Tamiya 1/48th P-51D 8th AF release.

Airgunner

My entry for this GB, first ever Mustang in 48th.

As usual, started with the cockpit...

184D0298-A469-4C1C-9E94-ABCB9B42022A_zps

Fuselage interior...just added a few Mike Grants placards to liven it up a bit...

FAD1651C-F48E-4911-962C-EB5F92014824_zps

612D84D3-4098-48B5-B1B6-1C93F6239A05_zps

Instrument panel... painted up and Mike Grants dials added and Future for the glass...

B0DC6D21-2048-486E-9DF4-B6BC991D1312_zps

Sorry for the crappy Iphone pics, collecting the camera from the menders tomorrow so hopefully will get some better ones up...

Edited by Airgunner
  • Like 1

So, I decided to do an aircraft from 356th Fighter Group, the decals are nice and bright, and more importantly, cheap!

Some progress pictures, got quite a bit done over the last week off work. Having never built one of these before, I was impressed with the way it went together, it really is such a simple build.

Cockpit installed and fuselage sealed, painted and decaled.

IMG_0098_zps23fa8133.jpg

IMG_0097_zpsa1f395e9.jpg

Wings also built up as one unit and finished. Love the way the kit is engineered to allow this, makes everything so much easier.

IMG_0099_zps99318a92.jpg

IMG_0100_zpsf2ac28fe.jpg

Ancillaries....

IMG_0096_zpsbd85b53e.jpg

Fuselage was painted in Alclad II Airframe Aluminium, wings Aluminium and flaps and horizontal stabilizers in Duralumin. All over Halfords Grey plastic primer. First time I've really used Alclad, and the key really is in the preparation. Primer was sprayed on then polished with an 8000 grit Microscale polishing cloth and any imperfection filled and polished again. I though I got it sorted then the Alclad still showed them! More prep on the next one I do.

I assembled the wings first and painted and decaled them as a unit separately from the fuselage as it made painting so much easier and they are such a good fit it made perfect sense to do it this way.

The cockpit was installed and the fuselage closed, painted and decaled before the horizontal stabilizers add. Rudder was separated for easier painting and will be positioned to add a bit of interest.

All I need is one clear day to get it altogether....

Edited by Airgunner
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cracking finish!

Lovely work on those diamond decals, would love to do a diamond nose one day but getting that bit right always scares me, lol.

How did you get on with joining the wing and fuselage together after their painted?

Nice!! You did cheat a bit, though, by showing a beginning and then- suddenly- done! We want to see a bit of suffering... I liked your approach of doing the fuselage and wing as sub-assemblies, too.

bob

That's how it was, a start and an end! It just fell together, such an easy kit to build.

How did you get on with joining the wing and fuselage together after their painted?

It was easy, it was a snap together fit, didn't really need glue, plus it made a nice demarcation between paint colours on the wing and fuselage.

Thanks for the kind comments guys, much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...