Revell 1/72 B-17F Flying Fortress "Memphis Belle"

Hi Everyone,

Here is my first completed build during my week off.

This kit has to be one of my favourite builds of the year so far.

It comes with decals with 2 different decal schemes for 2 different B-17s : The Memphis Bele and The Shamrock Special.

I have chosen to build the kit as the Memphis Belle with the following details : B-17F-10-BO, serial 41-24485, DF-A, Memphis Belle, 8th Air Force, 91st Bomb Group, 324th Bomb Squadron, Bassingbourn, UK, May 1943

Anyway here are the photos :

MemphisBelleTopFull_zpsd41d31f7.jpg

MemphisBelle3quarterright_zps250fcd96.jp

MemphisBelle3quarterleft_zpsc3d95156.jpg

MemphisBelleTopClose_zpsc697e749.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comments are welcome.

Rick

• Like 9

Wonderful job of this famous aircraft.

Brings back memories of the film, it doesn't matter how many times you have seen it, or long long it's been on before you start watching, you still end up watching it till the end !

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

A huge and impressive build of the iconic Fort, nice one for finishing it, I'm sure it'll have a special place on the shelf.

Thanks Parabat,

She currently has a place next to my P-51 and D-Day Diorama. I will be trying to find a new home for her in my display cabinet.

Wonderful job of this famous aircraft.

Brings back memories of the film, it doesn't matter how many times you have seen it, or long long it's been on before you start watching, you still end up watching it till the end !

Cheers Pat

Thanks Pat,

I absolutely love the Memphis Belle movie and know exactly what you mean about watching it all the way to the end.

Cheers,

Rick

• Like 1

HI

very nice !

I like it, very nicely done

Thanks guys,

This was a very enjoyable build. I think my next bomber will be a Lancaster especially after today's events.

Cheers,

Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801

Brilliant build BUT one question, perspex nose painted?...

WHY.

in the film it was clear and I can't remember any with a painted nose

Thanks very much, I followed the instructions which called for it to be painted. I did think it was strange but just went with it.

Rick

Hi Rick

I hadn't spotted the painted nose, I don't think that right, can you clean it off ? Assuming you want to, I believe Mr Muscle works wonders in that department.

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

I will have to try and remove the plastic piece from the plane and clean it off, I've got the stuff I used to clean the paint off the Enterprise E kit I did earlier in the year.

Cheers,

Rick

Beautiful Fort, I hope to get mad enough to try building one myself too, and have as nice B-17 as you have to show off! In case you can´t remove the paint from the nose piece, you should have a second one, albeit with the dual mg:s, supplied in the kit. Regards, V-P

Beautiful Fort, I hope to get mad enough to try building one myself too, and have as nice B-17 as you have to show off! In case you can´t remove the paint from the nose piece, you should have a second one, albeit with the dual mg:s, supplied in the kit. Regards, V-P

Thanks very much V-P.

I am going to use the dual gun nose piece instead of trying to clear the paint off the single piece as I don't want to damage the piece if the fairy power spray is too strong for clear parts.

Rick

• 4 months later...

That is an impressive build and you should be proud of it. Funny, I had not noticed the painted nose perspex either! It will look much better once cleaned up.

Just one more detail if I may dare: on your next build, go for some filler at wing and tail-fuselage joints. Then it will be pretty much perfect.

Beautiful model!!!!

JR