thread ages ago about roundel sizes I had got it into my head that we were talking 1/144, not 1/96, so my maths was well out!. However, there are so many different sizes that I'm sure you can find 1/72 roundels in a suitable size for a 1/96 Lancaster.

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Xtradecal do some 36" red codes for 1/72 which would scale to 48" in 1/96. They would be a bit thicker (8" in scale vs 6") but I'm guessing they would look OK. I am not aware of any serials that would work in that scale, but I have previously done my own serials on white decal paper, printing them out as red on a black background in RAF font (http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=19). The black background is easy to blend in with whatever slightly-not-black colour you decide to go with.

Regards,

Adrian

[edit] when I posted on this thread ages ago about roundel sizes I had got it into my head that we were talking 1/144, not 1/96, so my maths was well out!. However, there are so many different sizes that I'm sure you can find 1/72 roundels in a suitable size for a 1/96 Lancaster.

Hi Adrian sorry it's been so long to reply I've been very busy changing jobs and working with my new Band now life is settling a little I might find some time to do more work on this and other multitude of unfinished models

I have on the go thanks for your help. I think I best crack on and get this painted as now I look at it from a fresh perspective aside from gap filling and bodywork she's nearly there.

Hi Rob

I'm well behind the curve on this one! She's looking really good, as always you're showing what can be done with a bit of good honest modeling! Keep it up mate.

John

Cheers John mate sorry for the slow reply been so busy the last few months have slipped by. For me this is one of them crossroad years were loads of unexpected stuff happens and you have to work hard to choose a new path and fight off the chaff from the old path and now I'm going down a new road. Despite being really exciting about my new job im pleased to see the modelling itch does not go away and this morning I had a scratch by taking file to a model and progressing a little further it's amazing how much just doing a little sanding can make you feel happy. Proof it's addictive I guess. I'll have to catch up with your builds if you have out on the go at the mo.

All the best Rob :)

• Like 2

Hi Adrian sorry it's been so long to reply I've been very busy changing jobs and working with my new Band now life is settling a little I might find some time to do more work on this and other multitude of unfinished models

I have on the go thanks for your help. I think I best crack on and get this painted as now I look at it from a fresh perspective aside from gap filling and bodywork she's nearly there.

Cheers John mate sorry for the slow reply been so busy the last few months have slipped by. For me this is one of them crossroad years were loads of unexpected stuff happens and you have to work hard to choose a new path and fight off the chaff from the old path and now I'm going down a new road. Despite being really exciting about my new job im pleased to see the modelling itch does not go away and this morning I had a scratch by taking file to a model and progressing a little further it's amazing how much just doing a little sanding can make you feel happy. Proof it's addictive I guess. I'll have to catch up with your builds if you have out on the go at the mo.

All the best Rob :)

No problems Rob, I fully understand, been there done that............. I don't know what the last build I finished was that you saw but these were the last two. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234975867-the-ice-queen-cometh/ and the latest http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234984193-the-mountain-cat-canberra/ and one you may have seen? http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234983834-irish-air-corps-avro-504/ I'm looking forward to seeing more of your fab work mate.

John

• Like 1